Why do you cruise?

imortalcandy

Mouseketeer
We had our first trip to the world Feb 09 and have gone 2 more time since and love it.
We want to cruise May 11 on the dream and I was just wondering what you like about cruising?
How does it compare to the parks?
Do you prefer the world to the ship?

I cruise on non-Disney cruise lines because it's usually a fairly economical way to visit new places.

I cruise on DCL because it's Disney. There's usually nothing "economical" about it! :lmao: Given the choice between going to WDW OR on a Disney cruise - I would choose the parks.

I have always enjoyed the parks and have been going to them since 1979 when I was eight years old but I am really starting to enjoy the cruises more. We have been on three cruises, all with DCL, and have loved every minute of them. Going to all the different ports it's like a few mini vacations in one without the hassle of having to repack and chance resorts or get on another plane. I also enjoy getting to know the people who are trying to make my vacation a more pleasant experience (such as our room steward, wait staff or entertainment staff). To me it makes it feel like a more personable experience.

Relaxation, service, knowing my kids are safe and happy, alone time with DH. It differs from wdw because we all slow down on the cruise - its just a different kind of fun.

I love love love the dinners, highlight of the day. I love being around water period. I am a water or mountains type of girl. The beauty of the islands and the ship. The relax-fulness with a lot to do at the same time. Eggs Benedict's from Palo Brunch.

The ports since i like seeing new places. The shows are fun and the entertainers amazing.

We like the parks, but we LOVE the cruise. On the ship, MOM is on vacation too. At the parks, mom still has to be sure that everyone gets to do some of what they want, deal with where people want to eat, etc. Also, on the cruise you basically know in advance what it will cost. Yes, you can choose to spend more, but all the necessities are taken care of up front and you know what to budget for tips.

The cruise is like taking a deluxe resort with VIP park service and adding the water.

I like the options that a cruise provides for the entire family. All of us can decide what we want to do to have a fun day. We can spend the entire day together or only be together at dinner. We can do 100 activities or sit by the pool. My older kids do not have to follow my younger kid's schedule. I don't have to worry about where we are going to eat. I don't even have to worry about when the older 3 are going to eat because there are plenty of food options all day (we do all eat dinner together). I can see different places and know that I am returning to my safe, clean, ship. It's just easy guaranteed fun for every member of my family.

Jess

I like the cruise better than walt disney world/land because of the relaxing atmosphere and the ports of call are really fun (esp. CC)I still love the parks though!!!!princess:princess:princess:

We have our first trip in a year, but I have been wanting this trip for over 3 years now. I have heard such amazing things about DCL and the whole experience. It really is the part I am most looking forward to. I have no expectations, no excursions this time, I just want to soak it all in. WDW part of the trip is more for the kiddos and their Nana. All I can think of is sitting on Castaway Cay with a nice slushy beverage!

I think the big attraction for us is the escapism. We love WDW and go every holiday season but it is not relaxing.

The ship has all the Disney touches but with no or slow internet and limited TV plus so much to do it is really like being in your own little happy place. CC is just what you would picture a Disney island to be.

For first timers considering going there is a big difference between the 7 day and the shorter cruises. The 7 days usually have the slower (but not slow) at sea days whereas the shorter cruises tend to cram more in.

Take the plunge you will not regret it.

I too love the parks, used to work at them actually. BUT since we went on our first Disney Cruise in May 09, that's all I want to do. Forget the parks....
I have a 5yo DD and she really enjoys the characters. Where can you see so many characters with minimal wait? And if she's happy...we're happy. Plus, time for DH and I to relax, cause she just LOVES the club!. It's so wonderful. I start wanting and planning the next trip before the current one is over. Boy do I want to go back.....

DH and I love WDW and DCL. There are advantages to each. But one big advantage of cruising is the ability to really escape. Using email and cell phone is so expensive that our places of employment do not expect us to check in each day. How beautiful! Now I can really relax!

We had our first trip to the world Feb 09 and have gone 2 more time since and love it.
We want to cruise May 11 on the dream and I was just wondering what you like about cruising?
How does it compare to the parks?
Do you prefer the world to the ship?

Cruises are the ultimate relaxation vacation.
I got on the plane, took the shuttle to my hotel in Orlando, took the shuttle back to the airport, on to the ship, didn't even have to think for a week.
I can't speak to Disney World, never been there. Compared to Disneyland, the park is crowded, and I've never been on a ship, including the Magic on a packed New Years week cruise, that felt packed. Okay, disembarkation morning was packed and a mess, ( but THAT is a factor of the lack of a disembarkation system on Disney, cruising other lines that has not been an issue).

I LOVE cruising for many reasons -
I love that we all are spending time together & no one can use a cell phone!
- having people wait on me instead of me waiting on everyone.
But my favorite part is you get to wake up in different places every day so you can taste different countries

If you are unsure about what to do, our first taste of cruising was the land & sea vacation, 4 days at the parks & 3 on the ship - we did it because I was afraid of getting seasick (I get motion sick at the drop of a hat! didn't happen on the ship at all) I always recommend that vacation to people who want to get a little of both.

Never do the cruise without doing some park time as well.

We initially started cruising cause my husband's co-workers didn't know the meaning of 'vacation'. The only way we could stop them from paging and calling him was to be out of reach. It's not like they were calling for important things either and we were over it. Sometimes you need to toss those baby birds out of the nest in order to teach them how to fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!