Why do people stay off-site?

generally speaking you can get more room for the $. Take a look at Floridays or World Quest. Not the same magic but large families can get 2-3 bedroom condos for reasonable prices

nan1217 said:
Disney does now! That's one of the reasons off-site seems more expensive to me - lots of places still charge a daily fee.

Thanks for clearing that up..i got worried for a second there.. I need my free internet at night lol

I think most people stay off-site because it is cheaper. I usually stay off-site and on my last trip (March 2012) we stayed at a very nice, clean hotel for around $50/night that was 1 mile from DTD. We had a fridge and microwave in the room, and free wifi, so no daily internet fees or anything like that. But we drive to Orlando, so we didn't have to get a rental car (did pay for parking at WDW, but it still ended up being much cheaper than if we had stayed at a WDW resort).

In fact, after I decided that I wanted to stay at a WDW resort on our next trip, I had a hard time justifying to myself and my boyfriend that we SHOULD stay on-site. It is a LOT more than we would usually be paying. But I haven't stayed at a resort since I was a kid (POR back when it was Dixie Landings), so I decided to do it just because I want to. :) With the discount for Feb 2013 it will be a little cheaper than I first thought, but still about $700 more than we would have paid to stay off-site... just so that we can stay at a Disney resort.:banana: My only real excuse for it boils down to, I just want to! So I can very easily see why people, especially those wanting to save money, would stay off-site. There are a lot of perfectly nice non-Disney hotels to stay at, if totally immersing yourself in Disneyness for your whole trip is not that important to you.

I've stayed on and off site as well.

I prefer onsite mainly for transportation purposes. However, I do enjoy offsite as well. When we stay offsite it's usually because we use a family time share. Private pools, full kitchens, and separate bedrooms are nice when you're not necessarily paying extra for it.

OK, I'm looking at several trips to WDW in 2013 and, although I've only stayed on-site before, I thought I'd look into trying off-site options as well.

I'm not sure it's ever going to make much sense for us. By the time you add up the airport transfer fees for off-site hotels, daily internet fees and losing on-site benefits, there are only 2 times it seems like it would make sense for somebody to stay off-site:

- people traveling with hotel points
- larger families that need more space

Am I missing something here? Are there people outside of those 2 groups that stay off-site and can help convince me to give it a try?

We've done both. The reason for off-site is cost. I stayed in a 3 br condo with a full kitchen and laundry (and wi-fi) for $99/nt at spring break. Even with parking fees and a rental car, we saved A LOT of money.
The biggest surprise to me was how much more relaxing the vacation was. Even though we went to the park everyday at rope drop, we still took afternoon breaks at our condo, and returned for late nights at the park. Being able to spread out in a condo with all the comforts of home was awesome.

That said, everyone likes to vacation differently.

We have done plenty of both, but usually stay offsite at Bahama Bay. They have large 2-3 bedroom condos, nice pools, and pretty landscaping. Also, you can cook meals in the kitchen, and wash a load of clothes if needed.

This January we are staying onsite because the total cost is actually cheaper!

Offsite:

- The Bahama Bay advertised price is very low. But they add on fees. For 4 nights it would cost $381 + $45 tax + $24 "resort fee" + $65 cleaning fee = $515
- We would need to rent a car, and Orbitz shows off-brand at $116 for 5 days (but too many horror stories about those) to $314 for the cheapest major company. Plus at least $50 for gas and $36 for parking at WDW, plus ~$10 in tolls = $410. Also... last year we rented a car and decided to stay one extra day. The car rental charge for that one day was more than the rate we paid for the entire week. I refuse to get taken by them again, and the best way is to not rent a car at all!
- Of course we need to buy park tickets for 3 people for 3 days... $726
- and we need to buy food... say $40 (?) * 3 people * 4 days... $480
- Total cost: $2131

Onsite:

- POR, preferred room, Stay/Play/Dine: $1767

I could become a convert to on-site resorts!

Free breakfast for a family of 5 or 6 is a big savings, especially the places with the hot breakfasts. Some off-site properties have eggs, waffles, French toast, etc, etc that would cost about $15 per person on property (rock bottom price).

More space, microwaves, additional TV channels, indoor hallways in case of rain, 2-room suites for the price of a value.

This all adds up to $ savings, especially if you have driven down & not dealt with airports.

We like on property better because we LOVE being in the midst of all things Disney, but we have spent a night or two off property occasionally. I can see why it is much more cost effective to stay off for some people, especially those who want to go to Sea World, Universal, etc, etc - not just Disney.

For us - Pop, POR - Can't beat them!

I've done both.. and my last two stays were a sort of hybrid .. staying on-Disney at the non-Disney Swan and Dolphin. Greatly enjoyed both of those stays.

We hope to do a Disney-on-site in January and then hopefully back to the S/D in June... Just two of us traveling...

So.. for us, the rental car is as much hassle as treat. I refuse to spend more than 250$ to rent a car for a week. I won't. You can't make me. I watch the Alamo specials very closely and if they don't have a rental car special, I don't have a rental car. Last June I got a Hyundai SUV for 244. All in.

Looking at the basic math.. for the two of us, a standard hotel room is all the space we need. And therefore, when I add the cost of car rental, gas, tolls and parking to off-site room costs.. it's almost always a loser for us.

That said, we have sorta decided we wanna try a "Windsor Hills" vacation sometime as a 'different kinda Orlando vacation'...

For what all that's worth,

Knox

Room quality, rewards programs, realistic prices.

Once I get past cute Disney has some real quality issues. Heck my company travel policy would not let me stay at a Disney Value or Moderate (no exterior corridor hotels allowed)

We have never stayed offsite, but will be in 11 days. The deal was just too good to pass up. My husband and I currently have a preferred room booked with the AP discount at CBR for our trip in 11 days. However, I am calling today to cancel it (actually will just move it to May, so I don't have to pay the $200.00 cancellation fee:rotfl:). The reason I am cancelling is that a coworker offered me her timeshare and was able to get me into Westgate Town Center (just one mile outside WDW gates over by AK, so maybe five minutes to get onto Disney property). She's just charging me $400.00 for seven nights, then we'll be switching over to RPR at Universal for one night. We'll be saving about $740.00 on accommodations.

We were paying $1343.00 for six nights at CBR and two nights at Universal and that's using an AP discount for both. We are now paying $601.00 for seven nights at Westgate Town Center plus one night at Universal, so less than half price. The two nights at Universal alone (even using an AP discount) were going to cost us more than what seven nights in the time share is. Six nights at CBR (again using an AP discount) was more than twice what seven nights in that one bedroom time share is costing us, plus we'll have alot more space and more amenities.

For that $400.00 we'll have a King bed, two baths (including one with a big whirlpool tub and a separate glass shower stall in that one master bathroom), a fully equipped kitchen with all utensils/pots/pans, microwave, stove, refrigerator, table and chairs, washer/dryer, sofa (that would fold out into a queen size bed if we needed it), two TVs, Cable TV, DVD player, screened in balconies, 14 pools, 14 hot tubs, gym, baseball, volleyball, tennis courts, a mini golf course, paddleboats, bicycles, a Disney movie theater (bring your own popcorn), a fishing lake, BBQ facilities, onsite restaurants, and free transportation to WDW and Universal parks.

We had planned on renting a car anyway, so transportation does not play a factor in the decision. With a rental car we'll have access to alot of offsite dining options too.

My coworker has told me that she may have extra time available in 2013 too, so I may rent the same unit from her again next May even though that trip will be a solo trip. I have an AP, so don't have to pay for parking at WDW or Universal, seldom use EMH, and prefer a rental car over Disney transportation, so if I can get a lovely timeshare a mile outside Disney gates for less than half what I'd pay at a WDW Moderate resort, even using an AP discount, why wouldn't I. The time share is so much nicer than Disney resorts and is only costing me $57.14/night. I can't get an AP discounted value resort for that price,much less a moderate, which is what I usually stay in.

Just wondering if the OP will be doing a new blog post based on the information she gleans from this thread. :scratchin It would make a great article since the subject comes up quite frequently.

As much as my bank account screams that it makes more sense to stay "offsite", I cannot bring myself to do it. Logically, it make sense on so many levels. But I cannot get past the feeling that it isn't a Disney vacation. It's an Orlando vacation. Orlando is not what draws me to Central Florida. Disney does.

Call it pixie dust addiction or a Disney magic brain cloud or even foolish, if you want. I just feel differently when I'm on Disney property than I do when I'm outside of it. I tried it. It doesn't work for me. And if I'm going to spend beaucoup bucks and precious time off on a vacation, I want to be happy where I am. :)

I think it all depends on the family interest. The last four time I' ve stayed onsite, but Im willing to stay offsite since we rarely use the onsite benefits. I've learned that EMH makes the parks busier, so I tend to go to the parks that don' t have them that day, also I always rent a car, so don't depend on Disney transportation. i usually visit all other non- disney theme parks. So the main reason for us to stay on site is that with special offers the price for three is usually cheaper than most nice resorts offsite.

I have stayed on-site 8-10 times(value or mods), but next time I go, I am looking at offsite. Just looks like there is more bang for the buck in terms of room size & quality, sometimes for less money, not to mention more dining options at more reasonable prices.

Ever think about how far a portion of the deluxe room rates would go off-site?

I don't really care about driving as long as I am pretty close to WDW. I've grown tired of waiting for buses, and once I get on, being crammed like sardines.

Not saying, I have given up on staying onsite, but I will take a hard look next time at both options.

OK, I'm looking at several trips to WDW in 2013 and, although I've only stayed on-site before, I thought I'd look into trying off-site options as well.

I'm not sure it's ever going to make much sense for us. By the time you add up the airport transfer fees for off-site hotels, daily internet fees and losing on-site benefits, there are only 2 times it seems like it would make sense for somebody to stay off-site:

Am I missing something here? Are there people outside of those 2 groups that stay off-site and can help convince me to give it a try?

If we drive, we consider staying off-site. We can get a $20 no holler hotel 10 minutes from the parks for $28 a night. We have phones with tethering capabilities, so we have internet. We're AP holders, so we get "free" parking.

We've done this most often for long (10+ day trips) around Marathon time. Granted, we have no kids, and spend very little time at the room. In january it can be hit or miss for swimming, so we don't care about amenities.

For example:

10 nights at All Star Movies in January (with 25% GP offer)- $837
10 nights at Rodeway inn Maingate- $352

The cost savings will basically pay for our AP renewal the following year.

We stayed off site last year free with points at a Marriott Resident Inn right outside of DTD and it was GREAT! We had a HUGE room (family suite with kids theming in one area of the room with twin beds), a kitchen, etc. They had a free hot breakfast buffet, complete with large MICKEY WAFFLES! We found a dirt cheap rate on a car, so it made transportation easy.

We have done it both ways also, and definitely saved big $$$ staying offsite. Loved Silver Lake Resort when we stayed there in 2002 and 2003, and it was 5 minutes or less down Sherbreth (sp?) Rd. to AK. Stayed at a cheap Radisson one of our trips, hated it- it was nasty. Stayed at HRH at UO, loved it (loved the fotl and vibe).

So having the extra space, washer/dryer, kitchen and jacuzzi tub at Silver Lake as well as saving hundreds, that is why we chose SLR. The fotl passes and fun vibe is why we chose HRH at Universal. Would do both again.

That being said, we loved staying at BC last week, and would do it again if we could afford it... :)

Just wondering if the OP will be doing a new blog post based on the information she gleans from this thread. :scratchin It would make a great article since the subject comes up quite frequently.

As much as my bank account screams that it makes more sense to stay "offsite", I cannot bring myself to do it. Logically, it make sense on so many levels. But I cannot get past the feeling that it isn't a Disney vacation. It's an Orlando vacation. Orlando is not what draws me to Central Florida. Disney does.
Call it pixie dust addiction or a Disney magic brain cloud or even foolish, if you want. I just feel differently when I'm on Disney property than I do when I'm outside of it. I tried it. It doesn't work for me. And if I'm going to spend beaucoup bucks and precious time off on a vacation, I want to be happy where I am. :)

I felt the same way but my when it came down to Disney and offsite or No Disney, I tried offsite. I was very anxious and doubting the decision all the way until our trip arrived. After our first sight of the condo, the easy drive to the parks, and saving a lot of travel time not using Disney buses...I was sold.

That said, it is different than on-site and I definitely felt less Disney-ed and more relaxed.

I wrote a post called "Why I will (probably) never stay off-site" that expanded on what I said in my original message here. Every reply has basically just supported my original assumptions that people who are suited to staying off-site are: people who require more space, people traveling w/points and those with a car (and I don't fall into any of those categories).

For us it came down to the quality of the rooms. I really wanted to stay onsite for our trip next month but even the Deluxe Disney resorts don't come close compared to a offsite hotel resort in respect to room quality. Disney resorts are in need of refurbishment and updating. After along day at the parks, I want a nice room to come back to.

For us it came down to the quality of the rooms. I really wanted to stay onsite for our trip next month but even the Deluxe Disney resorts don't come close compared to a offsite hotel resort in respect to room quality. Disney resorts are in need of refurbishment and updating. After along day at the parks, I want a nice room to come back to.

While I might agree that some resorts may need updating and refurbishment, I feel that its not fair to make that broad of a statement for all of WDW's 24 resorts. There are probably more marginal or worse hotels in the Greater Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV area than not. JMHO and YMMV......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter