Why do people choose to rely on Disney transportation?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by AngelEyes, Dec 14, 2006.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Honorary Geordie

I've seen so many posts recently about long waits for Disney transportation, specifically buses. Before I go any farther, I'm not trying to start something or put down the people that choose to go this route. I would just honestly like to know why?

We are lucky in that it only takes us about 10 hours to drive to Disney from where we live. We've driven it twice so we had our own car with us. However, we've flown down there more than we have driven and we have ALWAYS rented a car. One reason is because I like knowing that if there is an emergency or I just need to go to the store, I can, but the other reason is because standing around waiting for a bus seems like pure hell to me. I always feel bad for the people that are having to wait at the end of a long day. It just seems to me that it is so much easier and less time consuming to rent a car and drive to the parks. If you're staying onsite you get free parking anyway.

Of course, my tendency to be a bit of a control freak probably factors into my decision to always rent a car too. :rolleyes:

So, my question is, why not rent a car?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jimmiej

jimmiej I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I tend to be directionaly challenged & when I'm on vacation, I don't want or need the stress. The one time we drove :scared1: , we never used our car to get around. As perplexed as you are by us bus riders, I'm equally perplexed by those who drive. To me & DW, the Disney transportation is part of the magic. The % of time we've waited over 10 minutes for a bus, monorail, or boat is miniscule.

4. tippy77

tippy77 Mouseketeer

Because Disney transportation is free and renting a car is not!

Last time I was there, in early February 2005 we never had long waits for buses; however I totally understand that during peak times the waits are much longer.

5. MaryKatesMom

MaryKatesMom DIS Veteran

I can't imagine dealing with the hassles of renting a car. Hassles from the rental company, finding parking, taking time away from my vacation to get gas, walking from the parking lot. Not being able to go right to MK. Not to mention getting in a hot car that has been sitting in 100 degree heat all day.

I find it difficult to manage tourist traffic (stopping unexpectedly, being in the wrong lane, driving erratically while trying to find the place they are looking for. The bus drivers are professionals at avoiding the tourists and know exactly where they are going.

I enjoy at the end of a long day walking the much shorter walk to the buses, having someone pull up, plopping down on a seat, holding my DD's as we enjoy the scenery on the way home. Getting off the bus and walking the shorter distance from the bus (than the parking lot).

Also, we stay at BC and therefore walk to MGM or Epcot. No car necessary.

For awhile AK wasn't allowing car's in their parking lot on EMH until the opening so if you took Disney transportation you were at the turnstiles but if you were in a car you were in line to get into the parking lot.

Occasionally there is a glitch (getting stuck on the monorail and missing the fireworks) or the bus just doesn't show. It is annoying when you JUST miss the bus.

Even I'm guilty of thinking the bus is taking "forever" when it hasn't.

All that said, I'd still take a car to the water parks. Tranportation to those parks is much longer than the other theme parks and it it more comfortable to be in a bathing suit in a car vs a bus.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

6. AngelEyes

We've used the Monorail and the boats (MK and the ones running from The Boardwalk) and have never had to wait a long amount of time. Never used the buses though. I'm glad that the waits for you have been small. Like I said, the control freak in me would just rather drive. I think that Disney does a GREAT job with their signs and we've never had a problem getting around on property. I was nervous the first time, but after that, it was smooth sailing. Do you live in a city where you rely on public transportation alot, like New York? I don't. I drive everywhere I go. That might factor into it as well.

7. cleo

cleo <font color=blue>Egyptian Beauty Queen<br><font co

Our friends from overseas also have the added stress of driving on what they would consider the 'wrong side of the road', AND they are required to purchase the expensive insurance that goes along with renting a car. They can't rely on their normal insurance to cover a hire car, as we can.

Some families don't have the budget for the extra expense of a rental and count themselves lucky to be visiting Disney at all. I'm sure there are lots of reasons why people would use Disney transportation. And frankly, it isn't always slow and inconvenient. Sometimes it's actually easier!

8. AngelEyes

That is a good point about the cost. How do you get to Disney property from the airport and what are the costs involved, if any? We had to take a cab one time cause our flight got delayed and by the time we got there, the rental car place was closed, and it was more expensive then I thought it would be.

9. CheshireVal

CheshireVal Can you stand on your head?<BR><font color="purple

I drive to Disney, so I always have my own car available if I want it. However, to me, half the fun of Disney is the *immersive* experience of it all. I love being able to park my car and then not look at it or think about it again until it's time to go home. I can have a few drinks and not worry about driving. I don't have to worry about directions or filling up with gas or any of it.

Driving reminds me of the "real world," and that's not what I want when I'm at Disney!

And anyway, I've had a few annoyingly long waits for buses, but most of the time Disney transport is pretty efficient in its own way.

10. AngelEyes

Another GREAT point about your friends from across the pond. I have a friend that is coming over next summer and he is nervous about renting a car for the same reason.

Great discussion so far everyone! Keep it up! :thumbsup2

11. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Many guests, unintentionally, exaggerate wait times. Last trip I only had to wait more than 5 minutes once. I boarded the bus and was on my way in about the length of time it would have taken me to get to my car.

Prior to DME I would rent a car, not that much more than ground transfers. Now I don't see the need to spend the money. I can always supplement Disney transportation with an occasional taxi.

12. Horace Horsecollar

Horace Horsecollar <font color=blue>DVC members represent a unique ca

Transportation from Orlando International to Disney-operated resorts is free (with advance reservations), using Disney's Magical Express.

Bus, monorail, and boat service within WDW is free.

(Okay, nothing at Disney is really free — we pay for it indirectly. But you aren't charged a dime more if you use Magical Express and WDW Transportation than if you don't.)

There can be time involved waiting for a bus, monorail, or boat — but there's also time involved getting to your car at your resort and getting from some remote corner of a theme park parking lot to that park's entrance (especially at the Magic Kingdom).

Finally, if someone likes to have wine or other adult drinks with dinner, it's good to let somebody else (Disney) do the driving.

13. Wish I lived in Fl

Wish I lived in Fl DIS Veteran

Because of the crazy driving in the WDW area. Last trip DH rented a car and did the driving. On one trip back to Cypress Palms we counted 10 cars coming to a sudden stop to make a turn. Two cars actually drove in reverse on major roads to their missed turnoffs. By the 10th car we were laughing hysterically at all the lost tourists but they could have caused major accidents.

14. AngelEyes

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the Magical Express. It seems to me, so far, that cost and getting away from driving altogether for a few days are the main reasons. I do hate driving to the MK, no doubt. Well, the drive isn't bad, getting from your car to the entrance can be a pain. Good point about the drinking too. We've always had our kids with us, but I dream about the day I can drink my way around the World Showcase. ;)

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Where there's a Will there's a way

I've always been a die-hard renter, but I do understand the reasons why people choose not to rent.

1) Cost - Disney transportation is free for on-site Guests, and with the advent of DME your airport transfers, which previously cost you $80-$100 with a towncar company or taxi, are also free.
    Will's Take: Doesn't bother me to spent $100-$150 on a rental car in exchange for the convenience, time savings, and maximum flexibility that a rental car gives me. YMMV.

2) Directionaly challenged - some folks get lost easily in an unfamiliar city, and that can be a terribly frightening experience for some.
    Will's Take: I get lost at the drop of a hat even in Baltimore, so I'm used to it - plus I have discovered some great stuff entirely by accident when taking wrong turns!

3) Hassle - to some folks, especially those who drive for a living or have long commutes, self-driving is a chore that they can easily live without. These folks love the pampered feeling that they get from hopping a bus, boat, or monorail instead of driving themselves.
    Will's Take: That's just crazy talk! To me, driving is like breathing - if I can't do it for myself, I turn blue and pass out. I MUST have control of my own destiny! Not to mention my own destination...

4) Booze - part of many folks' vacation experience is to have dinner in one of the many fabulous WDW restaurants, sometimes with an alcholholic beverage or two (Disney has some very tasty choices in adult beverages, I tell ya WHUT!) And many of us enjoy an evening at Pleasure Island as part of our WDW experience, too - and what's PI without a Kungaloosh?! So the responsible among us leave the driving to those stone-cold-sober DIsney bus drivers instead of risking their lives and everyone elses lives by getting behind the wheel after a few of those pineapple thingies they serve at the Tambu Lounge.
    Will's Take: DAMN RIGHT!! I rent on every trip, but any time I plan on having even ONE SINGLE alchoholic beverage, even if it's with a huge dinner at 'Ohana, I leave the car in my resort's parking lot and take the bus. Better safe than dead, I always say.

16. luvdisney77

luvdisney77 Mouseketeer

ICAM! If I have to take my own car everywhere (through traffic and parking) than why am I staying at a Disney resort in the first place? For us, it is not having the hassle of extra gas expenses, and not having to hunt down a parking spot AND our car at the end of the night. I agree, we never wait more than 5 -10 minutes. But we drive down to Orlando (14 hours from here) so we actually always have our car, we just don't use it very often.

17. AngelEyes

Wow! The traffic in and around Orlando can get pretty crazy, there is no doubt about that. See, here is where the control freak takes over for me again. I would rather be driving in the bad traffic than someone else driving me in the bad traffic. I trust my driving more than I do someone else's. Still haven't been able to talk any of the pilot's into letting me fly the plane though. :)

18. AngelEyes

Were we seperated at birth? :lmao:

19. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

I've never rented a car at WDW, and I never want to. When I go to WDW, I have absolutely no interest in leaving Disney property. No offense to Central Floridians, but I just don't need to go out among you in your native habitat. I'm sure we're very much alike, except that I own more sweaters, and you have a better knowledge of really big bugs.

I enjoy being in what I call the "Disney cocoon." I LOVE the fact that my car is at my home airport, and that my car key is in my room safe for an entire week. I've gotta drive every day of my life, so I truly relish a week when I don't have to drive.

That's just me. I love it that after a long hot day at the parks I can get onto an air conditioned bus that hasn't been baking in the sun all day, and get off my feet and turn off my brain for a few minutes.

The only time I don't like the buses is after Wishes or some other event like that when the equivalent of the population of Kansas City leaves the park all at the same time and tries to squeeze into 15 buses. However, I'd STILL rather do that than rent a car.

The money-saving aspect is nice, too. But for me the main thing is voluntarily GIVING UP control and, literally and figuratively, letting someone else drive for a few days. I have to be so tightly in-control during the rest of my life, but at WDW I can let go and r-e-l-a-x.

20. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Aaaah ... now the "evil" side of my therapist head has taken control of my hands at the keyboard ....

The control you feel when you're driving is an illusion. The REAL people in control are all the other drivers who are whizzing past you in the opposite direction at 45 MPH, with the only thing separating life and death being a 2-dimensional yellow line, about 1 or 2 feet of space, and the hope that none of those other people just broke up with a spouse, didn't forget to take their antidepresssants for the past few weeks, didn't just get distracted by the end of their cigarette falling into their lap, and so on ....

21. mwerner2

mwerner2 Mouseketeer

I've rented cars and I 've ridden the buses, and the only reason I would ever rent another car is because I have a timeshare that I sometimes use in Orlando.

I would far rather ride the buses. If you count the time spent finding a parking spot, walking to the tram and riding the tram to the entrance, I don't think that "time" is really the issue. (Especially if you've ever spent 1/2 hour *LOOKING* for your car in those vast parking lots because you were sure you parked in "Goofy".) It is an especially long way from the parking lot at Magic Kingdom.

I like climbing into the nice air conditioned bus and collapsing while someone else does the driving. Even if I have to wait a few minutes for the bus it is relatively stress-free to relax and people-watch during the wait.

Driving a car around WDW, while not especially hard, is *NOT* relaxing, and the only real fight I've ever gotton into while boarding Disney transportation happened on a tram.

It probably really boils down to control. Those who have to have control will drive themselves.