Why can't Yellowstone train their bears?

I will add that coastal communities really need to learn how to train their sharks!

I will add that coastal communities really need to learn how to train their sharks!

Hey leave our sharks out of this!! We had 23 sightings yesterday in Chatham - what more do you want? 24, 25 26 impossible! Seems we have trained them very well thank you.

Will never forget visiting Great Smoky Mountain NP as a kid. We were driving through the park, stopping here and there at pullovers and overlooks to see the sights and take some pics. We drove up on a section where people were parked on the side of the roadway, well out of the designated spots at the pullover. As we finally pulled through you could see crowds of people basically within arms reach of a black bear. One man in particular had his small child on his shoulders, camera in hand, with his back to the drop off and the bear between them and any egress besides plunging over the cliff.

This reminds me of my childhood trip to Yellowstone. We stayed in our camping trailer and spent 5 days at Yellowstone (We toured several National Parks as part of a 2 week road trip.) Every morning we'd get up and my sister and I would say "I hope we see a [buffalo, a moose, a bear] today!" We not only saw whatever we'd said we wanted to see, most of the time we saw a lot of them. It was like they were trained to show up where we were going to be. (Dad taking us to wherever they were likely to be sighted probably helped, too.)

The very last day as we were leaving the park very early in the morning, we said "This was a great visit. The only thing we didn't see was a grizzly bear." (We'd seen lots of other bears, but no grizzlies.) As we were driving out of the park, there was an adult grizzly bear and a cub playing in a meadow... kind of like one last "Ask and you shall receive." That was over 30 years ago, and I'll never forget it.

This reminds me of my childhood trip to Yellowstone. We stayed in our camping trailer and spent 5 days at Yellowstone (We toured several National Parks as part of a 2 week road trip.) Every morning we'd get up and my sister and I would say "I hope we see a [buffalo, a moose, a bear] today!" We not only saw whatever we'd said we wanted to see, most of the time we saw a lot of them. It was like they were trained to show up where we were going to be. (Dad taking us to wherever they were likely to be sighted probably helped, too.)

The very last day as we were leaving the park very early in the morning, we said "This was a great visit. The only thing we didn't see was a grizzly bear." (We'd seen lots of other bears, but no grizzlies.) As we were driving out of the park, there was an adult grizzly bear and a cub playing in a meadow... kind of like one last "Ask and you shall receive." That was over 30 years ago, and I'll never forget it.

I had the same type of thing happen as I was driving up into the mountains on I-70 in Colorado. They had a sign on side of the road saying Watch for Wildlife with an outline of a mountain sheep. I, being the all knowing teenager in the car, of course scoffed at this sign and said "That's stupid, what, do the sheep see the sign and come down to the side of the highway to pose for tourists?!" Now bear in mind that this part of the highway was basically cliffs on one side with a small shoulder, we round a corner, and what's standing there in this 3 to 4 foot shoulder? Yep, whole herd of mountain sheep. My mom laughed so hard at me.

Will never forget visiting Great Smoky Mountain NP as a kid. We were driving through the park, stopping here and there at pullovers and overlooks to see the sights and take some pics. We drove up on a section where people were parked on the side of the roadway, well out of the designated spots at the pullover. As we finally pulled through you could see crowds of people basically within arms reach of a black bear. One man in particular had his small child on his shoulders, camera in hand, with his back to the drop off and the bear between them and any egress besides plunging over the cliff.

Just wait until that bear wants one of their sandwiches. HAHA.

All of this particularly the deer crossing bit makes me worry about humans. It's hard to believe that some of us are so ignorant.

You always need to give a bear an exit route. The American black bear is generally non-confrontational (some say it's genetically wired to survive being around brown bears) but they have been known to slash people when cornered. The occasional black bear can be predatory, but that's rare. They certainly have the size and strength to kill a human, but it's exceedingly rare that they will.

That being said, I have seen a black bear at Yellowstone near the Roosevelt/Tower area. When we drove by the "bear jam" we asked the law enforcement ranger handling the situation what was up, and he said "Black bear. You can view it if you can find a legal parking spot."

So we found an actual marked diagonal parking spot about 500 feet away near a viewpoint and walked. It was about 200 feet away from the bear, but we could see it clearly with binoculars and I got a good zoom photo of it with my camera. However, while we were there, that same ranger was yelling out to anyone trying to park "All four wheels off the road surface! Otherwise you're going to get a ticket." That meant that parking on the side of the road had to be on dirt and not on the pavement, which barely had any shoulder area. Even then, a lot of people wouldn't get completely off the road to park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter