Why buy directly through Disney?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by K1226M, Mar 1, 2013.

1. dbs1228

dbs1228 DIS Veteran

The price does NOT go up since she is not getting 2012 points!!! She will be PAYING 73.00PP w/ closing cost and getting 100 points. Direct she pays 114.00 with closing costs and gets 200 in which we both agree she can rent 100 to recoop 11PP bringing the total PAID direct down to 103.00PP and total paid resale 73.00PP a difference of 30.00PP anyway you do the numbers!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. dwight16

dwight16 Mouseketeer

I was going off the old price of 100 before the March 20th and I added the 2012 points to the resale. There is defiantly a savings but I was wondering if its worth he risk of Disney buying it back the your S O L

4. ELMC

ELMC DIS Veteran

The current price at SSR is $110 per point.

5. dbs1228

dbs1228 DIS Veteran

I agree for some the piece of mind maybe worth it to buy direct - to me I know even if DVC takes back a ton of contracts there will always be resale out there.

I have a resale offer on the table and there is a good chance DVC may take it - will I be bummed - yea because it was 55.00 PP but I also know there will be more contracts if this does not pass. I also know if it does pass I am saving 13320.00 over current pricing!:thumbsup2

6. abner1776

abner1776 DIS Veteran

With all of this discussion going on about add-ons and new point increases it got me thinking and I have these questions.

I bought direct years ago at VWL when the price diff was smaller and my UY is Oct. If I were to either add on with more VWL points or purchase another contract at a different resort, will DVC require me to only purchase a contract with an Oct UY ? I am assuming that if I were to purchase via resale I can purchase any UY I want...yes or no ??

With the large price variance between direct and resale and with some resorts being in short point supply at DVC, why is DVC not exercising ROFR more often for those resorts ? I am seeing DVC passing on contracts in the 60+ price range and yet they are "pricing" those resorts at 100+ ...seems to me ROFR would be a slam dunk for DVC.

7. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

You can buy any UY you want but it will be a separate membership and a different account if it doesn't match your original.

Disney knows at what price they are willing to sell resale to make their required profit. Raising their price may now let them hit that mark and ROFR take backs will probably increase.

:earsboy: Bill

8. ironpig70

ironpig70 DIS Veteran

I keep seeing ROFR what exactly is this?

I am looking into DVC and on the fence about "New" versus "resale"

Lots of intereting points in this thread about resale. Didnt realize cruises where such a bad deal. Guess when/if we do a cruise we will sell our point and go OOP.

9. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Disney has all of the cards stacked in their favor. ROFR=Right Of First Refusal. That means that Disney has the right to step in and take the sales deal out from under the buyer.

Disney advertises all of the wonderful things that owners can buy with their points as a sales enticement. The reality is, most of those uses have limited availability, restricted availability, or cost more than if you rented out your points and paid cash.

:earsboy: Bill