Who's in for GREECE and TURKEY, June 15 2003????

Where are you finding a nonstop out of SFO? You got me excited there...but I don't see one....
I'm sorry I didn't mean to get you excited. The only nonstop I can find is to Paris or London. I never found non-stop to Barcelona or Rome. I wonder if we could fly to Atlanta and then, take the non-stop. I can fly from Sacramento to DC and take non-stop from there. With these prices and college expenses looming in 3 years we might even have to cancel our entire trip. Because the flight is costing more than the actual 7 night cruise I book with NCL-Epic. I'm looking at Alaska right now. We can drive to Seattle or Vancouver. So, we would save a ton in airfare and I have family in Seattle so no hotel costs.

Where are you finding a nonstop out of SFO? You got me excited there...but I don't see one....

I saw your reference to SFO and had to share that our license plates in VA are SFO1 and SFO2 closest thing we can get to home!:rotfl2:

I saw your reference to SFO and had to share that our license plates in VA are SFO1 and SFO2 closest thing we can get to home!:rotfl2:
I miss home too. You know I think you are from my home town too. So, I'm kinda bummed we are not on this cruise anymore because I would have loved to meet you.

I miss home too. You know I think you are from my home town too. So, I'm kinda bummed we are not on this cruise anymore because I would have loved to meet you.

I am sorry also. I am from San Carlos is that where you are from?

DL1957 said:

That's awesome!!! I soooooo miss the bay area. I don't get home enough.

Yes, I grew up on Tamarack 2 house down from St. Charles school. I think, we talked earlier in this cruise meet thread probably when we first booked.

I forgot about that probably the heat here :rotfl2:
I went to St Charles and my DH went to Brittan Acres! Too bad we won't get to meet.

Our GTY just came through wildly early, we purchased 11C GTY and received... you guessed it, 11C. To get it this early it must be a very full cruise? :eek:

Our GTY just came through wildly early, we purchased 11C GTY and received... you guessed it, 11C. To get it this early it must be a very full cruise? :eek:

I think it is right now, but I've heard a lot of people say they are cancelling. There's a lot of time between then and now...I would think it would open up.

It's a long way to when we have to pay for the whole shebang ... Getting your GTY now seems like jumping the gun.

We booked an 11c-gty opening week and received our stateroom number within a few weeks. Still keeping our fingers crossed (or wishing for some pixie dust!)

Ok - we have a potential deal breaker....I've been tracking the airfare prices through United (we get free luggage) and I've been particularly tracking the one direct flight they have both ways. Well right now you can price the flight through coming home a week before we are. Are you ready for this?//

The flight that has been pricing out at about 924 round trip per person, has now gone up to 2,045....more than double????? Really??? I expected it to go up, but not that much....our alternative would be to not go direct which brings it down to $1300 but requires us to leave a day earlier...I don't know if we can do that??? Over $8K for airfare....what are they thinking???

Ok - we have a potential deal breaker....I've been tracking the airfare prices through United (we get free luggage) and I've been particularly tracking the one direct flight they have both ways. Well right now you can price the flight through coming home a week before we are. Are you ready for this?//

The flight that has been pricing out at about 924 round trip per person, has now gone up to 2,045....more than double????? Really??? I expected it to go up, but not that much....our alternative would be to not go direct which brings it down to $1300 but requires us to leave a day earlier...I don't know if we can do that??? Over $8K for airfare....what are they thinking???

They're thinking they can get that from somebody who likes to plan early. It should go down.... it still is about a year away. Don't worry yet.

This is why it is important to fare watch so you will know when the fare is a good deal. We noticed with our nonstop from ATL flying Wednesday and returning Wednesday that the fare has gone up considerably from an April departure to May departure and more in June. Right now the flight is $1456... And that price varies depending on the day of the week we check for the same flights and dates. Nearly always more on a weekend when we look.

Edit: I hadn't checked today... The same flight that was $1456 yesterday is $1526 today. DCL wants $1818 which will include transportation from airport to port and back.

Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada. My wife is Canadian so we will drive up the evening before and my in-laws will drive us to and from the airport. Delta is still a good two weeks out from releasing info for our return flight on the 29th (we are staying a couple extra days in Barcelona after the cruise), and the airfare is currently $1500+ for a return on the 15th and we would have to connect in JFK, ATL, Paris or Amsterdam.

I told my wife all along that if I see anything under $1000 we should grab it, so I am ok with the price and it's non-stop. We will arrive Fri morning at 7:30am so I am hoping that if for some reason there are delays leaving Toronto, we will still have enough of a buffer for the Saturday cruise departure. I would have liked to have arrived Thursday morning instead but my wife is only allowed 10 work days off in the summer and they made an exception for her and she is getting 12 days off. No way she was going to get 13 days.

They are refundable tickets with a $300 pp penalty but I doubt there will be anything that low to warrant getting rid of a non stop itinerary. I know the early release rates usually are higher and then come down later but with 6 of us, I just didn't want to take a chance. Hitting that final payment button was exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Makes the trip that much more real! Never thought I would have to spend over $6000 for airfare. This trip will be so expensive for us and our future vacations for a while will be pretty low key but we are so excited about it!

Of course I will still be checking out airfare out of Detroit just to see how that all pans out. Can't help myself.

detroitdad said:
Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada. My wife is Canadian so we will drive up the evening before and my in-laws will drive us to and from the airport. Delta is still a good two weeks out from releasing info for our return flight on the 29th (we are staying a couple extra days in Barcelona after the cruise), and the airfare is currently $1500+ for a return on the 15th and we would have to connect in JFK, ATL, Paris or Amsterdam.

I told my wife all along that if I see anything under $1000 we should grab it, so I am ok with the price and it's non-stop. We will arrive Fri morning at 7:30am so I am hoping that if for some reason there are delays leaving Toronto, we will still have enough of a buffer for the Saturday cruise departure. I would have liked to have arrived Thursday morning instead but my wife is only allowed 10 work days off in the summer and they made an exception for her and she is getting 12 days off. No way she was going to get 13 days.

They are refundable tickets with a $300 pp penalty but I doubt there will be anything that low to warrant getting rid of a non stop itinerary. I know the early release rates usually are higher and then come down later but with 6 of us, I just didn't want to take a chance. Hitting that final payment button was exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Makes the trip that much more real! Never thought I would have to spend over $6000 for airfare. This trip will be so expensive for us and our future vacations for a while will be pretty low key but we are so excited about it!

Of course I will still be checking out airfare out of Detroit just to see how that all pans out. Can't help myself.

I think that's a great deal... A nonstop for just over $1,000. I prefer to not connect. We are doing B2B so we wont be able to get a proper fare watch set up until early August as we want a return flight on July 9th.

Well I just didn't like how the airfare was looking with Delta out of Detroit, so we opted to fly out of Toronto non-stop for $1010 pp on Air Canada.

We are also looking at the non-stop out of Toronto. 3 hour drive vs. 1 hour to Detroit for us, and we don't have anyone to park the car with, but the idea of non-stop is so appealing for the kid's first transatlantic flight.

One thing I have been surprised with is the incredibly high cost of taxes and fees to fly to Europe no matter where we depart from. Our plan had been to use points for 2 or 3 of the tickets. Right now we can convert our points to British Airways Avios for a 50% bonus - that would give us enough for all 4 tickets Toronto - London and London - Barcelona. But the taxes and fees are almost $3000!!!! I priced the direct Air Canada flight at $3899 total for our dates!

So then I looked at flying Detroit to Honolulu - total taxes and fees = $40 per person. A brief conversation with DH and I think I landed us a Hawaiian vacation in a couple of years! :rotfl2: So the points are off the table and being saved for later when they will truly save us some money!!

So now we are looking at spending a few days at the beach in Spain - not sure whether it will be Costa del Sol (which I have fond memories of visiting) or closer to Barcelona (like Tossa de Mar) before a day or two in the city itself. Or maybe we will spend several days in the city at one of the apartment hotels, and travel out to some of Barcelona's own beaches on the metro. So many decisions!

re: the high taxes

British Airways, Iberia, and I'm sure some others pass one of the fuel taxes on transatlantic flights directly onto the consumer specifically on award tickets. For me to use my miles to fly on either of those airlines is ~$300-400 per person, each way, along with the massive amount of frequent flier miles.

On the contrary, if I fly on American, I pay $5 per person, each way with the same amount of frequent flier miles. No brainer there... But harder to find availability. Right now we have one ticket DCA-JFK-BCN and one DCA-MIA-BCN, and unknown whether we'll be able to get them together.

Just wanted ya'll to know that we jumped ship and won't be going on this cruise any more. We will be going on the June 1 cruise to Alaska and then flying to Hawaii for a week. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter