Who's in for GREECE and TURKEY, June 15 2003????

Has anyone tried to check actual airfare? I tried Delta and Expedia today but neither would allow me to select dates in June 2013 hopefully it opens up on Sunday the 1st.
MJ like you we booked DVC points and cash. Ran out of points because of 2 cruises last year. We did not want to miss the chance for Turkey and Greece. We are looking to leave here Tuesday night and hopefully can get a flight out the day we dock because we did not want to stay an extra day at the end. If that happens we my go in on Wednesday night. Sue

Has anyone tried to check actual airfare? I tried Delta and Expedia today but neither would allow me to select dates in June 2013 hopefully it opens up on Sunday the 1st.
MJ like you we booked DVC points and cash. Ran out of points because of 2 cruises last year. We did not want to miss the chance for Turkey and Greece. We are looking to leave here Tuesday night and hopefully can get a flight out the day we dock because we did not want to stay an extra day at the end. If that happens we my go in on Wednesday night. Sue

You can't book airfare out yet - it is usually 330 days in advance that you can book, but unless you're booking going and coming separately, you'll have to wait until your return flight date is available to book.

I've been pricing our airfare each day using the same days of the week that we'll be traveling to see how the pricing holds as we are going to need to decide whether we stay with DCL air or do air on our own. We know which flights we want (non-stop red-eye, ATL to BCN on Delta). Because we're also doing the following cruise, we won't be able to book air (or even have a "for real" price on it until our return flight date opens for a return in July - so it will be August before we're able to see what the price will actually be to book on our own vs DCL's price).

I came across a new-to-me site that helps with airfare: matrix.itasoftware.com - thought I'd pass it along - it's helpful for identifying lowest fares on the days you want to fly and lets you also see surrounding days so you can decide if flying one day is better than another. For example, for us, if we fly out on Tuesday or Wednesday and return on a Wednesday the cost is the same, but if we waited until Thursday to leave, the price goes up - or if we came home on Thursday, the price is up.

You can't book airfare out yet - it is usually 330 days in advance that you can book, but unless you're booking going and coming separately, you'll have to wait until your return flight date is available to book.

I've been pricing our airfare each day using the same days of the week that we'll be traveling to see how the pricing holds as we are going to need to decide whether we stay with DCL air or do air on our own. We know which flights we want (non-stop red-eye, ATL to BCN on Delta). Because we're also doing the following cruise, we won't be able to book air (or even have a "for real" price on it until our return flight date opens for a return in July - so it will be August before we're able to see what the price will actually be to book on our own vs DCL's price).

I came across a new-to-me site that helps with airfare: matrix.itasoftware.com - thought I'd pass it along - it's helpful for identifying lowest fares on the days you want to fly and lets you also see surrounding days so you can decide if flying one day is better than another. For example, for us, if we fly out on Tuesday or Wednesday and return on a Wednesday the cost is the same, but if we waited until Thursday to leave, the price goes up - or if we came home on Thursday, the price is up.

Thanks for the info so I have to wait until our return is 330 days away. How much is DCL charging from FL?

Thanks for the info so I have to wait until our return is 330 days away. How much is DCL charging from FL?

Depends on which airport you depart from. We're actually flying from ATL as that's where our hometown is "zoned for" in terms of "home airports" for major airports - and DCL wants $1800/ticket. It's a little less from ORL or JAX. The JAX flights would go to ATL and then get on the very same plane that is $1800 fare from ATL. Crazy, right? We're using $1400 as a price point that if we can get airfare for $1400 or less per person, the savings is worth the hassle and expense of booking on our own and having to get the separate trip insurance policy and picking up costs for transfers that are included in the DCL price.

Just wanted to wish the American's out there a Happy fourth of July! To CanadaKath and any other fellow Canadians out there ... Happy Canada Day!

MJ

To CanadaKath and any other fellow Canadians out there ... Happy Canada Day!

MJ

Thanks MJ - and to you too! What a perfect weekend of weather for it! Spent all day yesterday at the beach and pool and will be back again today.:beach:

I had an interesting conversation at dinner with the kids the other day. Talking about how Canada would be 145 years old, but some buildings in the countries we are going to see next year are thousands of years old. It amazes me what an 8 and 6 year old can grasp. I moved to Europe when I was 11, so I wasn't too sure how the youngest would do with the history part, but he is right into it! I'm so excited for this trip!!!

So in my daily check of airfare and sliding the return date out as far as they will let me look at this point, I see that airfare is going up - for example, depart on a Wednesday and return on a Wednesday two weeks later, if the return date is May 22, the price is $1121, but if I slide it to a return date of May 29, then the fare is $1485. Round trip red-eye from ATL. Which is about what the fare was for this summer for the actual dates we would've flown if our trip was 2012 instead of 2013. I'll definitely want to watch for an airfare sale, but if it's going to stay at almost $1500, then we'll probably just stick with DCL for air.

However, we have friends who just came back from a cruise from Barcelona and they have highly recommended the apartment stay for pre-cruise so to make up the difference in airfare doing it ourselves vs. leaving it with DCL (and thus some of the worry), we may do an apartment pre-cruise. If I've done the math correctly, DCL AIR + Apt on our own = Air on our own + DCL hotel. So many decisions!

I was looking around to see what movies Disney is releasing next year. Monsters University is scheduled to be released on June 21 ... right in the middle of our cruise. What are the chances we'll be able to watch it in the Buena Vista theatre? That would be awesome if we could....

I was looking around to see what movies Disney is releasing next year. Monsters University is scheduled to be released on June 21 ... right in the middle of our cruise. What are the chances we'll be able to watch it in the Buena Vista theatre? That would be awesome if we could....

Chances are it they release it while we are on the ship we are about 99% certain to see it. In our past crusies when there has been Disney or a Pixard release that have shown it on the ship at the same time. I really liked Monsters and cant wait for the next one.

We've had the same experience - getting to see a new release on the day it releases - and they often schedule it to play in the Walt Disney Theater for a showing or two before moving it to the Buena Vista. And depending on how they do scheduling, they sometimes will do a midnight showing.

Bye for a few days!

Will be incognito for the next 12 days..... Doing B2B Fantasy - Caribbean then the NYC Canadian Cruise with Mickey YAY! :yay::yay::yay:

Ha! then it's focus on the MED time!!!!! ( I exist between Disney Cruises LOL:rolleyes1)

j
Just popped in to see what I had missed. Joius you did the opposite of what we just did. We were on the Magic (6/10) for the 1st NYC/Canada cruise and then flew down to catch the Fantasy (6/16) for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean! Did you feel any effects of the Tropical Storm Debbie @ sea? We had smooth sailing on the NYC/Canada but a little rough on the Eastern Caribbean. Opposite of what we had expected! :sick:
OK, off to catch up on reading! Who is ready to go now??:hippie:
Later,
Sue

Just popped in to see what I had missed. Joius you did the opposite of what we just did. We were on the Magic (6/10) for the 1st NYC/Canada cruise and then flew down to catch the Fantasy (6/16) for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean! Did you feel any effects of the Tropical Storm Debbie @ sea? We had smooth sailing on the NYC/Canada but a little rough on the Eastern Caribbean. Opposite of what we had expected! :sick:
OK, off to catch up on reading! Who is ready to go now??:hippie:
Later,
Sue

Sue
That is hilarious! We must of passed each other in Airports! :rotfl: We literally did switch places! We got nothing from Debbie on either one, Phew!
I loved them both for different reasons, good times on both!
I am always ready to cruise!:yay: LOL

We were on the Fantasy when Brave opened last month. They had Steve Pilcher, the production designer do a special intro for the midnight showing (didn't make it but I heard it was great but CROWDED!) and then we had 3 more showings the next day. I love this movie as did DS (12) and DH. I will have to let DS know about a potential showing as they had previews for Monsters University before Brave and the date didn't sink in that we would be on board, again! :banana::cool1: From talking to others about the PremEARs that have been on the cruises before there is always something special.

We were on the Fantasy when Brave opened last month. They had Steve Pilcher, the production designer do a special intro for the midnight showing (didn't make it but I heard it was great but CROWDED!) and then we had 3 more showings the next day. I love this movie as did DS (12) and DH. I will have to let DS know about a potential showing as they had previews for Monsters University before Brave and the date didn't sink in that we would be on board, again! :banana::cool1: From talking to others about the PremEARs that have been on the cruises before there is always something special.

We got to see Brave on the Canada ruise too! They showed it the night before disembarking at 12:01 AM so it was "released" on the right day ... They showed it on the Magic in both theaters, one 3Dand one regular. The line was huge, and I was in line about 35 minutes early LOL
I didnt care I if didnt get any sleep the night before getting off the ship ...worth it to see Brave!

Funny thing though...DS went to the other theater (he said didnt know there was two showings) and after looking for me, just settled and watched the movie LOL... and I did the same at the other theatre. OR he ditched me to sit with the Vibe crew LOL... either way I love premEARS!:goodvibes
Saw the Avengers onboard too... good stuff!

I absolutely love that DCL has a movie theater - we always see several while onboard. In fact, as it gets closer to sailing day, we'll check with DCL to see what movies are scheduled for our cruises and if there's something newly released, we'll wait to see it onboard rather than spending the cash on land :)

So in my daily check of airfare and sliding the return date out as far as they will let me look at this point, I see that airfare is going up - for example, depart on a Wednesday and return on a Wednesday two weeks later, if the return date is May 22, the price is $1121, but if I slide it to a return date of May 29, then the fare is $1485. Round trip red-eye from ATL. Which is about what the fare was for this summer for the actual dates we would've flown if our trip was 2012 instead of 2013. I'll definitely want to watch for an airfare sale, but if it's going to stay at almost $1500, then we'll probably just stick with DCL for air.

However, we have friends who just came back from a cruise from Barcelona and they have highly recommended the apartment stay for pre-cruise so to make up the difference in airfare doing it ourselves vs. leaving it with DCL (and thus some of the worry), we may do an apartment pre-cruise. If I've done the math correctly, DCL AIR + Apt on our own = Air on our own + DCL hotel. So many decisions!
Yikes.. I'm not on this cruise any more but we are still going to Europe and this post caught my eye. That is pricey. We paid in 2010 around $900 each to fly to London and we live on the West Coast. It always seems like the East Coast is cheaper than the West Coast by a couple hundred dollars. I can't imagine flying for $1700 each. Do you think your ticket is more because you are flying non-stop. Off to check kayak to see....

Yikes.. I'm not on this cruise any more but we are still going to Europe and this post caught my eye. That is pricey. We paid in 2010 around $900 each to fly to London and we live on the West Coast. It always seems like the East Coast is cheaper than the West Coast by a couple hundred dollars. I can't imagine flying for $1700 each. Do you think your ticket is more because you are flying non-stop. Off to check kayak to see....

It may be a little more because of non-stop, but we won't fly to Europe any other way if possible - we've done the non-stop flight to both Barcelona and London - both times we had delays leaving out of Atlanta which has been fine because then we didn't have to worry about missing a connection. Today the same flight is $1493, but those with connections are actually more - at $1521. Again, this is just on Delta, so other airlines might have better fares - we just know that DCL has put us on the non-stop red-eye from ATL in the past and expect that to be the same this time - in fact, we're delaying our return by a day because of the return flight time from BCN to ATL so they won't put us on a connector with the BCN to ATL flight leaving before noon.

Oh, a quick Kayak check still has airfare at over $1400 with stops (one or two). Once our dates are available, I'll continue to check daily and hope to catch a fare sale. We're going on vacation this summer to Yellowstone and got a steal of airfare from ATL to Salt Lake City that I just happened on by fare checking. We are hopoing to have similar luck with going to BCN.

:thumbsup2
I absolutely love that DCL has a movie theater - we always see several while onboard. In fact, as it gets closer to sailing day, we'll check with DCL to see what movies are scheduled for our cruises and if there's something newly released, we'll wait to see it onboard rather than spending the cash on land :)

I agree Cindy, I waited to see the Avengers on board ...DS however could not wait but he was kind enough to see it again with me :thumbsup2

It's the flights that are scaring me a bit, price wise....but not willing to give up the ressie yet..... ya never know ! :wizard: maybe I will bet some pixie dust!

It may be a little more because of non-stop, but we won't fly to Europe any other way if possible - we've done the non-stop flight to both Barcelona and London - both times we had delays leaving out of Atlanta which has been fine because then we didn't have to worry about missing a connection. Today the same flight is $1493, but those with connections are actually more - at $1521. Again, this is just on Delta, so other airlines might have better fares - we just know that DCL has put us on the non-stop red-eye from ATL in the past and expect that to be the same this time - in fact, we're delaying our return by a day because of the return flight time from BCN to ATL so they won't put us on a connector with the BCN to ATL flight leaving before noon.

Oh, a quick Kayak check still has airfare at over $1400 with stops (one or two). Once our dates are available, I'll continue to check daily and hope to catch a fare sale. We're going on vacation this summer to Yellowstone and got a steal of airfare from ATL to Salt Lake City that I just happened on by fare checking. We are hopoing to have similar luck with going to BCN.

Phew... our rates aren't as high which I find weird. But our flights are not non-stop. The only way I can fly non-stop if I fly out of SFO but that is 2 hour drive my house and parking fees are expensive. Although, when we did the Med and Baltics we did fly out of SFO. On the Med we flew SFO to Paris and then, to Barcelona. We barely made our connection in Paris. I think, part of the reason was our layover was very short. We tried for a longer layover but the rep on the phone had a hard time understanding us. Plus, in Paris that summer the luggage handlers were on strike so, we did not get one piece of luggage. It had all of our evening attire in it. For London we flew out of SFO direct to Heathrow. No problems on that flight.

Anyways, I can get to Rome via Washington DC for $1200 per person. The only issue I see is that the layover is 1 hour and 45 minutes. I'm not sure if that is enough time for a layover. I prefer the 2 or 3 hour range for international flights. I like being able to sit down to eat, go to the bathroom etc...

Good luck with your flight arrangements.

Phew... our rates aren't as high which I find weird. But our flights are not non-stop. The only way I can fly non-stop if I fly out of SFO but that is 2 hour drive my house and parking fees are expensive.

Where are you finding a nonstop out of SFO? You got me excited there...but I don't see one....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter