Who's done a Christmas cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Cameo, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Cameo

Cameo DIS Veteran

Thinking of doing one in 2013. Any good advice or information from those who have done this?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

Plan on paying an obscene amount for the fare. Will you be bringing prezzies? TSA doesn't want them gift-wrapped so if you fly, you'll need to bring gift bags, or gift wrap and hide the unwrapped prezzies in your luggage. And of course you can't pack any large gifts like a bicycle or a pony. ;)

We loved cruising at Christmas but we'd rather do the gift exchanges at home, then sail right after Christmas. Or you could cheat and unwrap presents before your Christmas cruise. Or count the cruise as your gift, or maybe include a surprise shore excursion as a gift.

The ships have fabulous decorations, and it actually snowed inside the atrium on Christmas Eve. Disney magic at its finest.

4. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

We are this year.

We got a very good price IMO.

We are not doing a present exchange, but that's not unusual for us. We try to travel over the holidays so we never do one.

I'll report back.

5. disneydreaming92701

disneydreaming92701 DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear more about. Including how disney makes it special.

6. 3dog2kidmom

3dog2kidmom DIS Veteran

We are booked on the Dream next Christmas (4-night), and I didn't think the fare was bad either. Can't wait to hear from others who have sailed during this time about any special things happening over Christmas.

7. TnRobin

TnRobin <font color=red>My body may be back in Nashville, Moderator

I haven't cruise the actual week of Christmas, but one of the weeks leading up to it. I am sure the actual week is even more special, but we had a blast. the Activities were great. We made gingerbread houses - one per family. Of course we couldn't take it off the ship, but we had a great time building it.

The ship is decked out and so are the characters.

I wish I could remember more details, but it has been a few years. I just remember it was an awesome cruise.

8. bmer1rick

bmer1rick DIS Veteran

We have done two previous Christmas Cruises and absolutely love them.. we are on the Fantasy Christmas Cruise this year. As a PP mentioned, they are priced at peak season rates and fill up very quickly. We normally book as soon as they open for booking and then get the OB discount to help. We love them and have made them a family tradition. Here is a quick synopsis I did from last year on the Dream..

For us, the cruise was well worth it. Every day they had something special for us to do. On the first day was the Christmas tree lighting and several opportunities for pictures. The Christmas Tree lighting ceremony is called King Triton's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony and they pick a child out of the crowd to be the guest of honor to light the tree. He/She get a costume to put on when they give the magic words.. Unlike other cruises we have been on, they offered several times with the characters to take pictures in their Christmas sweaters, etc.

They changed the itinerary a little for the cruise, because the second day was Nassau and Pirate night. Since we were in Nassau for the entire day and it being Pirate night, this was the day with the least scheduled Christmas events, but I would expect that. As usual this was one of the Princess gatherings and several of the princesses were in Christmas dresses.

The third day was Christmas eve and our day at Castaway Cay. As mentioned the focus was Castaway Cay. I was a little dissapointed that there weren't more photographers up by the Christmas tree and the sleigh. They instead were down with Captain Jack and by the the Mount Rushmore bouys. Maybe it was the time of day and they later repositioned themselves, but we did have to ask others to take our pictures. The dinner that night was very good and our head server warned us about our Christmas dinner and leaving a good appetite. When we returned to the room, Disney had a few special gifts for us to include a Don "Ducky" Williams print that is only available on this cruise. There was also a nice box of chocolates and our host made a nice snowman with a special little Santa hat with the DCL emblem.

Our final full day was at sea and chock full of special things to do. As mentioned they had Santa (and Santa Goofy) available for kids in the lobby. It was very well organized and went very quickly. They also had a very nice Christmas morning spread full of cookies, pastries, egg nog, hot chocolate and chocolates. They also had several Christmas services for those that wanted to attend. We decided to schedule this day for our Gingerbread house making session. If you do go on a Christmas Cruise, I highly encourage attending this.. it was very good. You have to make reservations for it when you first get on the ship at guest services, so don't forget.. they go quickly. They also showed War Horse on Christmas, which was also the first day it came out on theaters. The dinner was amazing, it was almost like eating at Palos. The signature appetizer was Alaskan King Crab legs and the main course was Lobster Tail (which the waiter offered me a second). For desert they had a white chocolate souffle, which my wife totally enjoyed.

We really enjoyed the cruise, but do recommend you make your reservations early if the cost is a major concern for you. We already made ours for the 2012 Cruise on the Fantasy and paid pretty much the same rate as a regular 7 day cruise during the time kids are in school.

9. lodge

lodge DIS Veteran

don't fly in day of cruise... to crazy for that time of year

10. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

I requested our DU TA to switch our fall 2013 dummy date to the Christmas 2014 week. This will be our first Christmas cruise and I can't wait. I'll have to just sit back and wait patiently for the remainder of the 2014 dates to be released. I'll be checking back here to see some of the responses to your question.

11. n8tivecaligirl

n8tivecaligirl Mouseketeer

We leave in two weeks for our first and can't wait! Snow, gingerbread houses, caroling, Christmas dinner and Santa Christmas morning!? How fun!!!!

12. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

We're sailing the 23rd. I just can't believe that someone else is going to put up the decorations, cook the meals, clean up the meals, entertain us, sing to us, feed us some more, and drive us to beautiful islands.

I'm working on gifts and outfits, reservations for the night before and parking, and just ticking the days off the calendar until the 23.

Nancy

13. SunLuvr321

SunLuvr321 Mouseketeer