Who's already planning for 2017 or 2018

So, December 1-9, 2018. BLT. There are 15 of us tentatively, friends and family, hoping to split two 2-bedrooms for maximum privacy per family. I'm going to let the DD's help research restaurants this time. I'm overjoyed to be going again, finally planning!

799 days!
Wow! I'm just now seeing this part ... not sure how I missed it earlier, but that's so amazing! I have half of that for this next trip, and the FP alone is giving me a headache lol My Mickey Hat's off to you! You will be a Disney Guru by the time you're through, if not already. That trip will be one for the books, filled with lots of great memories :)

I'm planning to do a family trip in Jan 2018. But today I told my friends about the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and they are trying to talk me into going this year!
We'll be there in Oct! It'll be our first time, and hopefully a new tradition. I can possibly find you a reduced dvc rental reservation, too. Let me know if interested :)

We'll be there in Oct! It'll be our first time, and hopefully a new tradition. I can possibly find you a reduced dvc rental reservation, too. Let me know if interested :)
Thank you! Right now I am hoping to book at a Magic Kingdom resort, but if that won't work, I may contact you.

our next major trip will be Feb or March 2018 and i can not wait!!! We have only been in Oct/Nov/Dec until this past feb/march and we loved it! Our last huge trip was 2012 when we had 11 people. This next trip we will be celebrating my daughter graduating. sigh. But what better way then DISNEY!!!!

Ok... This sucks!!!! We are planning our next trip for Feb of 18. I can't wait that long and there is no way to swing one sooner. Arrrgghhhhhh!!! Rant Over

I always have a dream about going this time and watching the fireworks from the top of BLT, as well as inside the park, of course! How did you guys do this? I wonder if it's best to go AFTER Christmas day or before Christmas. In my mind I envision opening up a Christmas present with a "We're going to Disney!" inside, or something, and then enjoying the day and leaving the next day, then returning the 2nd, since I wouldn't want to wake up for checkout on the 1st. I'm curious how others do it, though.
It was our Family Christmas present, and we were able to take advantage of free dining. We were there from December 21 to January 2; it was a long time, still pretty expensive but SO worth it! We drove from Michigan, escaped one ice storm, and arrived back home in time to experience a larger ice storm that kept the kids out of school until the following Thursday :cold: We said if we checked the weather we could have stayed an extra 4 days :faint: Our youngest was 11 at the time, so we just asked if they would like going to Disney for Christmas and New Years instead of receiving presents. Of course they said YES, and still say it was the best family trip we've ever had. Of course, the down side is we said at the time it was a once in a lifetime trip to go at that time, but we all want to go again. I did plan everything out, but we ended up adjusting while we were there. We did not go into the parks Christmas Day, and had a leisurely day checking out other resorts decorations, and just relaxing.

It was our Family Christmas present, and we were able to take advantage of free dining. We were there from December 21 to January 2; it was a long time, still pretty expensive but SO worth it! We drove from Michigan, escaped one ice storm, and arrived back home in time to experience a larger ice storm that kept the kids out of school until the following Thursday :cold: We said if we checked the weather we could have stayed an extra 4 days :faint: Our youngest was 11 at the time, so we just asked if they would like going to Disney for Christmas and New Years instead of receiving presents. Of course they said YES, and still say it was the best family trip we've ever had. Of course, the down side is we said at the time it was a once in a lifetime trip to go at that time, but we all want to go again. I did plan everything out, but we ended up adjusting while we were there. We did not go into the parks Christmas Day, and had a leisurely day checking out other resorts decorations, and just relaxing.

How did you spend New Year's Eve? Planning for a Dec 2017 trip, Dec 26-Jan 2. Thinking about being in Epcot for NYE

This sounds so nice, really! lol I'm still laughing about the "once in a lifetime, but we want to do it again" part :) Somehow, I can see me saying "this instead of presents", but I can't imagine my husband actually going through with that - he loves presents time. Maybe when the kids are older and can understand better, like yours. Thanks for sharing your story.

I have to know, though - was the park REALLY as crowded as everyone says?

I just can't even imagine!! I remember going in the summer when I was a teen and thinking it was way too packed. You literally couldn't make a chicken wing without your elbow touching someone in either direction - madness!

This sounds so nice, really! lol I'm still laughing about the "once in a lifetime, but we want to do it again" part :) Somehow, I can see me saying "this instead of presents", but I can't imagine my husband actually going through with that - he loves presents time. Maybe when the kids are older and can understand better, like yours. Thanks for sharing your story.

I have to know, though - was the park REALLY as crowded as everyone says?

I just can't even imagine!! I remember going in the summer when I was a teen and thinking it was way too packed. You literally couldn't make a chicken wing without your elbow touching someone in either direction - madness!
It was crowded, but I did not think it was obscenely crowded. I am used to going to college football games with crowds in excess of 100,000, so I might not be the best judge. Going early, and late helps. When we were on the buses, we did see the signs about the closures, and ogled at the traffic, glad we were not stuck in it.

How did you spend New Year's Eve? Planning for a Dec 2017 trip, Dec 26-Jan 2. Thinking about being in Epcot for NYE
We spent New Year's Eve in Epcot, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else:banana: We went to MK the 30th, and did the NYE dress rehearsal, which was a blast! My DH and youngest DS got tired and went back early, my DD stayed for a bit longer, but my other DS and I stayed till the bitter end, which was probably around 1:00 am. MK's dress rehearsal is about the same as NYE, but I would guess a touch less crowded. It was still packed, but you could move and dance without feeling claustrophobic, which I believe I have a touch of. They have a huge dance party right at the castle, and pretty much everyone was participating. On the actual NYE, we went early to Epcot (I fully believe I am on a huge adrenaline rush when at WDW, and don't need as much sleep as usual:thumbsup2) We did our FP's in the morning, had a leisurely lunch at Via Napoli, did the "Behind the seeds" tour at Living with the land, and went to the Biergarten in Germany for dinner, around the time Germany was actually celebrating NYE in Europe, which was very entertaining. By the time we were done, it was almost dark outside and things were almost all set up. They had multiple dance areas, an American top 40 in FW, a dance area with a dragon in China, and a techno area in Italy. There was latin music at the America Gardens stage, and there may have been more. Our kids stayed pretty much at the Top 40 dance area, and DH and I wandered around the countries, trying different celebratory drinks, people watching, dancing, and just enjoying the atmosphere!party: It was very busy, but Epcot is so large that it did not feel as bad even as a weekend at F&W! Youngest DS got tired of dancing, and walked around with us, and we all watched the midnight fireworks celebration, and finally made it back to our cabin at Fort Wilderness probably around 2-2:30 am. We stayed in the cabin pretty much January 1st, watching parades and bowl games; Michigan State was in the Rose Bowl, so we HAD to watch. I think we did grab some food somewhere during the day, but pretty much just recuperated from the previous two whirlwind days. My kids were 16, 13, and 11 at the time, and very active, so I would say we did much more than a family with smaller children. (I grew up with a Disney COMMANDO mom, so we were used to going non-stop:thumbsup2)
It was an amazing family trip, and we all would go again in an instant! Below is our family at the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. Sorry for the long post! If you have any other questions, just holler:goodvibes

Disney 2013 Holiday  2.jpg

Last edited:
It was crowded, but I did not think it was obscenely crowded. I am used to going to college football games with crowds in excess of 100,000, so I might not be the best judge. Going early, and late helps. When we were on the buses, we did see the signs about the closures, and ogled at the traffic, glad we were not stuck in it.

We spent New Year's Eve in Epcot, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else:banana: We went to MK the 30th, and did the NYE dress rehearsal, which was a blast! My DH and youngest DS got tired and went back early, my DD stayed for a bit longer, but my other DS and I stayed till the bitter end, which was probably around 1:00 am. MK's dress rehearsal is about the same as NYE, but I would guess a touch less crowded. It was still packed, but you could move and dance without feeling claustrophobic, which I believe I have a touch of. They have a huge dance party right at the castle, and pretty much everyone was participating. On the actual NYE, we went early to Epcot (I fully believe I am on a huge adrenaline rush when at WDW, and don't need as much sleep as usual:thumbsup2) We did our FP's in the morning, had a leisurely lunch at Via Napoli, did the "Behind the seeds" tour at Living with the land, and went to the Biergarten in Germany for dinner, around the time Germany was actually celebrating NYE in Europe, which was very entertaining. By the time we were done, it was almost dark outside and things were almost all set up. They had multiple dance areas, an American top 40 in FW, a dance area with a dragon in China, and a techno area in Italy. There was latin music at the America Gardens stage, and there may have been more. Our kids stayed pretty much at the Top 40 dance area, and DH and I wandered around the countries, trying different celebratory drinks, people watching, dancing, and just enjoying the atmosphere!party: It was very busy, but Epcot is so large that it did not feel as bad even as a weekend at F&W! Youngest DS got tired of dancing, and walked around with us, and we all watched the midnight fireworks celebration, and finally made it back to our cabin at Fort Wilderness probably around 2-2:30 am. We stayed in the cabin pretty much January 1st, watching parades and bowl games; Michigan State was in the Rose Bowl, so we HAD to watch. I think we did grab some food somewhere during the day, but pretty much just recuperated from the previous two whirlwind days. My kids were 16, 13, and 11 at the time, and very active, so I would say we did much more than a family with smaller children. (I grew up with a Disney COMMANDO mom, so we were used to going non-stop:thumbsup2)
It was an amazing family trip, and we all would go again in an instant! Below is our family at the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. Sorry for the long post! If you have any other questions, just holler:goodvibes

View attachment 194321

Thanks for all that detail! So sad that the osborne lights are no more :-/ Since the announcement I've been wondering what they'll do in its place. It was such a long tradition. Your post led me to a couple more questions: were you allowed to get fast passes ahead of time for new year's? or do they block it and you had to get it that morning? I'm curious if they offer the fireworks viewing options for epcot that night. if so, would you recommend it? Thanks for your replies :)

We went this past February during Mardi Gras and are planning to do early December 2017! Our DD will be 3 then and I just can't wait for her to see all the Christmas decorations! We will be staying at POR.

Thanks for all that detail! So sad that the osborne lights are no more :-/ Since the announcement I've been wondering what they'll do in its place. It was such a long tradition. Your post led me to a couple more questions: were you allowed to get fast passes ahead of time for new year's? or do they block it and you had to get it that morning? I'm curious if they offer the fireworks viewing options for epcot that night. if so, would you recommend it? Thanks for your replies :)
We were able to get FPs when our window opened, didn't have to wait or anything. They did not offer fireworks viewing options when we went, it was the first year of FP, and they were still tweaking things. There are two fireworks displays at Epcot that night an early (I think 9?) and the midnight (11:40) showings, so the crowd does thin a bit with many families of younger children leaving after the first display. I don't necessarily think you need to get the FP for the fireworks that night, I would rather have it for one of the attractions, but that's just me.

View attachment 194321

Thank you so much for the info, Sounds fantastic! That's a great family photo!

My mom is planning a Big Family trip with my family and my sister's family. A total of 13 of us. For Animal Kingdom Lodge or Villas June 12-20, 2018

For those of you who plan this far out regularly: About how much do Disney's prices go up every year? I am trying to figure out how much our vacation will cost, so I know how much to budget for savings.

I thought you were locked in if you put a deposit. 2018 is already open for booking :) reserved new year plus two weeks today ;)

I thought you were locked in if you put a deposit. 2018 is already open for booking :) reserved new year plus two weeks today ;)
Maybe you are locked in DVC, but for the resorts, the earliest you can book is 499 days in advance, and then when the regular rates come out, they update your booking to show the new price. I'm wondering if you had tried to book for later in 2018 if they would have let you book.
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ling-family-away-may-far-reservations-289266/

Maybe you are locked in DVC, but for the resorts, the earliest you can book is 499 days in advance, and then when the regular rates come out, they update your booking to show the new price. I'm wondering if you had tried to book for later in 2018 if they would have let you book.
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ling-family-away-may-far-reservations-289266/

499 from now is February, I think, so I doubt past that. I had no clue they raised the price after you put deposit. Are you sure? They give you the total, so it's hard for me to believe that after you start making payments that they'd change the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter