Who normally books a town car but will take Magical Express because its free?

lsteadman

DIS Veteran
I would normally book a town car; however, because magical express is free I will use it for my return trip portion.

For my upcoming trip, May 3rd I was thinking about using Mears shuttle the one-way price is $30.00 1 adult, 1 child. My only concern is getting off a Mears bus at the All-Stars and having a bus load of people trying to check in all at the same time.

OR

I could go with the one-way town car $50.00 1 adult, 1 child. My only concern is getting out of the town car and a bus load of Mears people trying to check in ahead of me. :rolleyes:

Well, 50/50 chance!

What are you going to do far as your transporation to/from park with the arrival of Magical Express!

Now for the ringer questions - Do you think towncar services will lower their prices since Disney is offering a little more competition in the "transportation" area? Free or $80.00 towncar service.

How much is "time" worth to you? Let's discuss!

Given the price of gas, airport fees and insurance I can't see the better towncar companies being able to discount their fees much.

People paying for a suite in the deluxe hotels will probably stay with the towncar but families staying in value and moderate resorts will probably give Magical Express a shot.

I suspect some of the towncar drivers/companies will be hurting.

We had planned on using a towncar for the first time on our next trip, but scrapped that plan when I heard about FREE Magical Express! Both times we've used Mears we were not in a herd of people at check in, so you might get lucky if you do go that route. Last trip we were the only ones going to ASMo on Mears (the only other couple was going to ASSp).

I do like the idea, however, I think I'll just stick with renting a limo because I hate to have to stop at all the other resorts and drop other guests off.

I'd rather pay to get taken directly to my resort. :sunny:

Im in the process of debating the same thing Town Car vs free Mears shuttle.

We used Tiffany Town Cars in January and said we would always use them for now on. It was so quick and conveniet, it was worth the extra $$

Whatever you decide, have a great trip :cool1:

Angela

I'd think a towncar would be faster than Magical Express BUT with Magical Express you don't have to wait for your luggage. If Disney is able to reduce your waiting time to about 10-15 minutes and lump stops together, one bus just for the MK resorts for example, the difference may not be as much as you'd think.

Remember some of Mears buses would make offsite stops, GP, MOWC, on the way to Disney. Magical Express won't be making those stops.

lsteadman said:
Now for the ringer questions - Do you think towncar services will lower their prices since Disney is offering a little more competition in the "transportation" area? Free or $80.00 towncar service.

How much is "time" worth to you? Let's discuss!
I agree with Lewisc, who wrote, "Given the price of gas, airport fees and insurance I can't see the better towncar companies being able to discount their fees much." My guess is that the towncar services will reduce their fleets and that some of their drivers will need to seek other employment. But the towncar companies will continue to price their services at rates that allow them to stay in business and make a profit. Towncar services don't depend entirely on Disney guests. Also, there will continue to be Disney guests who prefer the privacy, individual attention, grocery stop service, and not having to wait for other guests or to make other stops.

Yes, time is worth a lot to me. With Magical Express, we will no longer spend any time going to the baggage claim and waiting around for bags from our flight to start coming off, and then, eventually, for all of our bags to arrive.

Instead, we'll go straight to the Disney Welcome Center. Of course, the open question is how long it will take to check in at the Welcome Center and how long it will be until our assigned coach leaves. Ideally, we'll be on our way faster than with a towncar. Also the coach will make somewhere between zero and three stops. I assume they'll send coaches to resorts that are near each other (such as the Epcot resorts or the Magic Kingdom resorts).

Keep in mind that this isn't just a rebranding of the old Mears coach and van service. Although Disney is contracting with Mears, this will be a new service, with a new fleet. Chances are that service will be far more frequent and coaches will make far fewer stops because so many more guests will use Magical Express than the current Mears service.

Just to add to what Horace said... From what I am to understand, it will be Disney cast members who will be running the show. Mears will only be driving. Disney CMs will be doing all the scheduling for the motorcoaches.

I'm hoping to have more info on Friday...

After using the Mears shuttle on our first trip, I decided to go with a towncar service from then on. But, in June we will be giving the MagicExpress a shot. What we save will pay for a nice meal at WDW and not having to wait around for our luggage is a huge plus. Besides, when we use the towncar, we try to figure out a way to get all our stuff in carry-ons. That just doesn't cut it for us and I end up doing laundry several times. So, in June MagicExpress will be taking us to BCV and picking us up at POR. Well, unless those of you who use it before then report back that you've had some serious issues!!!

when we first started going to disney we used mears. we never have a problem, but now that we have more money, we usually take a towncar. i've been debating going with magic express since it's free.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
Just to add to what Horace said... From what I am to understand, it will be Disney cast members who will be running the show. Mears will only be driving. Disney CMs will be doing all the scheduling for the motorcoaches.

I'm hoping to have more info on Friday...
And Mears is just one contractor. There are other entities involved. From the press release:
<blockquote>In addition to partners at Orlando International Airport, Walt Disney World developed this innovative service in conjunction with private and public sector leaders including: the Mears Transportation Group, the largest provider of ground transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort; BAGS Inc., the provider and innovator in off-airport passenger check-in services for the hotel, convention, cruise and airline industries; ARINC Incorporated, a leading global provider of technology systems for airports and airlines; the Transportation Security Administration; and airline partners including: American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Song, United Airlines and Ted. Walt Disney World hopes to add other air carriers to the resort airline check-in service in the near future.</blockquote>
Please let us know what you learn on Friday.

I'm a happy limp guy every time. For $55+tip, I get personal direct door to door service w/ a grocery stop. The time "saved" w/ baggage handling and"direct check-in" will surely be lost w/multiple stops,getting in line at welcome center(not to mention no grocery stops, which save $);And do not believe this is truly free-ticket prices have recently been increased(when you extrapilate the true breakdown cost on most ticket options w/the new plan) and resort rate increases. Of course yoy have to stay at WDW resorts to use this service(and again w/no grocery stop will have to purchase everything at WDW at WDW prices(other than what you have lugged in your suitcases). If I owned a limo service, I would certainly not lower my prices, I would continue to market greater convienence and service to the higher end clientelle that already utilizes services like Happy Limo.

We'll give it a try when the service includes my preferred airlines - USAirways or SW. They weren't included the last time I checked. I love the towncars, but I love free much more! :cool1:

beccasmom said:
We'll give it a try when the service includes my preferred airlines - USAirways or SW. They weren't included the last time I checked. I love the towncars, but I love free much more! :cool1:

Incoming it doesn't matter what airline you fly. You can use them for transportation to the airport you just can't check your luggage at the resort. You'll have to get your luggage off the bus and check it yourself.

I am one of those that used Mears the 1st trip (before I knew better) and used towncars ever since then.
This trip I am one that will try Magical Express this time or until I hear lots of bad stories.
That will save us $125.00 - van w/tip.

Since we don't go until Nov, I am going to wait and see how it works for everyone. I do have that advantage. I really never waited that long for my luggage, and I agree it will take that much time to sign up at center and wait for bus to fill, and for bus to deliver to resorts. So, time will tell.

Fortunatly, my trip isn't until October, so I'll be able to "see it in action" by reading all the trip reports, before I have to make a decision!

If I do decide to use it, it would only be on the return. This is our honeymoon, and I love the idea of pulling up to the GF in a stretch limo, and letting the bell hop know we are Conceirge guests. I'm not normally a snob, but I like the idea of doing this trip first class all the way (except we have to fly coach 'cuz of Ted :( ) But taking ME on the way home makes sence, plus it would save us money.

Think I will continue to use town cars. Used tiffany in the past and count on using them again in october. The grocery stop, the personal service and the direct service is worth a hundred bucks.

I am planning to try Magical Express along with Wegoshop for my October trip.
As I read it you can use Magical Express even if it is not on a preferred airline. The difference being you would have to deal with your luggage on the return.

The point about the grocery stop is a good one, but since we do not ever make one, we are going to use Magical Express this year. We never plan any parks on our arrival or departure days, so time isn't of the essence to us. The towncars have been great, but we figure Magical Express will be a nice change of pace. And as another poster said, free is hard to pass up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter