Who has booked airfare through the internet?

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
I have been looking at Orbitz and Travelocity- but it does make me nervous. What experiences have others had? Anything I should look out for?

I've had no problems booking through Orbitz and Expedia. I usually check them out and then I also check out the airline's website too and if they are the same or lower I go with the airline website BUT if Orbitz or Expedia or Travelocity were cheaper, I'd go with them in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

I booked our flights through Travelocity for our December trip. The rate was $123.00 from Cleveland for Delta. I couldn't believe it! I booked it immediately and then got a little worried because the rate was so good and it was so easy to do. I thought about it and then called Delta to confirm. Yep, we were there! No problems. Cleveland to Orlando for 5 at the rate I purchased at. Then we got our credit card bill. It stated that we were flying from San Antonio, TX to Orlando! Yikes! Ok. Now, had I read my email itinerary from Travelocity, it stated that my billing would read San Antonio to Orlando because that is where they apparently do their billings from. Ok, long story short. No problems, have my itinerary, e ticket and all is well. Although I still call Delta every couple of weeks to check.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the major internet travel sites (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.). However, be aware that the pricing that they give you may not be an apples-to-apples comparison. For example, I booked our last flight on Travelocity because it looked like their fare for the same flight as on Expedia was $10 cheaper than Travelocity. Come to find out that the Expedia rate was a "total cost" price (including all taxes and fees) while Travelocity's quote included everything but their $10 per ticket handling fee. It was immaterial in the end because the price was basically the same, but it still bugged me that Travelocity made it look to the untrained eye that they were cheaper. So look at the fine print when a site shoots you a quote and see what's included or missing.

On a related note, be aware that the web sites run directly by the airlines sometimes only quote you the base cost of the ticket and totally exclude the taxes and associated airport and security fees. Adding those back in can sustantially increase the cost of the ticket.

I book all of my airfare through the internet. Probably about 20 trips now. I don't book through travelocity or expedia though. I just use them as a guide to prices, then go to the site I want (usually Delta.com or UAL.com--united) and book my tickets through them. I just finished booking my tickets for my Sept and my Oct. trips on Delta last week. I also used the new e-ticket checkin and that was wonderful. We just scan our Delta IDs and it prints our boarding passes.

Some of the major discount carriers (Southwest and Jet Blue) aren't even shown on Expedia, Orbits and Travelocity. Sometimes they have extra fees. Someone posted that (with some airlines) they issue (and charge) for paper tickets.

Always also check the airlines own website. Frequently you get extra FF mileage or a small additional discount for booking at the airlines own website.

As this has shown, there's no single "best" way or place to buy from... The cheapest place one trip may be the most expensive the next. Check the major travel sites and the airlines' sites and be aware that what exactly they are quouting you. But once you pull the trigger and buy a ticket, I wouldn't worry too much (no more than visiting a travel agent face to face).

Thanks everyone! I looked at NorthWest's website and it was a bit cheaper than Orbitz or Travelocity...... I think we'll probably book it tonight after dh and I talk about it.

If it is a good fare, or a special they are running, the tickets may be gone by tonight.

I have used Travelocity for 2 trips and have another booked for Oct. No problems so far.

Originally posted by lailah
I booked our flights through Travelocity for our December trip. The rate was $123.00 from Cleveland for Delta.

That is great! I have been looking for airfares from Columbus to Orlando for a November trip and keep getting $232.00. When did you book your trip?

Any other suggestions out there?:)

I always book through the internet. I usually go to Expedia and find the lowest rate then go to the airline's website and book there. That way I am not paying Expedia's $5 booking fee. I do miss their "fare calendar" feature that showed the lowest fares along with available dates. Not sure why the d'ced it.
I have never had trouble with an internet booked ticket. Once I was having problems with my IP and midway through the booking lost my connection, and then when I reconnected I rebooked and found that the first one had gone through after all. I was booked twice! Not a problem. I called ATA and they fixed it.
I even checked in online with ATA on a recent Las Vegas flight and it was smoooooth as silk.

I book all our flights the last 4 years over the internet. I take advantage of all the FF miles I can get.

1.Book e-ticket on airlines(Continental) site.........1000 FF miles
2.Print Boarding pass from home........1000 FF miles
3.Price of ticket....double FF miles
4.Book wife's ticket separate and get all of the above bonus FF miles also

I get e-mail alerts from Travelocity's site for price compaprison's then go directly to Airlines site to book.

I book through USAir's website, you get 1,000 bonus miles. Each person on the reservation gets the bonus miles, not just the person arranging it. Same with the e-ticket kiosk bonus, even if it's all 1 reservation both get it.

I get alerts from side step and then use USAir, they usually have the same price. We were thinking of taking an "extra" trip the first week in October. I got an alert from side step that tickets were $160 a couple of weeks ago, I jumped on them on USAir. This is the first time we have air & car and no hotel! I'm waiting for AP or Code rates to come out. I choose Oct 1 to 6 because Oct 1 is the last day of value season,so we'll get the value season rate for the whole trip. I checked disney.com and most resorts have rooms available, so I'm sure we'll get something.

I used to book through Travelocity, then had a really poor experience with them not actually having the tickets that I purchased, although I had printed boarding passes! I may use it for comparing prices. Now, I book directly with an airline via the internet.

If Travelocity turns out to have the lowest airfare, I would suggest checking with the airline to be sure you are listed in their system as well.

I booked about 2 months ago, but that rate was up for only about an hour. You have to check travelocity frequently. By the time I booked and told some of my girlfriends, they were gone! Keep checking constantly! You have to be in the right site at the right time.

I just found a fare of $230 per person on the NorthWest airlines website.... from our airport that is an excellent deal! Now if my dh would get home so I can book! Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Originally posted by Mermaid02
I just found a fare of $230 per person on the NorthWest airlines website.... from our airport that is an excellent deal! Now if my dh would get home so I can book! Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Thats good news...............but if you can I would call him( and get the OK) and book it as fast as you can.......it may be gone when he gets home.:(

I booked thru Expedia from Oakland to Orlando. With fees, $269 per person! Couldn't find that anywhere else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter