Who has been onboard Magic or Wonder with an 11 year old lately?

discorsner

DIS Veteran
Going to be cruising with an 11 year old in 2012. First we will go on the Magic in the beginning of the year and later we are going to go on the Fantasy. I realize we don't know exactly how things are going to go on the new ships yet so I am concentrating first on the Magic.

Our boys will be 8 and 11. I think that I understand the 8 year old's options pretty well. It seems like since we have cruised they have changed it to make the activities between the club and lab interchangeable and so if I am understanding it correctly since he is under 10 he could do any of those activities and go back and forth.

I am more worried about my 11 year old this time.... seems like he will qualify for "the edge" tween spot. I am wondering what activities there are as part of the edge group for 11-13 year olds. He is likely to enjoy the activities in the lab but it doen't look like (according to the new dcl kids web page) he will qualify for those.

So I am hoping someone could give me some examples of the 11-13 year old activities that they have encountered lately? Also has anyone had an 11 year old who wanted to be able to join in the oceaneer club activities and couldn't?

Thanks so much on any specific info I can get!!! :goodvibes

We just got off the Magic today with a 11 year old son, and 9 year old daughter.

We asked if DS could go to the Lab with our dd, and the answer was yes. He would have gotten a day pass to the lab.

In the Edge, (Im talking to my son as I type) there was scavenger hunts, pizza partys, late 1 night they were given free passes to Qurtermasters.

When I finish unpacking, Ill get the navigators out, and see what they say.

We were on the Wonder in August. The tween group there is called Out and About. They meet in one of the conference rooms on deck 2. The activities are similar to the Magic. They spend some time in the lab, once they went to the teen area, did activities in the sports deck, etc. My DS - 12, was ok with it.

Thanks so much for the repsonses. It puts my mind at ease a little. At least it sounds like if he really wants to go to the lab with his younger brother they may let him. :)

Your Welcome.

I remember from picking my son up (hes directionally challenged and I didnt want him getting lost on the ship trying to find the room) that there is a board in The Edge, that has a list of things they do, abuot every 30 minutes or so. The kids have an option as to whether or not to participate, or play with any of the interactive games/activities there,from Xbox, to Nintendo, to Wii, to computers.

My 12 year old did Ocean Quest in May and loved it. They made pizzas, sundaes, video games, swim party and played on the sports deck. She did not want to leave! She also spent a couple of hours in the Lab with our DS7 and had a good time there, but loved the activities in the Quest. I was concerned about her being able to leave when she wanted, but we would not allow her to leave by herself. We would set up a time for her to leave and we would walk down to get her. She highly recommends it!

What are ages for the tween club and what is the name on the Wonder? My DD is 10 and will be 11 in December. Our cruise is next month, and she thinks she is too old for the lab.
TIA!:goodvibes

Any word on if there are changes planned for a tweens club on the wonder when it moves to 7 night cruises?

Just got off the Wonder with an 11-year old. There were a lot more 7-8 year olds in the Lab than kids his age. The Out and About group was more suited to his age... but took careful planing as they had limited events at specific times. Out and About also requires the kid to have sign-out privileges.

The Lab worked OK for him, but he didn't love it.

We did the Magic over the summer and my 12 1/2 year old did not feel comfortable in the tween club. To her it was just a bunch of boys playing on the Wii all the time. It was on Deck 2. I think, it depends on the cruise because some kids click together and other don't. They had planned activities but they were always low in attendance. So, it wasn't as much fun. She ended up going to the Lab with her sister. I can't wait for our Dream cruise as the Tween club won't be as much of an afterthought. So, hopefully, that one will be more exciting plus she'll have a friend on that cruise. I should have made more an effort for her to meet other tweens before the cruise (I didn't realize how important that was until after it was over).

My DD10 enjoyed Out and About on the Wonder. As another poster mentioned, it requires the child to have sign out privileges, but we were okay with that. My DD is pretty independent. I think I heard somewhere that they are going to be updating the Wonder to have its own dedicated space for the tweens. The conference room was not very exciting. She's looking forward to our next cruise on the Fantasy with a dedicated tween area.

Just to let you know on the Magic at least when we sailed in July, Out and About is separate from the tween club which is called Ocean Quest. Out and About was recommended for 10 to 14 years olds. While Ocean Quest is for 11 to 13 years olds. Out and About would have scheduled activities but they weren't all day long. They pool parties, dodgeball, etc... Ocean quest is all with activities all day long. Ocean Quest had a lot of computer game type activities.

Going to be cruising with an 11 year old in 2012. First we will go on the Magic in the beginning of the year and later we are going to go on the Fantasy. I realize we don't know exactly how things are going to go on the new ships yet so I am concentrating first on the Magic.

Our boys will be 8 and 11. I think that I understand the 8 year old's options pretty well. It seems like since we have cruised they have changed it to make the activities between the club and lab interchangeable and so if I am understanding it correctly since he is under 10 he could do any of those activities and go back and forth.

I am more worried about my 11 year old this time.... seems like he will qualify for "the edge" tween spot. I am wondering what activities there are as part of the edge group for 11-13 year olds. He is likely to enjoy the activities in the lab but it doen't look like (according to the new dcl kids web page) he will qualify for those.

So I am hoping someone could give me some examples of the 11-13 year old activities that they have encountered lately? Also has anyone had an 11 year old who wanted to be able to join in the oceaneer club activities and couldn't?

Thanks so much on any specific info I can get!!! :goodvibes

I think the hard part for you is that you're looking at activities for a child 2 yrs from now and it's hard to picture them liking those things since they are still at their current age, if that makes sense. Most likely, 2 years from now, he will enjoy the activities for his age group.

My kids love OQ (or whatever they're calling it now.)

Just to clarify a little bit here on the names, since ruadusneyfan brought it up.

Disney is moving to change all of the names of the kids/teens clubs to the same name on all 4 ships. They may not be in the same locations, but the names will be the same

On the Magic, on deck 2 midships,formerly known as Ocean Quest, is now The Edge, as of the last drydock. The Vibe, is for the older teens, and is in the foward funnel, formerly Stack/Aloft.
On the Wonder, in the same space,(deck 2 midships) is Out and About, but in December will be renamed/ redone into The Edge, same as the Magic, and Vibe, is in the foward funnel, same as the Magic, formerly Stack/Aloft.

Something I came up with for my 11ds, since he is still learning the ship, was to have him call the room, when he was going to leave Edge. We were only 4 decks above it, and our room was midships also, so We knew about how long it should take, before we would have to look for him.

Thanks for all the comments! I agree with you that it is hard for me to picture my kids as older and that the next year and a half will bring a lot of changes!

For one, I can't picture him being old enought to sign out on his own let alone being required to have those privledges! Sounds scary to this over protective mama! :scared1:

BUT, by then maybe I will feel differently.

Can anyone post about their expereince with their kids being able to sign themselves out? Were there any problems that you encountered?

So when you have a tween you don't get a pager at all then? What about for the 8 year old, that hasn't changed has it?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the comments! I agree with you that it is hard for me to picture my kids as older and that the next year and a half will bring a lot of changes!

For one, I can't picture him being old enought to sign out on his own let alone being required to have those privledges! Sounds scary to this over protective mama! :scared1:

BUT, by then maybe I will feel differently.

Can anyone post about their expereince with their kids being able to sign themselves out? Were there any problems that you encountered?

So when you have a tween you don't get a pager at all then? What about for the 8 year old, that hasn't changed has it?

Thanks again!

When ds13 was 9, we 1st wouldn't let him sign out but mid week changed our mind and tried it. He would just go back to our room and watch tv.
For ds10 last year, then 9.5, we sailed with 2 other families so they had 5 other kids to pal around with. I felt a lot better that he was rarely alone. At one point, he left his key in the room and couldn't get back in. He went to GS and they reissued him a new key. I was a little freaked out at first but still he had the sense to know what to do and handled it well I thought. I'm sure it's not the 1st time they've heard it.

Minimum age for sign out privileges is 9 so an 8 yr old won't be given the option. It will ask during online check in for ages 9 & up if you want your child to have sign out privileges and/or charging privileges on his/her room key. We haven't yet seen the need to allow that but friends that we sail with allow all 3 of their teens to charge and they are all really good about it. Maybe $20 for a 7 nt cruise for slushies and theater snacks.
My ds would be glued to the arcade so I don't ever see that happening. :lmao: I imagine the Dream & Fantasy's arcades will be much bigger too and we'll really be dragging him out. :rolleyes:

DS10 will be 11 right before our cruise. I can't imagine him having sign out privileges in a year from now.

Do they give out optional pagers for us helicopter parents?

My ds would be glued to the arcade so I don't ever see that happening. :lmao: I imagine the Dream & Fantasy's arcades will be much bigger too and we'll really be dragging him out. :rolleyes:

Yeah I def do not see charging privledges happening. heck no. lol
I'm sure I will feel differently next year but I still can't imagine not knowing where he is on the ship and if he got confused and didn't follow a plan it seems like we could be looking for him for hours??:scared1:

I'll take it as it comes I guess.:thumbsup2

DS10 will be 11 right before our cruise. I can't imagine him having sign out privileges in a year from now.

Do they give out optional pagers for us helicopter parents?

Sorry, no. There is absolutely no signing in/out, paging etc. Kids that spend a lot of time there get to be known by name by the CMs of course. We'd stop in and they'd say, "Oh I just saw Rxxx leave. He said he was getting something to eat."

So we'd head up to Pluto's or Pinocchios and he'd be watching Nemo while eating some pizza.

It's funny looking back cuz it is so hard to cut those strings with our babies. The first time we let them even just get food on their own, dh and I watched from deck 10 without them knowing. They did all the things we'd normally do when we'd eat with them and that's when you realize they do this stuff every day in school without us and they'll be just fine navigating their way w/o us.
Now ds is almost 14, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and way taller and stronger than me. Still though, I keep reminding him he's still young and naive is many ways. Never go anywhere alone with anyone, don't accept gifts, etc. Be polite but know when something doesn't feel right, it's ok appear 'rude' and just run and tell us.
One of the harder parts of parenting for sure.

Thanks for all the feedback! You make some really good points with having to cut the strings and thinking about how much they do in school on their own everyday. Great points and maybe I just need to relax.

I am also wondering if this may be a possible strategy... since we will have to have a pager for our 8 year old who will be in the lab I am wondering whether my 11 year old could go to the lab and have them page us. For instance we could make sure he 100% would know how to get to the lab where his brother would be and then back to our room but if he was not able to find us or was worried about something instead of just wondering around or staying at his activity unhappy could he go to the lab and they would know how to contact us.

I am also trying to figure out how to make it as easy for DH and I to have a good time and be able to do activities we want. For example one of the joys of our last DCL cruise was being able to do whatever we wanted together and know the boys were happy and safe. The joy in it was we could fly by the seat of our pants and go wherever we wanted on the ship and they could page us no matter what.

I want to make sure that this is not going to be a step backwards for us in that now every activity we do we are not sure what our 11 year old is doing or if he is ok. My husband says by next year we probably won't even be worried about it but I am still not so sure. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter