Who else hate pot lucks at work??? UPDATE! (Again)

Just a fair warning this is a straight up vent.

I have worked places that always had very elaborate pot lucks; when I started my current job about 3 weeks in they were asking people to sign up for dishes for a potluck. Since I was the new person and I didn't really know how things were done there I made a fairly time consuming dish that always goes over very well. It did go over very well....the only trouble is I was the only one who put any effort into making a dish at all. Literally every single other contribution was things along the lines of a store bought package of cookies, chips and dip, 2 liters of soda, etc. It's like that every time. One time someone even brought in like 5 bananas as their contribution. Not even a whole bunch of them. We have a pot luck about every other month and I always get requests to make what has become my signature dish. Every once in awhile someone else will actually make a dish but mostly it's store bought chips and the like.

We are having a pot luck tomorrow and I was asked by about 6 people to make it. I didn't have any of the stuff, worked 11 hours today, picked up my overly grumpy son from school, drug him to the store, spent $18 on ingredients, then spent an hour and a half making it because nothing was clean or where it should have been, then finally emerged from the kitchen to find my son passed out on the couch. So there went my night haha. And I guarantee tomorrow my dish will be surrounded by half a bunch of bananas, a can of mixed nuts, some chez it's, and a 2 liter of coke.

Yes I realize how grumpy this sounds and I know I could refuse to make it and instead bring in something lazy like everyone else. But I do enjoy cooking most of the time, this just hasn't been my day. And I already don't get along with my coworkers very well. Really it's just time for a new job haha.

So who else wants to be grumpy about work pot lucks (or even pot lucks in general or even work in general ...I won't judge) with me????

Sorry if this was already addressed, (I read the first page, but not the other 2), I really want to know what you bring that's so popular! What is it?

I used to sit in a wing where we would have a potluck/treat day every time it was someone's birthday. In a large wing, that was just ridiculous. Now, in my current wing, we have maybe 4 potlucks a year and you bring in treats on your own birthday.
I also only eat store bought items, for the most part. With working FT and a very busy schedule with DS's activities, I always buy something on the way to work, usually from the bakery. When we do have a sign-up, I always sign up for something I can buy like baked goods or paper products.
I have passed this on to my DS, who came home from school and told me they were having a fiesta tromorrow, but not to worry since he signed up for napkins :)

OP, veggie pizza takes a lot of time, work and money. I would find something less expensive and easier to make next time.

LOL - I solved this problem long ago by discovering that the most popular item on practically any potluck table is a bucket of KFC. Seriously - hot, cold, fresh, day-old, they hoover it up. It's my go-to now even though I could make something I think is 1,000X better with my eyes closed.
Thanks for the KFC tip.... I too am not fond of potlucks...
  • for the amount of store bought food, I say let's go out for a team lunch.
  • how long should food be left out before it's no longer safe?
  • I pity the janitor at the end of the day for cleanup
  • we have a mice in some departments at work
  • who wants to sit next to the foods? I hate being near the chatter next to my desk.
  • With so many people making dessert and cakes.... I found fruit platters are a safe choice for me, I hate left overs. Women love to be healthy. Pick it up on the way to the office. Hey there's a 50% clearance discount in the mornings! Looks kinda funny, but it's not visible in the office lighting.

Thanks for the KFC tip.... I too am not fond of potlucks...
  • for the amount of store bought food, I say let's go out for a team lunch.
  • how long should food be left out before it's no longer safe?
  • I pity the janitor at the end of the day for cleanup
  • we have a mice in some departments at work
  • who wants to sit next to the foods? I hate being near the chatter next to my desk.
  • With so many people making dessert and cakes.... I found fruit platters are a safe choice for me, I hate left overs. Women love to be healthy. Pick it up on the way to the office. Hey there's a 50% clearance discount in the mornings! Looks kinda funny, but it's not visible in the office lighting.

Yep...my awesome boss takes us out for lunch at least once a quarter. She is the one who brought in the champagne for our mimosas today :)

About once a month or so, our HR dept or one of our ERG's will host a breakfast, lunch, or snack for the whole office. We rarely do potlucks. Catered is so much nicer (and easier)!

If my dept wants food one day, we will usually get together and order Jimmy Johns or pizza. My boss usually pays for it, but sometimes we all put our own money in and one person places the order.

Since you have potlucks so often, the next time someone requests your item, tell them that you won't be making this time, but will probably do so in a couple months. Find something easier to make to bring for the next one and the one after that. No need to spend 1 1/2 hours of your night making a dish. And who knows, maybe the easier dish will be a winner too!

No potlucks at my company. 2 or 3 times a year we'll have something catered. Several people might bring in a homemade cake or brownies, but that's about it.

Sorry if this was already addressed, (I read the first page, but not the other 2), I really want to know what you bring that's so popular! What is it?

Wouldn't it have been just as fast (and more polite) to just skim the two pages for the recipe rather than post to ask a question that was already answered numerous times?

Grr well I'm having technical difficulties. But the spread today included:

-Luna protein bars (must be popular...only 3 left when I visited!)
-a box of chex. You read that right. Chex, not chex mix. Corn I believe.
-a bag of tootsie rolls
-fruit snacks (with juicy centers!)
-brownie bites (store)
-chocolate chip cookies (store)
-a bag of salad mix (literally in the bag)
-baked beans (hey that's something! In a crockpot and everything!)
-1 bag bbq chips
-4 2 liters and a 12 pack of soda cans
-one kick-A tray of veggie pizza

Be jealous guys!!!
That is just strange!!!

So, let me get this straight:

The non-paid, paying-thousands-to-actually-DO-the-internship, Interns should buck up and buy/make breakfast for the paid professionals who have no time or inclination to help them learn the business/industry because they are not being paid extra?

Just trying to clear that up in my mind. I *hope* I'm reading it wrong....

And maybe it seems like it is meant to be a nice gesture to treat the interns, to me, but it really isn't the way it should be done? I don't know, to be honest. My office admins would just order a catered breakfast. We do that much more often than a pot-luck. And we love our summer interns around here, so I don't think that even if it was a potluck, anybody here would begrudge them a bagel and some cut up fruit once a year.

Yeah that isn't real clear-sorry-I meant the college of these interns should spring for the breakfast:) The college tends to assume alot when it comes to us regular working joes in our line of work-and the boss and his boss (both products of this program) go right along with it. It is getting to the point of ridiculousness now as the last time we hired for OUR position one of the college teachers sat in on the interviews! My job description had NO requirements of taking interns yet every year we are expected to more (did I say no compensation?) Work in nutrition in a hospital where the hospital "college" (started as a nursing school and has expanded) is closely aligned with the clinical side. My profession tends to have more females around - and every year I wonder if it was male dominated if they would be expected to cook for the new kids-also happens to be the week school starts for MY children so no, I am NOT worried about a bunch of 20 somethings when the dang college could spring for the breakfast!

ETA: OP description of her potluck today reminded me of the last time one of the professors brought something to the potluck breakfast-HE brought a box of cereal and a quart of milk. Seriously. apparently his wife didn't feel like it was her problem for his work potluck:rotfl:

Last edited:

-a bag of tootsie rolls
-brownie bites (store)
-1 bag bbq chips

Be jealous guys!!!

Quite the buffet! :)

-a bag of tootsie rolls
-brownie bites (store)
-1 bag bbq chips

Be jealous guys!!!
That is not a potluck-that is snack hour. Yeah-time to quit that. I wouldn't even bother to bring an "easy" dish as it appears everyone else is completely indifferent to the this way-past-its-prime ritual:)

Sounds like everyone is Pot-lucked out. It is evident in the lazy offerings. People are just slapping boxes and bags of stuff on a table that they probably grabbed from the pantry in the morning. I would not participate any longer, or I would just buy a bag of oreos and plunk them on the table and be done.

Yeah that isn't real clear-sorry-I meant the college of these interns should spring for the breakfast:) The college tends to assume alot when it comes to us regular working joes in our line of work-and the boss and his boss (both products of this program) go right along with it. It is getting to the point of ridiculousness now as the last time we hired for OUR position one of the college teachers sat in on the interviews! My job description had NO requirements of taking interns yet every year we are expected to more (did I say no compensation?) Work in nutrition in a hospital where the hospital "college" (started as a nursing school and has expanded) is closely aligned with the clinical side. My profession tends to have more females around - and every year I wonder if it was male dominated if they would be expected to cook for the new kids-also happens to be the week school starts for MY children so no, I am NOT worried about a bunch of 20 somethings when the dang college could spring for the breakfast!

ETA: OP description of her potluck today reminded me of the last time one of the professors brought something to the potluck breakfast-HE brought a box of cereal and a quart of milk. Seriously. apparently his wife didn't feel like it was her problem for his work potluck:rotfl:

Gotcha!!! LOL

I was like - someone cannot possibly be THAT angry about interns LOL

Totally makes more sense now. You are right....the college should do something for YOU guys AND their students!

Sure! There are variations but this is the one I use. Just mix it up the night before and bring in some chips with it. YUMMM!!!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jalapeno-popper-spread/

This recipe is awesome and SO easy. I also like the buffalo chicken dip recipe on there, but you do have to cook the chicken (canned chicken is gross) so it takes longer. In a pinch, I've also bought the spinach artichoke dip at costco and put it in my crock pot. The ingredient list is just what you would put in your own homemade dip and it's really good.

-a bag of tootsie rolls
-brownie bites (store)
-1 bag bbq chips

Be jealous guys!!!

YUCK. I would not be eating that garbage. Seriously, people need to discontinue pot lucks at your work if that is the stuff people bring. Do you work with mostly men? When I've had office jobs with mostly women, we'd all try to outdo each other with what we brought. But heck, even when my husband worked at a place with potlucks, I did try to send him in with something decent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter