Who did you book through and why?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by nosnits, Jan 18, 2013.

1. nosnits

nosnits Earning My Ears

I am planning our first ever cruise and have come to this board to get as much information as possible before we take the plunge. I have been reading the recent threads about perks for booking with certain agencies. Honestly I would never have known that if I hadn't seen the posts which makes me really glad I am doing some digging before booking. I would have just went straight to Disney not thinking about other options.

My question is, who did you book your Disney cruise with and why did you choose them?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We use Costco to get the nice Costco Cash Cards. I am pretty familiar with cruising, though, and like to do my own research on ships, itineraries, ports of call, etc. I call Costco and tell the agent what we want and they book it.

A cruiser who doesn't like researching might do better with a good, local TA. They also might offer a nice perk to book with them.

4. DLBDS

DLBDS Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

I chose Small World Vacations to book my first WDW vaca several years ago and I loved the TA assigned to me so much that I've used her for every Disney vaca since, including cruises. They offer onboard credits as well. Dreams Unlimited handled one cruise but it was the first DISUnplugged cruise so that's why. After that one, I went back to SWV. Dreams Unlimited was awesome as well but I wanted to remain loyal to my TA and SWV. They handle all requests you make. All I have to do is email her my request and she replies the same day confirming it was done. I really have nothing bad to say about either company.

5. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

I used Drams Unlimited. The OBC was about the same everywhere I checked, so I just went with DU since I use their boards.

6. sandlsmom

sandlsmom Earning My Ears

I used Dreams Unlimited as well. :)

7. SusanU

SusanU Mouseketeer

Dreams Unlimited right on this board. (See link at top) I have booked 9 times with them for our group of 9, and they always get right back to you and get you the best prices found anywhere. They also keep looking for the best price specials and since they specialize in Disney they know all the ins and outs if there is a problem. I have been impressed how quickly they get right back to you, even around holidays!

8. EDH Family

EDH Family Married to the Mouse

It seems that a new thread appears on a weekly basis regarding this topic. I really don't understand if people are searching previous threads or trolling?

9. daisydog2

daisydog2 Earning My Ears

I've used mouseear vacations and Laurie has been great. Gets back to me whenever I e-mail her right away. We haven't taken our cruise yet, but if all goes well, she'll be the only one I use. And she got us a great OBC in addition to the one Disney offers...:cheer2:

10. gunka

gunka DIS Veteran

Searching on the dis is very hard. You get multi page trip reports or fe groups and its hard to find what you are looking for, so I understand when people ask the questions that are buried somewhere deep in the boards.

We used Costco also, new what we wanted to do, so didn't need the assistance of a TA. Enjoyed the Costco cash card when we returned from our trip.

11. DLBDS

DLBDS Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

:thumbsup2 I try searches daily. Sometimes I find what I'm looking for sometimes not. Sometimes it's just quicker to just ask the dang question. Most folks here are eager to help you out.

12. taylor3297

taylor3297 DIS Veteran

I use Stephanie at Mousefan travel. She has great customer service.

13. armywife2001

armywife2001 Earning My Ears

We just booked a cruise through Dreams Unlimited and so far its been a great experience.

14. natandscott

natandscott Mouseketeer

We booked through Small World Vacations. The service, so far, has been outstanding! SWV is currently offering a promotion where they will give you an onboard credit--and the price is the same as on the disney cruise website.

15. nosnits

nosnits Earning My Ears

I can assure you I am not a troll. I am just new to the boards and new to cruises in general. I am here just like many others to get tips and advice from some of the very knowledgeable and helpful people that are here. I did do a search on the topic and did not find anything recent. I have been lurking for about 2 weeks now and had yet to see the topic covered except a thread comparing Small World vs. Costco. If there was something I do apologize for wasting your time and having you read a post you felt was unnecessary.

To everyone else who replied: Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the advice and your recommendations!

16. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

For our first Disney cruise we booked with a local TA and received pretty good service and nothing else. This time around, I did my research and currently have two Disney cruises booked with Dreams Unlimited. I received a nice amount of onboard credit based on the price of my cruise that I would not have received had I booked with my local TA again. I was also able to received OBC that DCL was offering at the time as well. Beth Czada is my agent and any questions I have, she answers promptly even on weekends and holidays. I still have complete control over my reservation and will book any excursions and adult dining that I choose to do. However, if I have a problem or want to change something, I simply let Beth know and she takes care of it for me. :)

17. EDH Family

EDH Family Married to the Mouse

No need to apologize, but there have been TA's that toot their own horn in a similar fashion. To each their own.. You will hear stories positive and negative from all TA's so it's a preference.

18. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

I use a TA who is "censored" if I name them on the boards. Perhaps it will be helpful if I tell you what I look for in a TA. There are many out there who meet these requirements.

First, remember that you are "buying" both the agent and the agency and be sure that you are happy with both. Next, I would not consider someone who has not personally been on one of the ships in fairly recent years (Disney makes it quite easy and inexpensive for TAs to cruise). They need to have personally taken the training that Disney provides to agents. Be careful here--some agencies with multiple offices will have one agent go to training and advertise that 'we" have done so. Look for an agent that communicates the way YOU want, whether that is an 800 number, e-mail, snail mail, or whatever. I like an agency that has extended hours. 9-5 may not be when I have time to deal with travel matters; it is helpful that they have some evening and weekend time available. I like that they have an 800 number 24/7 for emergencies while I'm traveling; I'd never dream of abusing this number, but it is great to know that it's there "just in case." While I like having one agent that I talk with most of the time, it is also great to have an office staffed with others who can pull up my file and assist if my agent is unavailable (after all, they have to take time off to be on the ship, right?)

And it doesn't hurt that you feel comfortable with the agent on a personal level.....

19. texasgirl73

texasgirl73 Obsessive Trip Planner

I book with Disney directly. I like having control of everything, I don't want to have to email or call someone else to do something that I could do myself sooner. I'm impatient so waiting on a TA would drive me nuts. I do my research so I don't really need someone to guide me. The control is important enough to me to give up any sort of OBC a TA is willing to offer. I do the same with any other sort of travel. I research, plan, and reserve everything myself. The research is fun for me and helps me fight off the post vacation blues. Finish one trip, research the next...and when I'm comfortable enough to book everything myself I proceed.

20. Pikezh638

Pikezh638 DIS Veteran

Is it a bad thing that I am looking to just do it myself?

21. modisneychick

modisneychick Mouseketeer

I used to book with Disney directly. Once I found out about on-board credit, I booked with Dreams Unlimited. After our first cruise with them I tried to book two more cruises, but didn't have an agent that was willing to help me (wouldn't answer questions, took forever to return e-mails and more).

I book with Dreams Delivered Travel (www.dreamsdeliveredtravel.com). Lisa has been fabulous!

Here is what I want in a travel agent:
    - Prompt response and timely communication
    - Willingness to look for answers
    - Keeping up-to-date on information related to my travel (specials that might reduce my cost, excursion information, local information, etc.)
    - On board credit