Which Universal hotel?

PudseyChancer

Mouseketeer
Am really tempted to add a couple of days on to our holiday next August to enable us to visit Universal, we're staying onsite at OKW for two weeks and don't plan on going offsite once we're there.

Obviously the main advantage is the front of the line pass, but which hotel would be best to stay in, I've heard good things about HRH but really like the the look of Portofino. We've got a 5 and an 8 year old so which hotel would you recommend for us??? :confused3

HRH!
dinner with shrek and scooby doo, dive in movies and beach with sand!! we stayed club (free upgrade :goodvibes, the kids were seriouslyspoilt rotten! advantage of club, water and snakcs to take to the park, free beer and wine in the evening and ice cream before bed!!
i have studied hospitality for years (degree and now i teach catering and hospitality) the hotel was the most amazing place i have ever stayed in, and i have stayed in soem very nice hotels!
the kids will adore it, i stumped for a cabana, which was a waste of time as kids just wanted to swim, obsessed with hearing the music under the water:rotfl2:
we are considering on site at US studios next year - would be interested in what others say, see if the can change my mind!
thanks
tracy

We have just recently returned from a week at RPR, i cant compare with the other two on site hotels because i havent stayed in them but i can tell you that RPR is absolutley fantastic and im sure you would love it. From what i have seen and read though i dont think you will be dissapointed in any of them and maybe with the age of your children HRH would be best. Front of line is brilliant you will have a great time which ever hotel you choose:thumbsup2

Hey burt, good to "see" you again! Was going to ask for your opinion on RPR as Carl and I have booked for our anniversary and want to do two nights at a Universal hotel for FOTL.

Hey burt, good to "see" you again! Was going to ask for your opinion on RPR as Carl and I have booked for our anniversary and want to do two nights at a Universal hotel for FOTL.

Hi Jen didnt recognise you in the pics!! how did the wedding day go? RPR is really great we honestly couldnt fault it ( apart from 15 dollars a night to park the car!!!) the FOTL is a real bonus. You will love it i promise. So hows married life? is he behaving himself lol:rotfl2:

We've stayed at all three (twice at PBH, twice at HRH and three times at RPR). All three are great, but RPR is the cheapest and the most recently refurbished (although I guess that could change before your trip). PBH is a bit too far out. It's certainly walkable, but a bit of a trek. When the weather's bad, your only option is the bus because it's too far to walk in the rain and the boat service doesn't run during thunder storms. There's really not much to choose between the other two (other than price). It depends whether you prefer "hip and cool" or "laid back island vibe".

Have stayed at RPR and PBH, HRH just does not appeal to me at all.
PBH in July was extremely quiet, and DD was bored especially at the beach pool, there was no pool activites going on at all, but the resort is beautiful. We stayed at RPR before we went to PBH, and for kids there is a lot going on, we left PBH one day to go over to see a few friends we have made over the years at RPR, and compared to PBH the place was buzzing, think DD wanted us to move back for the remainder of our stay. Just about to book RPR for next July as i know roughly what my dates are, but look at the theming and decide what would suit you best, if you are only staying 1 or 2 nights for the FOTL passes, i would go the cheapest, which would normally be RPR, although our stay in July at PBH was the cheapest for that week

Hi Jen didnt recognise you in the pics!! how did the wedding day go? RPR is really great we honestly couldnt fault it ( apart from 15 dollars a night to park the car!!!) the FOTL is a real bonus. You will love it i promise. So hows married life? is he behaving himself lol:rotfl2:

Lol, Wayne said the same thing! A bit different from our usual them park look, that's for sure :rotfl:

Married life is lovely so far (a whole three and a half weeks!) and the wedding day was perfect - we were so lucky with the weather as the following day it was horrendous. And yes, Carl seems to be behaving himself. He's a registered user on here now, as I don't need to hide photos of my wedding dress anymore - his user name is Phoenix 17 and he's made it his mission to be chief planner for the next trip.

Good to hear your positive reviews of RPR - if we renew our APs for Disney (which we will if we can get 15 months for price of 12) then we'll get free parking there, so that would balance out a couple of nights at RPR.

The Hard Rock Hotel everytime. Stayed in loads of hotels everywhere and easily the best hotel I stay in. If you love your music and I mean real music - not manufactured pap, you will love the place.

I am staying in a kids suite for 14 nights from Sunday and I can't wait.

We have only stayed at HRH but can recommend it.
The Kichen at breakfast was fantastic.

Our 11, 9 and 7 year old loved looking around the hotel at the rock memorabilia. The pool with the piped music was awesome.

I would love to try the others as they also appealed :)

It depends whether you prefer "hip and cool" or "laid back island vibe".

Deb, I like to think I'll be bringing my own 'Yorkshire cool' to Orlando, so clearly the HRH is for me, now where did I put that knotted hanky?

The Hard Rock Hotel everytime. Stayed in loads of hotels everywhere and easily the best hotel I stay in. If you love your music and I mean real music - not manufactured pap, you will love the place. I am staying in a kids suite for 14 nights from Sunday and I can't wait.

Kev, as a dedicated hater of most musical things manufactured (or pap as you so eloquently put it!!!) - and I include x-factor and Britain's got (no) talent in that, you have swayed me towards HRH! Would love to see a trip report or photos from your upcoming trip - have a great time. :thumbsup2

HRH!
dinner with shrek and scooby doo, dive in movies and beach with sand!! we stayed club (free upgrade :goodvibes, the kids were seriouslyspoilt rotten! advantage of club, water and snakcs to take to the park, free beer and wine in the evening and ice cream before bed!!
tracy

Having been subjected to the Scooby Doo theatre show, I feel that if the kids were to hear about lunch opportunities with the same, then I would be lynched if I allowed this opportunity to pass us by!

Thanks for all your replies guys, always better to get first hand experiences than rely on the glossy brochures.

Cheers! :thumbsup2

we absolutely loved PBH.... the hotel felt really luxurious to us and I would thoroughly recommend it. Debbie is right though.. the boats dont go in thunder storms and its a little far to walk.... otherwise its fab!

Have stayed at all 3, RPR is the cheapest and IMHO it should be, Portofino's lovely but a little far out, HRH super - especially club level but don't go during HHN ..... it's Mad!!!!

Personally for an August trip I'd choose HRH and if you can stretch your budget a little try the club level on the 7th floor

Personally for an August trip I'd choose HRH and if you can stretch your budget a little try the club level on the 7th floor

Have been doing a little research and the kids rooms look great, I don't mind splashing out as we're only staying two nights before we get to OKW.

I think we're pretty much set on HRH - thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it! :thumbsup2

We have stayed at both the HRH and the RPR and although we loved the Hard Rock our preference is now the Royal Pacific. It's just that little bit more laid back (IMHO).
Both are fantastic though so you cannot go wrong whichever you choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter