Which retired attraction do you wish you could have ridden?

Flight To The Moon closed in 1975 and was repurposed as Mission To Mars. So you missed that one. But you didn't miss much. It was the worst attraction in WDW history...by a lot. This pretty much sums it up:

4e6d7380.jpg

lol - as kid I liked both those attraction versions. :)

lol - as kid I liked both those attraction versions. :)
Actually, so did I. I look back on it now and think about how cheesy it was, but, I was always more focused on the novelty then the detail. It was a clever and very simple design that was kinda fun at the time. I still chuckle at how the dropping seat bottom was used to fabricate G forces, simple and clever.

Flight To The Moon closed in 1975 and was repurposed as Mission To Mars. So you missed that one.
Well, I did see it as Mission to Mars which wasn't terribly different. Both versions sure beat Alien Encounter or Stitch, which occupies that space now.

Well, I did see it as Mission to Mars which wasn't terribly different. Both versions sure beat Alien Encounter or Stitch, which occupies that space now.
Eh. I guess I also missed the first version but I'd take Alien Encounter over Stitch or Mars any day.

No you are not alone. To me Horizons was a good show, but as you said, not only did it have to many almost the same rides, but, Horizons didn't have the repeat-ability that some of the others did. Spaceship Earth had just the right amount of variety that it always had re-ride potential. For me it was anticipation of getting to the top and seeing the Earth from outer space. I always hoped that it would stop when we got to that spot. It never has, at least for me. World of Motion was another keeper. Imagination was good for the first few minutes then after that it could get pretty boring, but, that was enough to keep me coming back and napping after the beginning. After riding it many, many times, I recently watched a You Tube video of the ride and frankly did not remember any of it other then the flight with the Dreamfinder and Figment. That should tell you how impressed I was with the rest of it.

Funny my least favorite part of Horizons was the "pick a scene" part. It was always grainy and hard to see and really was unimpressive to me. Where the rest of it put you in a place... that, to me, just kicked you right out again with it's total lack of reality.
I think for me the ending was like the chose you own adventure books I loved as a kid so while I agree it wasn't the best quality it was still a cool experience at the time.

I'm curious, was 20,000 Leagues known for having long lines?[/QUOTE

I would think so. I know that's the reason we didn't ride it on my only trip to DL in 1990.

For me, it would be Horizons or the original Journey Into Imagination. We went to Epcot back in the early 90's with my marching band, but we were back doored into Epcot in World Showcase and never went over to Future World.:eek:

I think that might be it. I pretty much despise Mission Space so it was particularly galling to ride it after my favorite ride was taken away.
I loved the first version of Test Track and still miss World of Motion more. Of course I absolutely detest the current version of Tron Track so maybe that's made the nostalgia a little stronger.

I think for me the ending was like the chose you own adventure books I loved as a kid so while I agree it wasn't the best quality it was still a cool experience at the time.
I think you hit upon the reason why I didn't care for it. I never saw it as a kid. I was in my 30's before I experienced it. Everything is much more exciting through a kids eyes and leaves a lasting impression. :-) I was aware that it was a highly technical and different thing, I just thought the quality kind of took away from it a lot.

As much as I would like to agree with you, the fact is that it was great in it's time. Today it would be laughed out of the park. Expectations are much higher now then back then. Just look at the negative discussions about the very nice new ride of 7DMT, and see how many complaints are there just because it isn't as long or as adrenaline producing as they would like.

When that stuff first came out it was a novelty and no one else was doing it. We loved it. Introduced now, after experiencing high tech stuff would no longer cut it. I enjoyed it, back then, but, I cannot agree that it was better then Alien or Stitch for there ability to make you feel like it is/was really happening.

Well, I'm feeling awfully old now. I remember the queue for 20,000 leagues - there was a canopy area but I don't remember it as a HUGE wait but it was a slow loader. Fortunately I remember nearly all the other rides mentioned here - I enjoyed the skyway, and have a great picture of my mom and I on it. Didn't really like Mr. Toad, but it was a "must do".

I think the only one I would wish I could have experienced would be River Country also.

Oy, I'm going to start filling out my AARP membership application......

Well, I'm feeling awfully old now

I think the only one I would wish I could have experienced would be River Country also.

Oy, I'm going to start filling out my AARP membership application......
Well considering the first attraction closed in 1975, that's over 40 years ago, so if you're old enough to remember that, you're probably already an AARP member (I am).

River Country was a fun place. One thing I distinctly remember, though, is that one of the water slides ended well above the surface of the pool so you had a good size drop before you hit the water. One time I somehow came down wrong and ended up making my nose bleed from the impact with the water.

As much as I would like to agree with you, the fact is that it was great in it's time. Today it would be laughed out of the park. Expectations are much higher now then back then. Just look at the negative discussions about the very nice new ride of 7DMT, and see how many complaints are there just because it isn't as long or as adrenaline producing as they would like.

When that stuff first came out it was a novelty and no one else was doing it. We loved it. Introduced now, after experiencing high tech stuff would no longer cut it. I enjoyed it, back then, but, I cannot agree that it was better then Alien or Stitch for there ability to make you feel like it is/was really happening.
I totally agree that an attraction like Flight to the Moon or Mission to Mars would flop today. I would still rather have either of those than Stitch or Alien. Heck, I'd rather have a gift shop or phone charging station than Stitch or Alien.

As for 7DMT, I think it's a fun ride but I don't think it should have replaced the original Snow White dark ride. They are two completely different experiences. And for the folks who say it isn't "adrenaline producing", they're missing the point. It's not supposed to be a thrill ride. It's supposed to be a family ride.

These aren't retired, but I've never been to Blizzard Beach and have always wanted to. I wish I could experience the park and ride all the slides. I missed the park because it didn't exist the first two times I went, then we went once in winter and it was too cold, then I recently went for a short trip with my family, and we didn't have time, plus my toddler hates swimming so we didn't go there. I must go on my next visit, though who knows when that will be.

I totally agree that an attraction like Flight to the Moon or Mission to Mars would flop today. I would still rather have either of those than Stitch or Alien. Heck, I'd rather have a gift shop or phone charging station than Stitch or Alien.

As for 7DMT, I think it's a fun ride but I don't think it should have replaced the original Snow White dark ride. They are two completely different experiences. And for the folks who say it isn't "adrenaline producing", they're missing the point. It's not supposed to be a thrill ride. It's supposed to be a family ride.
I get Alien wasn't for everyone but the last thing MK needs is another gift shop to sell the same 5 Disney Parks items as the other 50.

I wonder if the world of information has a lot to do with the feelings about 7dmt. Disney hyped it as a thrilling experience and it came out that budgets and space was cut resulting in a much shorter experience. If it was marketed as a fun twist on the classic kiddie coaster and people didn't know it was meant to be more feelings might be different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter