Which restaurants to avoid when dieting

YangYang

Mouseketeer
Hi!
I'm more or less new to W.I.S.H. - posted once before. I am currently on WW. I have lost 38 lbs. but have MANY more to go.
I tend to eat out quite a bit which makes dieting something of a challenge. I actually have fun trying to pick the best places and the best menu items. Sometimes, however, I find that I have little control over these decisions. This week, I am meeting friends for lunch at O'Charley's. I went to my favorite website and looked up point values for O'Charley's and I was amazed. There is very little I can eat without using all my points for the day (and I get quite a few points!). A fried chicken salad has over 1800 calories! I used to get those and think I was eating healthy. I have finally decided on a couple of choices that will be 10-12 points but I know that there are lots of other places I could eat that would be more enjoyable. What have your experiences been, both good and bad?

When it comes to fast food Subway is almost always the best choice. It is a life-saver for me on days when I have to grab something quick but don't have many points.

As far as lowering points for that salad you might try using less dressing (that is usually what drives up the points) by doing the dipping your fork routine. You use just a fraction of the calories but you still get the flavor. Also if they have a grilled chicken version then get that or just only keep 1-2 pieces of the fried chicken and get rid of the rest. I really can't tell that much difference between a grillen chicken salad and a fried chicken salad so that doesn't make me feel deprived.

The new grilled chicken salads at McDonalds are not bad if you carefully watch the dressings.

I also really enjoy the grilled chicken sandwich at Wendy's. It has a honey mustard sauce rather than mayo and it is quite tasty and I believe it is only 6 points. I usually get it with a side salad or if I have the points I may go for a small chili.

Good luck!

Great advice!

In WDW, I would stay away from Mexico and France. Better off at Canada, America and/or UK. A plain steak is better than the sauces the other restaurants put into their entrees.

Also, Ruby Tuesday's buy us changed their menu and I did not see any lite items. Be careful.

IMO - I think Asian restaurants are the worst when you're trying to stick to your diet! Those sauces are all loaded with sugar!!

You can always order plain stir-fried meat & veggies, but then it's so bland!

I love going to Outback (or any steak restaurant) and ordering a nice big steak, or prime rib, with a salad and lots of steamed vegetables! But, of course, I'm on Atkins. I don't think you could do that on WW. But then, I have to stay away from Subway! LOL

That's kind of funny - on WW Chinese restaurants are great! Egg Drop soup (which I love) is only 1 point and chicken with stir fried veggies is something like 4 points. Also sushi is really low in points. On the other hand, I couldn't possibly have a big steak. I went to Longhorn Friday and had grilled shrimp! I have found that Applebee's has some good choices for dieters as well as Chili's. Subway is my pick for fast food although I also like Taco Bell where I get pintos'n'cheese (3 pts). I love seafood and fourtunately, it's usually low in points when grilled. I also love salads but I am discovering that there are lots of hidden points in salads and not just the dressing. I really like Subway for salads, too. You can tell them exactly what you want and I love the FF Italian dressing they have.

Denny's!!! Eating breakfast out is the WORST! I would blow all my points for the whole day on just about anything on Denny's menu.

I love Chinese, too. The egg drop soup and Broccoli Chicken are really good low points choices for WW.

My real problem is Mexican restaurants. I love good Tex-Mex, but my favorites just aren't WW-friendly. Too much beef, cheesy sauces, high fat items, and margaritas. My Tex-Mex has been relegated to only a very occasional treat, and even then I have to rein in my choices.:(

If I go to a restaurant like O'Charleys and I don't know what to get, I try to get grilled chicken with maybe a baked potato & a side salad. That's usually not too bad on points.

This doesn't apply to most of you, but living in Hawaii is a carb-nightmare! Almost everything here is served with 2 scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. Fortunatley, there are quite a few places now that will serve either macaroni or tossed salad, so what I often do is ask for no rice, and all tossed salad.

I've found that I can USUALLY make things work when I go out to eat. The only challenges are burger places (we have a few pretty good ones near where I live!), and Hawaii has a lot of places that serve ramen, which I LOVE, but are totally not allowed on my weight loss program until I reach the maintenance stage!

Originally posted by LuvTigger
This doesn't apply to most of you, but living in Hawaii is a carb-nightmare! Almost everything here is served with 2 scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad.

A classic case of taking the good WITH the bad, huh???:D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter