Which resort has the best food court (counter service)?

What an interesting topic. I think the opinions will vary as much as for which resort is best...

Our favorite resort QS is Roaring Fork at WL as long as crowds are low, but it isn't really a food court. We ate at the POP food court last trip and loved it. Next time we have to try POR though too. While it isn't a food court at all, we also really enjoyed Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD.

CSR and Captain Cook's didn't do it for us, but your experience may vary. Enjoy!

POR's food court is awesome! There are many choices to choose from and there's always plenty of tables available. Capt'n Cooks offers Tonga Toast for breakfast and Dole Whips all day long so that would be my second choice. They have limited food choices and not a lot of seats, but they do have computerized ordering which is nice. Mara at AKL is very large with a nice selection of food. Plus they sell Zebra Domes!

I was not impressed with the CS at Coronado Springs (good food but very confusing layout, plus you have to pay gratuities) or Wilderness Lodge. The Martketplace at BC is very small, but their sandwiches are tasty and they have a nice baked goods selection.

IMO, the deluxe resorts have the worst QS options. Boardwalk is the worst.

POR is our favorite resort QS. We have also eaten at Poly, Contemporary and POFQ QS. We didn't care for Poly or POFQ, and CR was tolerable.

The complaints about the gratuities at CSR always gets me. The server brings drinks and flatware to the table. Am I one of the only people who don't mind tipping people for their service? The staff at The Pepper Market are always pleasant and very helpful.
Then the layout is confusing? There are huge signs over each section that are easily read. Go to whichever section has food you want and order it. A ticket is then stamped at each area when people get their food. After the meal, the ticket is then brought to the cashier and the bill is paid. What's difficult? My daughter was 9 years old the first time we went to CSR and she had no problem understanding the concept.

Robbi said:
The complaints about the gratuities at CSR always gets me. The server brings drinks and flatware to the table. Am I one of the only people who don't mind tipping people for their service? The staff at The Pepper Market are always pleasant and very helpful.
Then the layout is confusing? There are huge signs over each section that are easily read. Go to whichever section has food you want and order it. A ticket is then stamped at each area when people get their food. After the meal, the ticket is then brought to the cashier and the bill is paid. What's difficult? My daughter was 9 years old the first time we went to CSR and she had no problem understanding the concept.

I was not complaining about having to pay a gratuity, simply stating a fact. It is the only CS that I know of in which you must pay at tip.

I'm not going to respond to your other statement...but thanks for turning this discussion of people's opinions to a personal attack.

I was not complaining about having to pay a gratuity, simply stating a fact. It is the only CS that I know of in which you must pay at tip.

I'm not going to respond to your other statement...but thanks for turning this discussion of people's opinions to a personal attack.

It was not a personal attack. I simply stated that the complaints of these things get to me. My mistake was in quoting your post. Sorry, I should have just posted my thoughts w/out the quote.

I realize that the other food courts do not require tips but then there are no servers.

Pop and POR - also if you have food allergies these are excellent choices.

now it is definitely more expensive but like Contempo Cafe is also a good choice.

I dont mind tipping but its the suggested 18-20% which is standard for bare minimum service. I am doing all the work with getting my food. No one is taking my order or bringing me my food. Why would I tip anything beyond 10%? Just like a buffet. I realize it's only a suggestion, but that part is what gets me.

Also, I manage to get my own drinks and silverware at all other food courts. I'd rather do that at PM than have someone do it for me and tip them. It seems pointless to me, and I hate that you dont have a choice.

Am I one of the only people who don't mind tipping people for their service? The staff at The Pepper Market are always pleasant and very helpful.

they are not always helpful - the waitress came took our orders and for the next hour never saw her again.

thank goodness hardily anyone else was there - and management brought the food - but no one brought the drinks.

we got our money back for her tip and the drinks - plus an apologize - then told it would work better when we came back again.

have never taken that chance again - need something to drink.

How long does it take to walk over to the food court at POR from POFQ? Does one have a better breakfast, or are they both the same?

PinkBudgie said:
How long does it take to walk over to the food court at POR from POFQ? Does one have a better breakfast, or are they both the same?

A good 10 minute walk from main building to main building. We love the beignets at FQ (only) for breakfast and only choc chip pancakes (kiddos!) at FQ. More variety all around at POR in the food court though. Nice morning stroll!

A good 10 minute walk from main building to main building. We love the beignets at FQ (only) for breakfast and only choc chip pancakes (kiddos!) at FQ. More variety all around at POR in the food court though. Nice morning stroll!

Ok, thanks. I was glad to hear people like food courts at both. It is nice to have several choices within walking distance.

Quick questions for OP:
1. How far are you willing to travel for this meal?? The reason I ask is because everyone is mostly naming places at far-off resorts and without a car it would be tough for you to get there. Not impossible, but tough. If you are renting a car, then it is no issue whatsoever.

2. Why counter-service? There are at least 6 great restaurants and 10+ total restaurants within walking distance of BC and if you're not doing a park that day, I'd try one out with the spare time.

Of course, if you're just looking for a quick, inexpensive meal, my suggestion is Picabu - Its inside the Dolphin - nice and close!
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=465

Enjoy!!

Any of the All Stars or POR. POR is the only food court that has a station where you get to pick your own pasta, sauce, and toppings. Very good! They also have a magic cookie bar that is wonderful!

AoA has the pick-your-own-pasta (& salad) station, too.

AoA is my favorite.

Coronado Springs is a big conference hotel. Lots of business people at meetings there. Thus, more "service" at meals. So tips are required. Just my take on it.

POR has more options and a much larger seating area. We have walked over to POFQ when staying at POR and found the POFQ to be very busy, and we had to eat in the lounge. Also, the walk between POR and POFQ is a good 10 minutes and in direct sunlight on blacktop. We were sweaty doing this walk in September.

Coronado Springs is a big conference hotel. Lots of business people at meetings there. Thus, more "service" at meals. So tips are required. Just my take on it.

I get the reasoning but I just wish there was a self service option at PM, besides getting it to go. Maybe a separate section or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter