Which moderate resort if you have trouble walking?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
We stayed at the Caribbean last Xmas, and both my mom and I really didn't enjoy it because of the distances between things (both have serious scoliosis which limits our stamina). Even though we were fairly close to the restaurant/pool, the paths were so windy, we felt like we walked a mile to get there! The bus stop was fairly close, but didn't want to wait for an internal bus everytime we wanted to go get something to eat. Now we're going back in Oct., and really want to stay at a moderate where the distances won't be so great. Any suggestions?

Port Orleans is smaller, and you can request buildings close to the main area. You can also ask for accomodation very close to the main buildings in Coronado Springs and Dixie Landings.

We are DVC members, so it costs much less for me to use points at Old Key West than to pay cash to stay at a moderate resort. At OKW, you can park your car right outside the door, less walking that way. Some people rent points from DVC members just to stay there, but that takes some research and a leap of faith. Boardwalk is another DVC property, most things are very close by.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I was in a cast this past August and we stayed at PO. It was a smaller resort and things were located very convenient. We stayed in building 5 on the ground floor. I faxed the hotel around 4 days before arriving to let them know that I was in a cast and would appreciate a room on a ground floor in a building that would be conveneintly located to buses, food court, and pool. They were very kind and gave us a room that was perfect.

We are members at DVC and agree with what teri had to say about it. We have also stayed at PO, DL, CBR.
The biggest and hardest to get around is CBR. PO is much smaller, but still ask for a room close to the check in area. DL has some rooms that are very close to the food court and some real far away.
¨Here's a link to pages about each WDW resort. you can get info about each one, plus a link to a map so you can get an idea about the distances.
When you make reservations, ask for first floor and close to check in/food court for "Medical Reasons". Make sure that is written on your confirmation when you get it and you should not have trouble. Also faxing your requests again, like someone else suggested, ceratinly won't hurt.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I found DxL hardest to get around...luckily we only stayed there one night...it wasnt accessible to we were moved to another resort...dont ask where...if I ever get my trip report done (fat chance LOL) You'll get the whole sordid icky story! LOL

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif

I have to agree with Wheelsie about DL. It's a nice resort, but there are some things that make it hard to get around the food court area. There are several doors that have steps and no ramp. There is a very steep ramp that goes from the check in/shop area to the restaurant and food court. We didn't have much problem, but we had a child who was not hard to push. ÿ

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter