Which Dolphin excursion location is best??

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by rescuetink, Mar 2, 2013.

1. rescuetink

rescuetink DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! W

A friend of mine is doing a DCL trip and isn't on the DIS!! (I'm trying to get her on board!!) Anyway, she's taking her kids (some older teens) on the cruise and she wants to know the best place to do a dolphin excursion!! They stop at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Costa Maya, Mexico or Cozumel, Mexico?

Thanks for the help!! We did the dolphin encounter with our two younger kids at a few of the http://www.dolphinaris.com/Default2.aspx locations!! pirate:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rescuetink

Any help???

4. Lobofan5

Lobofan5 Mouseketeer

My family did the Dolphin trainer for a day at Cozumel. My kids were 14 and 11. It was just us in the group. We got a lot of quality time with the dolphins, special time to snorkel in their cove, a ton of photo-ops and an included lunch. They provided the cab ride there and back. It took the entire day. It was pricey, but worth it.

When we were leaving they also gave us 4 extra large blue Dolphin Encounter Cozumel towels that the guide said "Only the Disney people get"..which I believe.

Be prepared to pay extra for pictures..you will want them.

Oh, there was one guy from a different ship that had signed up for this with us, so it was us 4 and him. He didn't get a blue towel.

5. scrapycruiser

scrapycruiser DIS Veteran

Our friends did the Dolphinaris in Cozumel last week and loved it ! I saw their pictures. Beautiful setting, I'd go there in a minute. Don't do the one in Costa Maya ! It's very small, right next to the port area, very unimpressive ! If you want a free dolphin show, then grab a couple lounge chairs next to the dolphins pens and enjoy. We liked the port area in Costa Maya. Clean, very nice huge pool w swim up bar. Grab a drink at SeƱor Frogs & some nachos. Didn't like the shopping. Either cheap souvenirs or expensive jewelry. Sorry, I know I'm off the op's topic.

6. KingRichard

KingRichard DIS Veteran

Push, pull and swim on Cozumel. A little pricey but she loved it. Bring extra for their Pics as they came out great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lovedmy1stcuise

lovedmy1stcuise Earning My Ears

we did push pull and swim at Cozumel Dolphin Discovery and kids (8 &10) enjoyed it, and afterwords we spend nice time at Chankanaab National Park as it's included in the price.

8. STLDisney_Freak

STLDisney_Freak I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH

We are doing Costa maya because we have other things booked in the other ports and there is nothing else we wanna do at Costa maya.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards so ignore my spelling.

9. rescuetink

Thanks all... :goodvibes

...and please keep them coming!!! :thumbsup2

10. DCLShel

DCLShel "Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in

When is your cruise? We're booked to do the dolphin swim at Costa Maya, too, and would like to hear your opinion. We sail June 8th.

11. STLDisney_Freak

STLDisney_Freak I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH

End of May

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards so ignore my spelling.

12. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

13. Docmom

Docmom Mouseketeer

We're not going until April but booked with Dolphin Cove in GC after reading some reports. They are less expensive than the DCL dolphin encounter as they have a cruise special rate. Kids 8 and under are free and they have complimentary transportation. For our family of 4 (with one DD 8) we will be saving around $200 compared to the DCL excursion. Depending on when you are going they also have an added excursion to Stingray city that wasn't a lot. Unfortunately it wasn't available for April 24th :(.

14. KingRichard

KingRichard DIS Veteran

Just read very carefully what is included.

We were going to do stingray, but bad weather canceled so we switched to Dolphin and bad weather prevented us from even going to GC.

After reading and talking with other families we found out that some of the programs put you in a pool with 30 other people and you get to touch the dolphin once or twice.