Which die cut machine do you prefer? Any Wishblade users out there???

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
I'm gonna buy one.... now I just need opinions on which one is better? Sisix or Quickutz? Has anyone bought or used this new one by Xyron that hooks up to your computer and cuts fonts from the computer? I'm wondering if it does the same with shapes? I know it's expensive, but if it does anythign from teh computer- it could save a lot of money in the long run!

Thanks!

I have a red Sizzix and a Sidekick and I like them both well enough. You can cut just about any die on the big Sizzix w/ the right attachments. I just got the sidekick on sale for $24 to have something a little less complicated for cutting letters and other sizzlet dies.

If money were no object, I would love the Wishblade. From what I understand, you can cut just about anything on it, any font, things you've scanned in, etc. My only issue with it is it isn't as portable, and as a scrapbook instructor, that's important to me.

That said, Sizzix (Ellison) has a new machine out now that is very nice, not nearly as heavy as the old one, but has a larger "footprint". That also means a whole new set of larger dies. So, if I were going for a machine now, that would be the one (it also cuts pretty much every brand of die w/ the attachments).

Graygables- have you ever used the xyron die cut machine ?

If that wishbalde does cut just about anything- then I ma really leaning towards it. Have you heard how sharp the cuts are?

I've never used the Wishblade, but I've heard it's the best thing for scrapping since acid-free paper! I understand that it's nearly laser cut precision. I thought there were some DISers who had it, so maybe they'll check in with first-hand experience (and make us ALL drool over it! ;))

I have a quickutz and I really like it. I won it so that is why I went with that one.

Any Wishblade users out there that can help me out????

There's also another machine that hooks up to your compuetr called robocut or somethign like that. It's supposed to be the exact same machine only costs less. DOes anyone know the correct name or anything about it??

YEP! That's it! But there is nowhere to order it?!?!?

I've read that this craftrobo allows you to use the fonts, clipart type stuff from your computer, butu am alsoreading that the Wishblade does not. Eveuidentally, the older model of Wishblade allows you to, but the new version does not allow you to use your fonts from the computer- you have to buy their soft ware. SO- I'm leaning towards the Craftrobo. They're both made by theame manufacturer I guess- and they do look alike.

The Wishblade and CraftRobo are the same machine -- same manufacturer, same capabilities. They run on slightly different software. I have both softwares loaded on my computer and use them for different things (one imports certain files, the other doesn't). You can get tons of info before you buy by joining the yahoo group called "WishbladeCafe" -- great info, tutorials, file sharing.

There is also the Cricut and the Xyron personal cutting machine, both of which are made to stand alone and be more portable. However, with those, you are again limited to what is on the software cards.

With the WB or CR, you can trace anything and cut it. You can cut any font any size. I am currently working on a tracing of the Animal Kingdom logo (the one with the tree of life in the background and the animal silhouettes) -- you can't do that with any of the other machines. You'd have to xacto knife it by hand... and that gets really old.

If you like doing paper piecings, the WB makes it a cinch. You just scan in an image, have another software program do the tracing for you (or trace it manually), and then cut the pieces out of your cardstock and glue together.

WB also has memory cards preloaded with fonts, images, and shapes in case you don't have time or inclination to do it yourself. But I bought my WB to save money on buying additional font sets so that doesn't appeal to me -- besides, there are plenty of free fonts on the net. There is a list on the yahoo group of the font names that correspond to current Quickutz alphas. I had a QK -- love their alphas, but I love even more that I can make LARGER cutouts because I found their mini's to be too mini.

Anyway, I could go on and on. If you have more questions, just let me know... but I highly suggest joining the yahoo group and you'll get tons of advice there!

hmm, that is very interesting! I'm hoping that they come out with something that will cut fabric as well...I wonder if this will do it? :)

I have had good luck printing on fabric when I ironed it on to freezer paper first. It goes through the printer just fine.

I would think the same would work for the Wishblade. The freezer paper would hold it in place stiffly enough to cut.

I've cut fabric that way with a Sizzix before, so I bet it would work.

MinnieAnn said:
I have had good luck printing on fabric when I ironed it on to freezer paper first. It goes through the printer just fine.

I would think the same would work for the Wishblade. The freezer paper would hold it in place stiffly enough to cut.

I've cut fabric that way with a Sizzix before, so I bet it would work.

freezer paper? i'm intrigued...

I think there's supposed to be somekind of attachment that makes it work with Macs- at least that's what I read.

Joy- Thanks for all that info! I have actually already joined taht yahoo group- but those yahoo groups are hard to figure out! It's not as obvious as it is here on the DIS! I've done a little reading and will continue. Thanks for the great info. Is the WB the only machine that will do the paper piecing? Or can the CR as well? Is it true that you cannot use fonts from the compuetr on the newer version of WB?

No, you can do TTF fonts on the WB. The new WBs come with the updated software that allows you to do so. If anything, it is EASIER now than it was when I bought mine. You simply select the font, size, and click "outline" and it will cut it. You can also stretch it like an image if you want to vary it. I have had fun making monograms -- like I will take the first letter of a name -- say Mary -- and in the long side of the M, I will insert smaller letters to spell out M A R Y cutout of the M. Matted on a contrasting piece of cardstock, this looks really cool.

You can also download free software that will make it easier and faster to trace images or connect letters and script. I purchased Adobe Illustrator and it has made making mats much easier. I think Inkscape is a free version of Illustrator. I loooooove the shadows and mats.

Anyhoo -- I really don't think you'll be disappointed, but remember that Xyron offers a 14 day money back guarantee on the WB so you can try it out for 2 weeks and see if you like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter