Which cruise ?

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
hey

I was planning a eastern or western carribean cruise for end of Jan next year and just wanted some advice on which one you would do

Am coming from Scotland and just can't decide which one. Quite like the sound of the eastern as it does have that extra sea day. But the places look really good on the western

Also what is the weather like at this time of year as I rather go to the hottest places lol

It's about -2 here right now so yeah defo the warmest one lol

Thanks for any advice given

Gary

I love the extra sea day so we prefer the Eastern - but you can't go wrong with either. Maybe check out the excursions on the different islands and see which ones interest you most.

Planning in doing a few days in Disney before it too

But I don't no what weather to expect

Is the seas normally quite calm

Can't help with end of January temps, but we were in St. Thomas and St. Maarten at the end of December one trip and it was warm - 80's. Seas are usually calm but the first night can be rough.

In January, you have a better chance of warm weather if you go Eastern. Most of the ports are farther south. We love Mexico, but the weather can be very hit-or-miss in January and Febuary. Not that USVI is a sure thing, and we did have a lot of wind on that trip last month, but I still think it's a safer bet.

Sorry; I can't help you with the weather on a Western cruise have yet to take one. We have taken a Christmas cruise (close enough to January?) that was an Eastern and the weather was perfect, shorts and t-shirt weather each day. But as we all know weather is unpredictable. We do want to take a Western cruise one of these years but we really love the extra sea day.

I do want to warn you about the Orlando weather in January. On a separate WDW only vacation, we did the first full week in January. We had TWO mornings where we woke up to temperature of about 3 C/37 F. The other days were cool start out with a jacket, shed it as the day goes on and put the jacket back on in the evening. So before you (anyone) pack(s) get on your computer, check the weather and pack appropriately. One person traveling with us didn't, brought only clothes for warm weather and had to buy clothes. We have done an August WDW/DCL vacation and I will risk the small chance of cold in winter, over the summer heat and humidity any time.

hey

I was planning a eastern or western carribean cruise for end of Jan next year and just wanted some advice on which one you would do

Am coming from Scotland and just can't decide which one. Quite like the sound of the eastern as it does have that extra sea day. But the places look really good on the western

Also what is the weather like at this time of year as I rather go to the hottest places lol

It's about -2 here right now so yeah defo the warmest one lol

Thanks for any advice given

Gary
We've done both eastern and western itineraries and both are great. I think to decide what is best for you its best to ask yourself what you're looking for. For us the eastern seemed to be the more relaxing of the two, with the extra sea day and general beach feel. I loved our western cruise because it had a more adventurous feel to it and I didn't feel quite so zen at the end.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I wish you well and hope you enjoy your cruise.

We have done both Eastern and Western and really they are both great. Weather- I have done an Eastern in December and January and the weather is 80ish. I personally love Western more but would only do an Eastern in winter months; December, January or February. The Western is North of the US Virgin Islands and it will be cooler.

So can I expect the same kind of weather on ether cruise

am leaning more towards the western one at the moment.

Would they be much cost involved with excursions on this one. We are quite happy by the beaches etc. Are they close from the port

So is the weather in Orlando quite cold in January

Last edited:
Reading older forum messages and says the seas can be quite rough this time of year. Is this true

Also need some advice on which side to be on for western cruise

I was looking at stateroom 2548

Is that the better side for when your coming into castaway cay, all the other places etc ?

I prefer the Eastern cruise because of the extra sea days. Eastern ports are typically warmer year-round than Western ones. However, the seas for my Eastern cruise were rougher than the seas on either of my Western cruises.

When we docked at Castaway Cay, we had an amazing view of the island from our starboard cabin - can't comment on the rest of the ports as our cruise was Eastern.

Aby

Really any side of the ship is great. Starboard side may get you a little more but not much.

Y o u should not expect the same kind of weather on either cruise. It will be cooler on the western. When we stop at castaway clay on the eastern it was quite cool. Water to chilly to get yet into. Cost of excursions will be about same.

I didn't notice rougher seas on either of the winter cruises we took.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter