Which Cell Phone Carries Have Good Reception in DL Parks?

dnamertz

DIS Veteran
I just inherited my first iPhone (an iPhone 5) and am I in the process of selecting a carrier. Will probably start with a month-to-month plan so I can find out which carrier I like. But, since we have a trip to Disneyland next month, I want to start with a carrier that doesn't have connection issues inside Disneyland.

Anyone have any coverage issues inside the parks using any of the major carriers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, or TMobile)? I am mainly concerned about data coverage when trying to access wait time apps. I am sure texting won't be affected.

We used to have AT&T. We now have T-Mobile. We have been happier with T-Mobile overall in the parks. I will warn you though that you will run into times when you can't access data and will have trouble using iMessage or accessing the Internet. We experienced this with both AT&T and T-Mobile on various iPhone models over the years, and this has more to do with crowds than the services themselves I believe. That half hour before the parade or fireworks or Fantasmic or World of Color when everybody is sitting around waiting, they are all using their phones to text or access the Internet, and I think the networks get temporarily overloaded. If you are there on New Year's Eve or another extremely crowded day same thing may happen at various times throughout the day. Overall though I have been pretty happy with my data connection in the parks.

I have AT&T and I think different phones seem to do better in the parks than others. Neither of the iPhones (4S) in my family have any connection (data or call) issues, but the Samsung Galaxy (albeit an older one, S3) sometimes has issues with the data connection being slow. However, as longtimedisneylurker mentioned, there does also seem to be some issues (some of the times) when there are a lot of people in the same area having not a lot to do while waiting for parades, shows, etc

The two counties closest to DLR are Orange County and LA County, between the two; 34.3% of all California residents call it home (in the two combined).

There is plenty of signal strength for most phones. I would assume if any phone has signal/data issues, it's the phone.

For some reason New Orleans Square seems to be a dead zone for my T Mobile phone. Make sure you switch 3g to 4g and vice versa if you have a bad signal. It seems to help

I have to agree with Figment it sometimes is the phone. I have sprint & have had it for many years with different phones & I agree my Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't get good reception in the parks but my previous phones with the same service worked great in the parks.

Another AT&T user here. No problems using it in DL/DCA.

I have used Verizon, TMobile and ATT. There are times during the day where getting a good data steam can be difficult, but for the most part its not too bad. Never had an issue with texting or calls. Signal strength always shows as good, but data speed can get bogged down. Had the issue mostly with Verizon. After I switched it still happens with the other 2 carrier but not as bad. TMobile as a general rule doesnt get great reception in many buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter