Which bed would be more comfortable for second adult?

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I'll be the second adult in the family stateroom traveling with my friend and I'm wondering if the murphy bed or the couch is more comfortable. Have any adults out there tried them for a night?

The couch was incredibly comfortable on the Wonder in May...although a bit short for my 5'9 self.

Are you positive you have a murphy bed in your cabin? Not all "family" staterooms have that extra bed. And to note that it will block access to the verandah when open. Both the murphy bed and the flip-over couch are standard twin size. I was fine on the couch when I tried it out one night.

Enjoy your cruise!

I went on one cruise with a friend and we decided we would rotate the bed and the couch so neither one of us would get stuck with a bad sleep. I had the couch the first night and asked not to have to take the bed, it was that comfortable. never used the murphy bed so can't speak to that but you would be fine with the couch.

Are you positive you have a murphy bed in your cabin? Not all "family" staterooms have that extra bed. And to note that it will block access to the verandah when open. Both the murphy bed and the flip-over couch are standard twin size. I was fine on the couch when I tried it out one night.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is true. There were 3 of us in our room...and there was no bunk bed/murphy bed. Just the twin couch bed. Its not a fold out, its a flip down couch. (Stores behind the backrest)

The couch takes up less room so is easier than the murphy bed and honestly is so comfy that I don't think you will have a problem.

Last time I slept on the couch, it was plenty comfy. I still slept which is more than I can say for the beds on other lines, not to be named.

I slept on the couch one cruise and it was fine; then I slept on the murphy bed the next cruise & loved it!

I thought they were both comfortable. If I had both options available and only needed to have one being used, I'd use the couch. Maybe it was our murphy bed but the slats under the mattress weren't very secure -- several of them were not in the groove so they didn't provide much support in some area and if you moved around, the other slats moved too. Also, didn't like that the Murphy bed blocked not only the verandah but some of the storage areas too.

Haven't tried the Murphy, although we have had them on 2 cruises.
I did sleep on the couch on the Fantasy......very comfy ::yes::

I have not slept in either (two of my kids did) so I cannot speak to their comfort. But having the Murphy bed down does significantly limit your access to almost half of the desk storage area. To access the drawers, you need to slightly lift the bed (it's not heavy) and to access the shelves, you need to climb on the bed. So, given a choice, I would not use the Murphy bed if I didn't have to.

Does the stateroom host put the murphy bed up during the day and then just bring it down in the evening at turn-down like they do the upper berth?
If so, I wonder if you could ask to have it let down later on (although if you have second dining, then it's not as much in the way as early dining would be).

We sailed on another line after several DCL's and were surprised when our stateroom host did not put the upper berth back up for the day nor did they reconvert the sofa bed back to sofa for the day. DCL always did, so we were surprised, and we asked our stateroom host on the other line to do that for us because we like to sit on the couch (but didn't want to sit on someone's "bed") and the upper berth was just in the way when it's down on the other line (the main bed on DCL is nearer the cabin door but on this line it was nearer the verandah). Anyway, we tipped extra on the other line because of the extra work involved for something they didn't routinely do - I love that DCL just does that.

The murphy bed was super comfy - as comfy as the regular bed, in my opinion. The couch was comfy too, much better than a sleeper sofa. But I liked the murphy bed better. YMMV.

Does the stateroom host put the murphy bed up during the day and then just bring it down in the evening at turn-down like they do the upper berth?
If so, I wonder if you could ask to have it let down later on (although if you have second dining, then it's not as much in the way as early dining would be).

We sailed on another line after several DCL's and were surprised when our stateroom host did not put the upper berth back up for the day nor did they reconvert the sofa bed back to sofa for the day. DCL always did, so we were surprised, and we asked our stateroom host on the other line to do that for us because we like to sit on the couch (but didn't want to sit on someone's "bed") and the upper berth was just in the way when it's down on the other line (the main bed on DCL is nearer the cabin door but on this line it was nearer the verandah). Anyway, we tipped extra on the other line because of the extra work involved for something they didn't routinely do - I love that DCL just does that.

We've been on three other cruise line and used the sofa once and bunk twice and they were always made up and put away every morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter