Where's the best Grand Villa in WDW?

Laurajean1014

<font color=blue>WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team<br><
We are planning a vacation with DH, DS and two sets of friends that total 12 people. We want to book a Grand Villa, but are not sure if we should stay at OKW, BWV, BCV or VWL. Since it will be in 2004, maybe even Sarasota Springs.

The children's ages are: 11, 11, 9, 9, 8, 5
3 sets of parents (44, 43, 43, 40, 38, 37)

Which resort do you think would be the best and also, if you have a room number or can specify a view, that would be very helpful. Also, which GV has is the largest? It may come in handy with all the people we'll have.

Thank you.

L

OKW certainly beats VWL and BCV, I don't think anyone can disagree.

BWV points are nearly twice as much for a smaller unit that you can't park in front of.

OKW GV is the best by far.

But, 12 people will be tight. We only stay in those units, we like to invote people so they don't have to sleep with their kids, its really not a vacation if you have to share your room with your kids.

I would tell you to look into two two bedroom units at OKW. The living room/dining area is huge, far bigger than the other resorts. You could get them pretty close to eachother and have four bedrooms. One bedroom and living room for all the kids, the parents get their own bedrooms, it costs less points and you still have a huge meeting area.

We have stayed in GVs in every area of the resort. I haven't been so thrilled with any one area or dissapointed with any one area enough to request an area or a building.

Every room at OKW is great, each building has its charm.

Request qualities that are important rather than building numbers. Water, golf, near HH, bus or pool.

I believe Richyams left out one key point: There are no Grand Villas at VWL or BCV. He is the expert as far as roominess, so I would consider his point about two two bedrooms. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

How about a one bedroom and a two bedroom? Each set of parents have their own bedroom and the kids get to use the pull out sofas! The only problem with that is their are 4 boys and 2 girls. The girls will have way more space than the boys unless we have a few stay with the parents, which they may or may not want.

The difference is: Grand Villa 372 points
1-1bedroom, 1-2 bedroom 404 points
2-2 bedroom 464 points

Do you think DVC will put a one bedroom next to a two bedroom unit?

It's whatever you're into.

To us, the BWV GV blows away Okw because of location. What's the use of having a great room, if you have to travel by car or bus to get to everything. The Vistana and Marriot resorts off of Disney property have very large rooms, but like Okw are far away from everything. Hence the parking spot in front of your room. YOU NEED IT.

It's nice to have 30 or so friends in your' room before going out for the night, knowing while you are downstairs or across the bay, your' kids are just upstairs. We usually get a GV, then about 5 or 6 rooms for friends. We meet at our place before going out. It's so nice to know we don't have to pile into 5 or 6 cars to go out for a good time. BW has the nightlife downstairs, more than one restaurant, easy access to the parks, themed pools you don't have to drive to, and so much more. It cost more points because why? it's pretty easy to figure out. To each his own, some love the Okw, others the BW, both great choices.

Try them both, until you do, you can't make a fair comparison. Some know it alls on the board try to say why there choice is so much better than the other one, but have never used the points or cash to actually stay in one. They compare them both, but haven't stayed at both. It's like someone saying a car is better than another car, but they haven't even test drove it yet. I would love to try the 3 bedroom at Vero, it looks great, but I know I don't have the knowledge to compare them to the other GVs because I haven't tried it yet. You can't go wrong with whatever resort you choose, but don't be swayed by someone's opinion who has never stayed in a GV at the BW with friends on a weekend. It's a great time.

AS for the 12 in a room, we usually do 8 to 10. Any more is pushing it, unless you want to have a camp out for the kids in the huge living room. The kids do like that once in awhile. We usually get a few more rooms for the others, so as everyone sleeps comfortable. Good luck with your choice, by the way we're staying in the BW GV in Nov, Okw GV half our trip in Feb, and the BW GV the rest of the trip. Both great choices. Enjoy!

BWV points are nearly twice as much for a smaller unit that you can't park in front of.

I'm not so sure the Grand Villas at Boardwalk are smaller than OKW --

A printout provided me from a DVC rep shows the following:
OKW 3 Bedroom Grand Villa 2,375 Square Feet
BWV 3 Bedroom Grand Villa (1 Story) 2,491 Square Feet
BWV 3 Bedroom Grand Villa (2 Story) 2,584 Square Feet

I do agree that they are more points, but they do offer a great view!!!!!!

SHAMUS

Yep, it would be hard to stay in a GV at BCV or VWL since they don't have any!! As far as BWV, or OKW, GVs. I think ALL GVs are great and have lots of room. I have not seen the 2 story GVs at BWV, but I don't care for the openess of the big livingroom/kitchen if you have anyone stayin on the hide-a-bed in the living room. At OKW the upstairs bedrooms sleep 8 and are great for seperate family units. We gave each family unit a seperate bedroom last time we stayed in a GV, and let the teenagers have the living room. The advantage OKW has here is the large bathroom just for the use of the living room guests.

We stayed in the BWV GV last January and it was awesome. The location, the views just can not be beat. However, I agree that 12 people may be a lot even for a GV. The living room is huge but there is only one pullout couch. As soon as someone wakes up in the morning, the only place they have to go is out into the living room. The alternative is to have 4 people in each bedroom which means that someone is sleeping on the floor in the MBR. Still we have had 2 2BRs and we have had the GV and you really can not go wrong with either. The 2 2BR setup favors the sleeping arrangements but when everyone is gathered in the GV room for a cocktail before heading back to the parks, it really feels special. We also thought that the Beach House at Vero was nice but IMHO it paled in comparison to the BWV GV.. Have fun deciding...Rich

Looks like Mr Yams is going to have to change the percentages somewhat in his ad nauseum quote: % larger rooms, % less dues, etc., etc.,
LMAO!:)

Originally posted by Shamus
I'm not so sure the Grand Villas at Boardwalk are smaller than OKW --

I do agree that they are more points, but they do offer a great view!!!!!!

SHAMUS

According to the DIS website, the average size of a GV at BWV is 2142 square feet. That makes sense since a GV is about the size of 6 studios and the studios average about 359 square feet. That is unless the DVC reps are counting the non-existant floorspace above the living area where it is vaulted..?

According to the DIS website, the average size of a GV at BWV is 2142 square feet. That makes sense since a GV is about the size of 6 studios and the studios average about 359 square feet. That is unless the DVC reps are counting the non-existant floorspace above the living area where it is vaulted..?

sgtdisney
The same printout provided to me lists the BWV Studio @ 412 Square Feet. 412 x 6 = 2472 which is close to the 2491 quoted.

Laurajean1014
Here are some of my thoughts which may (or may not) help you:
- All BWV GVs have a "Boardwalk View", The OKW GVs have nice Garden, Canal, and or Golf Course views.
-As mentioned 12 people may in fact be tight since 2 will need to use the couch or floor.
-OKW does have the "powder room" which is a nice bonus
-The 3rd Bedroom at BWV offers 2 queen size beds where OKW offers 2 Doubles.
-Each resort offers its own overall pluses and minuses.

Anyway I really don't want to see this turn into another one of those "My DVC is better than your DVC" threads. When it comes down to it -
All DVC Grand Villas are comparable in size and a Great Place to Stay!!!!!!

SHAMUS

The GVs at OKW are larger than the ones at BW.Someone has given wrong info.

Someone has given wrong info.
It seems as though this was printed literature that was given out to a member by DVC. Maybe someone should inform DVC that they are giving out "wrong info".
LOL. :)
I personally could care less the actual square footage of ANY of the DVC units, they are ALL very nice, but I can 't help but get a laugh over the ever re occuring size thing that ALWAYS surfaces regarding OKW vs all other DVC units. It has certainly given me a laugh on this boring Mon at work after a holiday. LOL

All DVC Grand Villas are comparable in size and a Great Place to Stay!!!!!!
My sentiments exactly! I just think if you have someone staying in the living room, the extra bath at OKW is nice. Of course, the last time we had a GV at OKW, the shower in the LR guest bath leaked, and a maintance man walked in on my poor DS, who was there showering while the rest of us were out!:o

BW has the nightlife downstairs, more than one restaurant, easy access to the parks, themed pools you don't have to drive to, and so much more. It cost more points because why? it's pretty easy to figure out.
Very good point and one that is most often poo pooed aside as insignificant when the same old %bigger rooms, % less dues litany is posted again and again, etc. LOL
It is funny that you would post this because just last week I was talking to a DVC CM regarding the BWV bus transportation and while I had her on the phone we got into a pretty lengthy conversation regarding DVC dues, the disbursement of the dues, variation of dues amounts between resorts etc. When I asked if the reason why BWV dues were 70 or 80 cents higher (whatever they are, I am not sure) over OKW was due to the much more enhanced pool, lifeguards, etc. , she literally laughed (in a nice way) and said yes the pool did account for the higher dues somewhat but mostly is was due to the much better location, etc., her excact words were: "it is a higher grade resort".
Believe me I DO NOT want to start a resort debate but it is riduculous how inevitably a post saying "OKW is the best" as a blanket statement is posted without even taking into consideration any of the factors of the traveling group, preferences, etc.

Ok, so I'm pretty much sold on the GV versus the one and two bedroom units. I like the "coming together" experience you get from a one great room.

Now it's picking which resort. I can ask the families, but that may cause confusion. I will be there in 9 days, so I can check them out myself. Maybe even take digital pics for the families to see them.

The larger the rooms the better, but layout is always important. The view at BWV is nice, but OKW has a beautiful view and a golf course. We will have 3 adult golfers and 3 children golfers. It is also much more laid back and family oriented. That in no way makes me think BWV is lacking. I love BWV's pool area.

Do the BWV's have views of Illuminations? We stayed at BWV in a one bedroom and our room gave us a great view of Epcot Illuminations (although we had to walk a mile from room to the lobby! (That's a heck of a walk when your tired, hung over or wet from the pool!

Keep the info coming.....

As for

I was just be happy if I could afford to get a GV - anywhere, anytime, any view, any parking, any size.

But if I had a choice, I would say the heck with the points, I'm going for the BWV.

Another point to the original poster - most of what I have read here on these boards say you need the 11 month window to get a GV. If you are hoping to get one at a 7 month window, it looks like that might make the choice for you.

Where do you have your points?

Originally posted by Laurajean1014

Now it's picking which resort. I can ask the families, but that may cause confusion. I will be there in 9 days, so I can check them out myself. Maybe even take digital pics for the families to see them.
Sounds like we are both having the same thoughts as I just decided on a GV and will also be there next week. Talked with MS today, the villas are booked solid. Slight chance of sneaking in to peak if you pick the perfect time Saturday or Sunday,

Maybe we should compare notes in 2 wekks:)
Sandy

Do the BWV's have views of Illuminations? We stayed at BWV in a one bedroom and our room gave us a great view of Epcot Illuminations
All the BWV GV's have a boardwalk view so yes you will be able to see something of the fireworks, obviously other GVs have better views than others but all the GV's have a much desired and coveted view.
The larger the rooms the better, but layout is always important. The view at BWV is nice, but OKW has a beautiful view and a golf course. We will have 3 adult golfers and 3 children golfers. It is also much more laid back and family oriented. That in no way makes me think BWV is lacking. I love BWV's pool area.
The size difference between the two GVs in the 2 different resorts is not significant enough to really matter; and the actuall size difference on which resorts GV is actually bigger is still a question unanswered with differing info, however, but both are very nice and very spacious.
If golfing for some of your traveling group is very important and also the more laid back atmosphere is important to your group then OKW's GV is the way to go. There is not a golf course any where as near to BWV as the one that almost completely surrounds OKW. OKW is also a definitely much more quiet and secluded, and an much more away from the action resort than any of the Epcot or MK resorts are.
Have a wonderful vacation, all of the DVC resorts are wonderful and the GVs are the crown jewels of all DVC resorts no matter where you stay! Enjoy!!!!

OKW units are significantly larger and I can say that while BW is quite convenient to Epcot, it is about the same travel time to MGM and a longer trek to Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom. I can't tell you how much I hate riding the buses which "make the rounds" between Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan, Dolphin and whatever else they decide to throw in en route. I think the Downtown Disney bus trip from BCV, instead of the delightful boat trip from OKW, involves a side trip to every bus stop in the Downtown area, as well as a water park or two. .:rolleyes:

BWV are a beautiful resort and we will stay at BWV on our next trip, which involves one evening at MK then two days at Epcot. BWV's location is perfect for our plans on that trip. On our usual trips with visits to several areas (not as focused on Epcot) it just seems to me that overall OKW is more centrally located and the direct bus service is invaluable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter