Where to stay on our first trip home?

plamp

Mouseketeer
Our OKW resale (passed ROFR) is expected to close early next week. We have not been to any of the DVC resorts. We are planning our first trip home for a 1 week stay around a school vacation week of 4/25/05-4/29/05. I have read a lot of trip reports but we are still having trouble deciding between OKW (since its home, new pool slide, bigger rooms), BCV (location and SAB) and BWV (location, Luna Park, community hall).
We are a family of 5, kids will be 6, 9 and 14, and we will be staying in a 2BR. We are leaning against switching resorts for this trip. My concerns about switching rooms is that we (esp. the kids) may just love our first stop too much and not want to leave, inconvenience of no room for an afternoon and knowing we have many future trips to enjoy other resorts. But I was still considering maybe BWV non-preferrred view S-Th, BCV Fri Sat, instead of all week at BCV to conserve a few points.

Anyway, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated, including opinions on availability.
Thanks a bunch.

Since you have the 11 month booking advantage for OKW, I'd skip your home resort for now - you'll always be able to stay there since you can book at 11 months.

I'd choose one of the others - whichever one has availability. If htere isn't availability, go for OKW. With the new slide and large rooms, you'll bound to be impressed with your purchase!

I do not think you will find any 2 bedroom standard views left at BWV, but if you do, grab one. Request an upper floor across from the bus stop. (Of course, list your smoking or non-smoking preference first). If you are lucky enough to get your request, you'll have a view of the higher level IllumiNations fireworks from your balcony and spend about the same number of points as you would at OKW.

Since the end of April is very likely to bring some nice swimming weather, BCV is an attractive option. I'd choose it (over a preferred BWV room) if there is availability. Points for BCV and preferred BWV are the same. Now if by chance, there is availability for a guaranteed Boardwalk view, I'd take that over BCV! Points are the same and the view is awesome!

You'll have a blast no matter where you end up so don't spend too much time agonizing over the choice!

Best wishes -

P.S. Congratulations and welcome home!

if you are talking about standard views at BWV - these are generally gone quick by members who own points at BWV.

so unless you are lucky - the standard views won't be availability - the preferred views are the same points as BCV, VWL

I would stay at OKW the entire time - if it was just you and your wife changing resorts can be alot of fun - but with kids the problem increase .

I thought Carol's thoughts on the subject mirror mine almost completely.

The only thing I would add....Although SAB is a great pool and well worth considering, BWV's Keister Coaster is the best pool slide around (haven't seen the new one at OKW, obviously) and Community hall is a great place to spend some time on a relaxing afternoon. With kids in the various age ranges, my guess is BWV may offer them a bit more to do and see overall....all this said...I think using Carol's analysis you cannot go wrong at all.

Welcome Home and we wish you a magical Disney experience! :)

Well, I've narrowed it down to BWV standard view (if available) and OKW. No switching resorts this trip.
Besides the BWV location, I was also attracted to community hall free entertainment, air hockey, ping pong, my kids love that stuff. Is there anything like that at OKW?

plamp, I agree with you, don't switch. That would just waste valuable vacation time IMO. Anyway, you have a lot more years to try all of the resorts. Good luck getting the ressies you want and enjoy your trip!

Originally posted by spiceycat
if you are talking about standard views at BWV - these are generally gone quick by members who own points at BWV.

so unless you are lucky - the standard views won't be availability - the preferred views are the same points as BCV, VWL

I would stay at OKW the entire time - if it was just you and your wife changing resorts can be alot of fun - but with kids the problem increase .
FIRST OFF, It's official: We are new DVC members at OKW. :)
Second, spicycat is right, no BWV standard view rooms are available for our trip dates. So that made our choice a simple and good one! Our first trip home will be to our home resort, OKW.

My situation is very similar to yours. Family of five. Kids are 14, 10 & 8.

Purely for pool purposes choose BCV. Storm-Along-Bay is awesome. My kids actually like the pool better than the theme parks!

Looking to save points? Go with Old Key West. The room size here is incredible! My kids loved it here as well, and the new slide is an added kiddie plus!

I strongly suggest that you do NOT switch resorts. I switched this past summer, staying at both SSR & BCV. By packing, switching resorts, waiting for your room to be ready, and unpacking at the next resort...I feel you really lose an entire day of your vacation. Have fun & Welcome Home.:wave:

We just got back from a great trip to OKW in a 2br. I really don't think you can go wrong there, especially with the slide being ready for your visit::yes::

There are sports at OKW; I know my DS15 went over and played basketball on their very nice courts one afternoon!

Have fun!
Lisa:sunny:

I agree with everyone else about switching (don't do it). But I don't agree about relegating OKW to second-choice status just because you'll always have the 11-month window there.

On the contrary, if OKW is going to be your "home" for the next thirty some years, consider staking it out as home turf right away. It should be your first and your favorite. Set your roots down in your home resort, and range out later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter