Where to stay in San Diego ?

OFF TO WDW!

Mouseketeer
We are going to San Diego for the first time for a couple of days before our trip to DisneyLand. Our main objective is to go to the zoo because our son wants to see the Koalas. Any other attractions on the other available day is something we have not looked into, but we would like to be near the water and close to shops and reastaurants if possible.

Edit: I remember reading something on these boards about a "gaslight" district" also.

Any suggestions on what area to stay or what hotel to stay in in that area would be appreciated!

:)

Hotel Cirlce has a lot of options, and this is just North West of the Zoo.

Down town has many options. The Convention center is on the edge of down town so they tend to be toward it. Some of these are close to trolley stations.

Also consider old town it has smaller hotels, but make sure you stay in old town not a hotel that just uses old town in the name. From here you can easily get on the Trolley.

While all of these are close to the Zoo they aren't near a beach, which might be something to do on days two. The Trolley does get you to close to a Sail Boat, Submarine, and USS Midway air craft carrier museum.

You can also take the Trolley to Petco Park(Padres) and Jack Murphy Stadium(Chargers).

If you want to be near the water you will need to drive.
I'd suggest near Pacific Beach which is quite central or out on Cornado.

Hotel Cirlce has a lot of options, and this is just North West of the Zoo.

Down town has many options. The Convention center is on the edge of down town so they tend to be toward it. Some of these are close to trolley stations.

Also consider old town it has smaller hotels, but make sure you stay in old town not a hotel that just uses old town in the name. From here you can easily get on the Trolley.

While all of these are close to the Zoo they aren't near a beach, which might be something to do on days two. The Trolley does get you to close to a Sail Boat, Submarine, and USS Midway air craft carrier museum.

You can also take the Trolley to Petco Park(Padres) and Jack Murphy Stadium(Chargers).

If you want to be near the water you will need to drive.
I'd suggest near Pacific Beach which is quite central or out on Cornado.

Thank you.

If I can ask, what is the weather like in San Diego in February? (not sure what type of clothing to pack)

Thanks again!

Thank you.

If I can ask, what is the weather like in San Diego in February? (not sure what type of clothing to pack)

Thanks again!

Cool, a little cloudy, maybe wet. I would just suggest taking a light Jacket.

We stayed at The Dana on our trip to SD last year. The rooms are a little dated, but wonderful view, pool, restaurants, and has shuttle to Sea World if you want to go there on a day (we actually walked home from park after it closed.... very close).

If you want to stay close to the "Gaslamp Quarter", the Omni is quite nice. We stayed there for a few days in 2009.

Also having a car made it easy to get around.

If you really want to go "whole hog" you could stay at the Del Coronado hotel. Supposedly the Grand Floridian was patterned after the Del.

I've stayed at several different San Diego hotels over the years and have liked all of them. I recommed the DoubleTree located on Hotel Circle. The Residence Inn also located on Hotel Circle. My favorite though is the Courtyard Marriott that's located at Liberty Station. The staff was great and upgraded me to a bigger room with a huge balcony and great view of the pool and river. It was in a great area with lots of restaurant choices. We liked walking along the pathway by the river and my DD loved playing at a great park right next door to the hotel.

Whatever you do don't stay at the Holiday Inn located near Sea World. My brother stayed there at the same time we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. Their airconditioner leaked all over the floor, they found blood on their towels, a mouse under the bed, and the hotel was just plain icky. They left the next day and cut their trip short by two days because it was so bad. Luckily they were reimburst they full amount of their stay.

If you really want to go "whole hog" you could stay at the Del Coronado hotel. Supposedly the Grand Floridian was patterned after the Del.

Second that! Still my kids' favorite vacation of all time. The hotel del coronado is super expensive and they charge for everything but it is so much fun.

DSCN4160-2.jpg

Our room view. Saltwater pool. Pacific Ocean just to the left.
DSC00137.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter