Where to stay?? Dolphin vs. Wilderness Lodge vs. POR

Mmw37

Mouseketeer
OK - so we're planning our third family trip to WDW for Jan 2017. DH, myself, DS5, and DS1.5 (at time of travel). We've stayed at *** and POR. This will be a shorter trip and we aren't planning to rent a car, so I don't want to stay at a Value for sure. The last two trips P/S/D was offered during this time period, so if we use a WDW resort we'll probably go for the package again. We liked POR quite a bit last time and utilized the boat to DS for dinner most nights, but I was thinking getting a little closer to the action would be really nice this time around. Current pricing has Dolphin and WL about even right now for our dates, but that doesn't take any promotions into account. I've been wanting to try both for quite some time, and know there may still be some construction at WL when we travel. I think we'd really enjoy the Boardwalk area and being able to walk to parks (we're very active and not big on standing in line), but still unsure since the pricing was a little higher than I expected.

As far as plans, we'll have 3.5 park days if flights aren't delayed. One MK, one Epcot, one HS, and either AK or a second Epcot (DS5 is obsessed with TT, and if I don't go twice I'm not sure if we can hit all the tier 1s). Dining is a pretty important part of our trip, and dinner is usually at a signature, so we need to have access to good places without a car or a hassle.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

If you're doing Epcot, Hs and a possible second Epcot, or have a willingness to have Hoppers for dining access, Dolphin, so long as you're aware that Dolphin will not get PSD, cannot have dining plan, and does not get magical Express.

If you're doing Epcot, Hs and a possible second Epcot, or have a willingness to have Hoppers for dining access, Dolphin, so long as you're aware that Dolphin will not get PSD, cannot have dining plan, and does not get magical Express.

I agree. With your touring plans, Dolphin is a great choice due to its proximity to EP and DHS. Just know, along with no dining plan and no DME, you also will not get the 180+10 ADR perk. You will, however, be able to make your FP+ at 60 days prior to arrival.

If you are interested in the Dolphin, I would join SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) as you can typically get steeper discounts if you are a member. The AAA discounts are also pretty good. Also, keep checking the website regularly (I have better luck with pricing at Swan/Dolphin if I go directly through their website or the SPG website). They release new discounts all the time, even up to two weeks prior to check-in. Also, consider the Swan. The rooms were just renovated and they are gorgeous.

I do think S/D (Swan, actually, but current price there is $60/night higher than Dolphin) is my first choice, but if the price stays the same it might not be able to compete with SPD. Hopefully it does come down, good to know they run specials too as we get closer. We have AAA and are both RNs, but those prices were still quite a bit higher than I'd expected.

We're 181 days out now, so the +10 is moot. Availability hasn't really been an issue for us in the past, since we don't do V and A or anything with little kids. We did the DDP last time and it was fun not having to worry about food at all, but without a discounted package we'd probably just pay OOP. I'd like to try bluezoo too, and we definitely will if we stay there.

I guess I'll just see how the pricing plays out when the trip gets a little closer! We'll have a good time wherever we stay :)

I've stayed at all three, and if you're going to go the park commando route again, I recommend the Dolphin simply due to the proximity to EPCOT and DHS. I LOVE POR and WL, but the ability to walk to two parks is priceless....

Location is great with the Dolphin/Swan. It's is a nice hotel with some great amenities. We stayed there for a convention and it's where we fell in love with the Epcot resort area.

WL is very popular and its theming is great, one of the best at the resorts. Park access is only slightly better than the moderates. You have to do the math, but with WL being a Deluxe, there is a strong chance are any room-only discount will beat P/S/D or even a free dining promotion. A lot depends on your party size and make-up. Just to compare...my RO discount at the Yacht Club later this month, even if I match the PH tickets and DxDP is still more then $300 cheaper than the FD price.

I'd say "loved by its fanbase." There's a reason they are converting half the Lodge to DVC, and it has to do with occupancy rate.

Fair enough.

I like its price range (Deluxe Light? Moderate Plus?) but have avoided booking it mostly due to transportation...I hate the WDW buses. It really sits in a odd place...Deluxe-style ammenities, Moderate-style park access. Still, it has a great theme, and many people I know head there for activities.

Fair enough.

I like its price range (Deluxe Light? Moderate Plus?) but have avoided booking it mostly due to transportation...I hate the WDW buses. It really sits in a odd place...Deluxe-style ammenities, Moderate-style park access. Still, it has a great theme, and many people I know head there for activities.
If you take the launches you can either go to the CR and hop on the monorail to get the Epcot monorail, or you can go directly to MK -- the transportation isn't all that bad from there.

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter