where to get a GOOD beer?

lorax123

DIS Veteran
I heard there's a brewpub in the Boardwalk area, any other places? By good beer, i'm sure any beer geeks/snob will know what I mean.

Also, anybody check out the selections at the local publix? i'd like to do a beer run once we get to our hotel and check in.

You'll get some good recommendations for beer on property here. I'll leave that to someone else as I'm still stinging over the disappearance of Ringnes from the Norway pavilion. This was like 15 years aqo, I guess I hold a grudge;)

As grocery stores go, Publix has a pretty reasonable selection of imports and microbrews. If you're staying on property and planning to have more than a couple of beers per day, I think a beer run would be cost effective.:earsboy:

Big River Brewery on the boardwalk has the best. The Rocket Red is my favorite there.
Places like Polynesian you can find a hawaiian beer that is good called Fire ROck
Pretty much everywhere else is the generic stuff.

Not sure if this will help or not, but my husband is insistent on dinner at Le Cellier just so he can have the Moosehead Ale. Apparently Disney is the only place you can have this outside of Canada.

Big River has 6 sample sized beers you can try. They set them up on a place mat with the description of each beer on it. DH and DS like this. They have the same 5 (I think) every time and the 6th is a seasonal brew. The food is good too.

Raglan Road at DTD. Many, many beers to choose from. Enjoy!! Oh, and the food is great there too!

Jiko at the AKL has some good African beers I enjoyed while I was there in October. I am sure they would also be available at the Victoria Falls lounge at the AKL.:drinking1

My DH is a huge beer snob (I'm talking at home he drinks beers that come in corked bottles quite a bit)! He always stops for a beer at the Rose and Crown in Epcot, so they must be pretty good.

Oh wow! Lots of good suggestions!

I definitely want to try Big River and, luckily, we have reservations at Jiko. So, I will be trying their brew. That's exciting. We stayed at AKL and they didn't have anything good at the bar above Boma.

Plus, it sounds like we will have to include the Poly on our holiday resort tour. Is their Hawain beer offered at their bar?

Ragland road was a place I wanted to make a stop at. Don't they usually get a band in their every night? I was thinking that would be something DW and I could do one night.

Doesn't the wide world of sports have a lot of taps too? I thought I heard something on the podcast about a place in DTD that had a lot of microbrews on tap.

If you mean the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk--they have pretty standard beers. Nothing special.
Paridiso 37 has a nice bar and Negra Modelo on tap.
I'm afraid that what you had at the bar above Boma is pretty much all you'll find at Jiko. Tusker is about the best selection there.

The bar at California Grill has Anchor Steam.

my husband is insistent on dinner at Le Cellier just so he can have the Moosehead Ale.

You can actually get it at the kiosk outside too. I get Moosehead in Buffalo at a lot of places - been drinking it for years and years, but I live 5 miles from the border too.

Le Cellier does serve Unibroue (la fin du monde at least) and that's worth the trip, in addition to the food.

Lots of choices at Publix, including lots of micro brews.......

I haven't had Moosehead in a long time. That's fairly common here. An older friend used to buy that for us, before we came of legal drinking age.

I do enjoy La fin du monde, too bad no LeCelliar this trip tho.

Sounds like microbrews are going to be hard to come by. At least it will make it an adventure seeking them out.

Epcot really needs a brews around the world tour. I did the wine tasting tour, that was a fun afternoon.

I was really impressed with the Publix selection. In PA you just don't find any alcohol at grocery stores. Luckily we've got a Wegmans and they opened a pub secession with a great take out area (no wine tho, unfortunately). They have a great selection of singles and for $11 you can build a mix and match six pack.

Even tho we have no intention if visiting it this trip, how is Orlando brewing company? Any good?

I haven't had Moosehead in a long time. That's fairly common here. An older friend used to buy that for us, before we came of legal drinking age.

I do enjoy La fin du monde, too bad no LeCelliar this trip tho.

Sounds like microbrews are going to be hard to come by. At least it will make it an adventure seeking them out.

Epcot really needs a brews around the world tour. I did the wine tasting tour, that was a fun afternoon.

I was really impressed with the Publix selection. In PA you just don't find any alcohol at grocery stores. Luckily we've got a Wegmans and they opened a pub secession with a great take out area (no wine tho, unfortunately). They have a great selection of singles and for $11 you can build a mix and match six pack.

Even tho we have no intention if visiting it this trip, how is Orlando brewing company? Any good?

Ugh. Such a pain posting with an iPhone. I just saw some typos on my last post.

I did check out Jikos beer selection, nothing great or unusual. Bummer!

It is available at the bar where Ohanas is. Inside on the second floor.
I am not sure if its available at the pool bar.

Oh wow! Lots of good suggestions!

Plus, it sounds like we will have to include the Poly on our holiday resort tour. Is their Hawain beer offered at their bar?

The Poly has bottles from the Kona Brewery. They've got a lager which isn't anything special, and a pale ale that isn't half bad ... it's got a bit of hops bite to it. If you're familair with Troegs, it's smiliar to (but not as good) as Hop Back.

I think you can find Wolaver's organic brews at The Wave in the Comtemp. Port Orleans and some of the other resorts have been known to have bottles of Abita Amber, Purlpe Haze, and Turbo Dog. Also, the Swan / Dolphin usually has bottles DogFish Head 60 or 90 min IPA at most of the bars.

There's nothing really unique around WDW espcially in the parks, but you're best bet is to check the bars at the premium hotels.

My DH is a huge beer snob (I'm talking at home he drinks beers that come in corked bottles quite a bit)! He always stops for a beer at the Rose and Crown in Epcot, so they must be pretty good.

While my husband wouldn't be considered a beer snob, he too loves getting beer at Rose and Crown (half Bass, half Harp) and I love getting a draft Strongbow.

Looking at everybodies location, it looks like everybody in the Philly area has a drinking problem... haha!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will definately hit Big River on this trip. I can't believe we never saw it before...

Looking at everybodies location, it looks like everybody in the Philly area has a drinking problem... haha!

If you live around Philly and like beer, you'll pretty much become a beer snob. We're living in the beer basket of North America. You've got Troegs, Weyerbacher, Victory, Stoudt's, Yards etc ... and going a little farther out there's champs like Brooklyn and Dogfish Head. Sure there's a ton of other great brewers around the country, but I think we've got the strongest concentration per capita in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter