Where To Fly Out Of? Chicago, St. Louis, Quad Cities?

Madi100

DIS Veteran
We have just relocated, and I have never flown out of this area before. Can anyone recommend a good airline or airport for this area? I'm up to driving to Chicago, Quad Cities, or St. Louis. We live about 30 minutes from the Quad Cities, and another 2 1/2 hours to Chicago. I think St. Louis is about the same at Chicago.

Madi100 said:
We have just relocated, and I have never flown out of this area before. Can anyone recommend a good airline or airport for this area? I'm up to driving to Chicago, Quad Cities, or St. Louis. We live about 30 minutes from the Quad Cities, and another 2 1/2 hours to Chicago. I think St. Louis is about the same at Chicago.

I'd say wherever you can get the best price. You'd just have to figure in the cost of your travel time to St. Louis or Chicago versus. the Quad Cities. I used to live in St. Louis and its about a 4 hour drive from St. Louis to the Quad Cities. I'd guess Chicago is closer to you.

Chicago has good airline rates via Southwest (at Midway) and Spirit (at O'Hare). Be sure to figure in parking, too, though.

Bloomington has good rates with Airtran, but it may be a drive from you. Free parking.

I would check Rockford, too. I think Rockford has cheap flights to Orlando on a limited schedule. It might be perfect for you.

Have fun!

My brother & family live in SE Iowa and are flying Air Tran out of QC. I think they got for around $200/pp/rt for June/July. They almost always fly out of QC.

American just ran a special of $171 out of ORD. I strongly prefer Midway, but for cheap rates that usually means Southwest. Midway is more convenient for parking, but if the price is right, I don't mind ORD.
Barb

Thanks. We'd really like to use the Quad Cities, becase we are so close to them. But, we aren't against driving a couple hours to save money,if it means a significant amount.

It is my experience that Southwest out of Midway is almost always about $45 per ticket cheaper than Air Tran out of Moline. Parking is cheaper at Moline. It's all about how much driving you want to do. Air Tran has 2-3 direct flights from Moline to Orlando per week.

Thanks for that information. We'll keep that in mind. Moline is about 45 minutes from us or so, and it's very appealing for flying out of there instead of dealing with Chicago. Does Southwest offer direct flights at all?

Madi100 said:
Does Southwest offer direct flights at all?

Southwest has 6 or 7 nonstop flights daily from Chicago to Orlando. Remember, according to the airlines, a direct flight will have a stop, but no change of planes. Nonstop means there is no stop at all.

Airtran's flights from Moline to Orlando all change planes in Atlanta.

Those are just some other factors to consider when choosing your departure city.

Thanks. We've always changed planes. I don't mind it all that much. It gives us a time to stretch with the kids. So, while it would be nice, I guess, it's not a huge factor. I'll keep Midway and QC in mind. Chicago scares me, not for the size of the airport, but leaving my car there and getting there.

I'll give you another option. A couple of years ago we had a group of 8 that was flying out of Midway. For a total of $250, we hired a van that took us from our house to Midway and dropped us off, then picked us up on the return flight. I can't remember the name of the van company though a simple phone book search should turn it up.

Jimdamedic said:
I'll give you another option. A couple of years ago we had a group of 8 that was flying out of Midway. For a total of $250, we hired a van that took us from our house to Midway and dropped us off, then picked us up on the return flight. I can't remember the name of the van company though a simple phone book search should turn it up.

Where did they pick you up from? We are a few hours away from Chicago.

Quad Cities. We actually flew to London. I can't remember the name of the van service but I can ask some friends that went with me.

Here's an airline that flys out of Rockford, http://www.iflytma.com/.

If you're flying out of ORD and want to park, the cheapest lot at the airport is $13/day, there's cheaper off airport lots that you might want to look for.

Madi100 said:
Thanks for that information. We'll keep that in mind. Moline is about 45 minutes from us or so, and it's very appealing for flying out of there instead of dealing with Chicago. Does Southwest offer direct flights at all?

Actually Southwest is the only airline that has multiple direct flights a day from Midway. ATA used to, but not anymore. You have to fly a turboprop to Indianapolis and connect down to Orlando from there. AirTran I believe has only one direct flight out and it is the early early morning flight at that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter