Where to eat in WDW?

Busy Busy

DIS Veteran
Hi again, we're under 8 months until we leave now, so I need to start thinking about my 'ADR's'. We will be in WDW during free dining, so I expect everywhere to be busy!

So I was wondering where everybody loves to eat in WDW? Also, do you have any first or last night traditions?

We have 2 kids, DS13 and DD 7 and are staying at POR. I would love to hear what anybody has to say. :)

Oh yes, this will be interesting as we are there not long after you, also with free dining and staying at POR!!

Hi Travel Mum, we will be at POR at the same time as you! We are heading to NYC first for 5 nights - very exciting! :yay:

We have friends who will be at POR at the same time as us, we all had plans to go to WDW and separately settled on September 2011. I have stayed at POR before (in 1997 when it was called Dixie Landings), so it was easy to choose where to stay this time. Our friends had no idea where to stay, and after a 4 minute chat while we sat at dancing one afternoon they decided to go to POR too (although they probably would have ended up there anyway because they have 3 kids!)

We plan to do a few things together, but this is mainly going to be the 4 of us having our amazing holiday. Although, I can imagine that all of us will end up by the pool together A LOT!!

So, I have my ideas about where to eat, but am really excited to hear everybody's favourites!

Charaters
1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian) - both breakfast and dinner
Tusker House (Animal Kingdom) - 8:05am on non-early entry day
Crystal Palace (Magic Kingdom) - 8:05am on non-early entry day
Cape May Cafe (Beach Club) - breakfast
Garden Grill (Epcot - The Land) - dinner

Parks
Tutto Italia & Via Napoli (Epcot - Italy) - lunch or dinner
Yak & Yeti (Animal Kingdom) - lunch
Rose & Crown (Epcot - UK) - dinner for Illuminations
Biergarten (Epcot - Germany) - the show is a bonus
Coral Reef (Epcot - The Seas) - lunch

Others
Boma (Animal Kingdom) - either breakfast or dinner

As we seem to stay at WL we always have our first meal at Artist Point. The food and service is superb.

As for where to eat depends on what type of food you and your children like. Our eldest DD is a fussy eater but managed to find something everywhere.

Some of our favourites are:

Artist Point
Flying Fish
Teppan Edo
Yachtsman Steakhouse

Some of our favourites for fun dining:

Hoop Dee Doo
Whispering Canyon

Character Meals:

Tusker House breakfast (Mickey, Goofy etc)
Cinderella's Royal Table (All the princesses and fairy god mother)
Crystal Palace (Winnie the Pooh characters)

Parks:
MK - Crystal Palace
Epcot - Anything in world showcase except Akershus (Didn't like it at all)
DHS - Brown Derby
AK - Tusker House or for counter meal Flaming Tree (Loved the ribs)

Adults only - Victoria and Albert was a once in a lifetime meal but pricey

I hope you don't mind me chimming in even thou im from the states. S'times I lurk on other boards and like to see what everyone is chatting about. I was in WDW last Aug and I have some great ideals for you and your family. Hopefully I will help busy busy and travel mum in some great places to eat. Ready, here goes!

MK

Columbia Harbor House-CS-this is a great place, with great food. Chicken nuggets and fries are very good. My niece loved this place. Best CS place in MK imo.

Pecos Bill-CS-great selection of food for a CS. Good chilli, not too hot.

Liberty Tree Tavern-TS-We ate there when it was a character meal. Sadly it is not anymore. Food was great and very fresh. Very yummy, to say the least.

DHS

no comment buy stay away from Hollywood and Vine. Bad food!

AK

Restarosaurus-CS-Ok I butchered the name but I am sure you knew what I meant. Good Burgers for the most part. Cm's were super nice there too.

Epcot

Sommerfest-CS-Germany-If you like good pretzels and brats, this is the place to go.

Rose and Crown Pub-TS-UK-Awesome food again. Atmosphere was quite nice. Had the lamb there and it was very good.

Garden Grill-TS-Also a character meal. The restaorant moves slowly in a circle. My brother didn't figure it out til we were done. Food was good, better then I thought it would be. Very fresh and good to eat.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall-Norway-This is a character meal with all the princesses. My niece loved it. If you have a little girl who loves princesses, this is the place to eat. Food was very good as was the cm's.

Chef Mickey's-Contemporary-Buffet-We went there our first day at for lunch, since it was offered ad it blew my mind away how awesome the food and service was. It's a character meal as well. We had heard terrible stories that the food was lousy, but that wasn't the case. This by far was my fav place to eat in our last trip.

Cape May-Beach Club-Buffet style for dinner and breakfast. We went there for both dinner and breakfast. Of course breakfast is a character meal. Service was great both times. Food was wonderful. Breakfast had proble the biggest variety of food offered more then any place I have eaten at wdw. Dinner is a clam bake but if you are a non fish eater like me no worries. They have other good stuff/food to offer.

Ohana-Polynesian-TS-More or less they bring the food to you, family style. It is a character meal and food was good and it was great to see Stitch.

Whispering Canyon Cafe-Wilderness Lodge-TS-We stayed there both times, so made sense to eat there. Food was ok but the atmosphere is to die for. Can't say enough about the waiter. He was terrific.

I hope this helps you out and let me know if you need any more. Just pm me if need be. Just make sure you have fun...and eat well of course.

Just bumped a couple of "old" threads up in the Aussie section regarding WDW dining and info. It may help to see what the preferences were last year...:)

On this past trip our favourites were:
Epcot: San Angel Inn (Favourite meal of our stay for DH & myself, DD15 ok but not really fussed on Mexican)
Tutto Italia good food and not overly large portions.

DHS-Mama Melrose (ate there twice). Food was really good both times.

DD15 her favourite was Wolfgang Puck at DTD

We also ate ate Chef Mickey's -food pretty ordinary but good character interaction.

Yak & Yetti also quite good
Also had breakfast at Kona Kafe which was quite nice but way too much food
Breakfast Buffet at Fort Wilderness was much like Chef Mickey's food wise but if I wasn't looking for character interaction I'd take it over Chef Mickey's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter