where is your favorite non-Disney couples destination?

Discussion in 'Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers' started by KelseyLaPerle, Aug 27, 2012.

1. KelseyLaPerle

KelseyLaPerle Mouseketeer

DH and I are planning a trip for our 10 year anniversary next year. We honeymooned at Disney and have thought about returning (without the kids), but we just got home from 8 days there and at this point we're thinking of trying a new place.

We originally thought of an island all inclusive (think Sandals, etc) type of thing and we're now thinking about something a bit more adventurous.

We'd ultimately like to be gone for less than a week and travel for less than an entire day. We live in VT and could fly out from here, Manchester NH or Boston.

I'm up for any and all ideas - we have almost a whole year to plan and I want to make this a stellar trip!

Thanks, Disney friends!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. vettegirl

vettegirl Dole Whip Queen

4. ludari

ludari DIS Veteran

Spain. I spent a week in Barcelona before a Disney Cruise and I didn't want to leave. I am already planning my next trip to Spain for a longer visit.

5. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

DW and I choose to go to Treasure Island over on the West Coast of FL.

6. disneyfreak71

disneyfreak71 Even Stewie Knows......GO STEELERS!

Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key is beautiful. They have Lanai rooms that walk right out to the adult only pool where you can get drinks served poolside. It is not all inclusive but they offer great deals. We flew into Ft Lauderdale and it is an easy drive. It is in the middle of the Keys so there endless things to do.

7. zanzibar138

zanzibar138 DIS Veteran

DH and I went to Vietnam as part of our honeymoon and loved it! It hasn't been taken over by the masses yet We were especially blown away by our resort in Nha Trang. Might be a bit far from the US, but you said you wanted something adventurous ;)

Once you get there, it is dirt cheap. Our luxury ocean front villa with its own private pool was only USD $240 per night. That's more than I would usually be willing to spend on a hotel room, but for such luxury in paradise we could still afford to splash out a little! We could also afford to do the upmarket tours from the hotel.

You could still find somewhere really nice to stay if you were on more of a budget :thumbsup2

If you wanted to be REALLY adventurous, we also went to and loved Africa! Victoria Falls was amazing and we saw heaps of awesome wildlife. Can you tell we're not the 'lie on a beach looking at each other' type people? :rotfl:

Check out my HK Disneyland TR for ideas if you're interested.

8. ChadsGirl

ChadsGirl Mouseketeer

How about a (non-Disney) Caribbean cruise? DH and I did one for our honeymoon and loved it! There are tons of itineraries that are less than a week, and being from the East Coast you could get there on a fairly quick flight. We took Royal Caribbean and flew into San Juan, Puerto Rico. DH doesn't have the patience to sit on a beach all day so it was perfect for us. You can book excursions at the various ports, or stay on the ship if you choose. If budget allows, book a cabin with a balcony. It feels very secluded and romantic!

9. VbChristy

VbChristy DIS Veteran

My favorite non-Disney trip is cruising. And my current favorite line for guest service, quality of food, and value is Celebrity cruise line.

10. DakotaRose

DakotaRose Mouseketeer

Las Vegas, Baby! :thumbsup2

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg DIS Veteran

How adventurous are we talking? What time of year? Maybe a trip out west?
    Fly into kasipell, MT and spend 3 days in Glacier National park. You can even hike out to one of the rustic lodges where everything is brought in by pack mule.
    Then drive down to Yellowstone and spend the rest of the time around there and fly back out of Boisman, MT.

Have you seen DC? You could do the tourist thing around here and take a cruise out of Baltimore to Bermuda.

12. MissMet

MissMet DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blo

We did a 4 day stay in Dublin before our cruise out of Spain & it was amazing. We didn't want to leave. Everyone is so nice & speak the language...kinda. :p We liked it MUCH better than Barcelona.

I highly recommend Ireland!!!

13. Seany

Seany Earning My Ears

DW and I honeymooned in The Maldives ... Stunning and beautiful islands, literally awesome sunsets, friendly people, delicious food ... and it will al be gone in 30 years they reckon.

I can't recommend Maldives enough.

14. Leota

Leota DIS Veteran

We honeymooned in New Orleans. I just love that city. It's very romantic. The food, music, culture, architechture :cloud9: And you could be there in what, 3 hours? :thumbsup2

15. glaserjm

glaserjm DIS Veteran

DH and I did our honeymoon on the Pacific Coast in Playa Nosara, Costa Rica. It was stunning and laid back. We rented a casita from an American ex-pat who owned a hillside ranch and so had our own private cottage for like $500 for the week..it was so inexpensive. I would highly recommend the area, it is totally romantic.

16. Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo Dis Veteran

I would suggest you take another look at all inclusives, specifically Riviera Maya, as there are tons of excursion options, from swimming with dolphins, touring ancient Mayan ruins, zipline and ATV tours. You could have the best of both worlds, and mix a couple excursions with some relaxing down time.

17. tygrrlily

tygrrlily Earning My Ears

If you are into adventure and nature, Costa Rica is wonderful. My bf and I spent almost 2 weeks there last year and found it had a great mix of adventure (hiking, rapelling, rafting, ziplining) and nature (beaches, rainforests, animals). The trip was very active but romantic at the same time

18. Karabee

Karabee DIS Veteran

Soooooo many choices!! For foreign I pick Italy anytime. For USA - Chicago. Such a friendly, beautiful city.

19. nurse.darcy

nurse.darcy DIS Veteran

Luis, I am with you. Spain is a wonderful country. I love it there. I spend tons of time in Mallorca and Menorca my last two trips there. Can't wait to go back.

20. Lil Lil

Lil Lil DIS Veteran

Hawaii!!! :goodvibes

21. DVC Kelly

DVC Kelly Mouseketeer Approved Advertiser

DH and I went to an all inclusive in Punta Cana and loved it. The beach was pure white sand! :cheer2: