Where does the food come from on Med cruises?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by clairedy6, Jun 23, 2013.

1. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

During previous years, they did have Mickey Bars at the beginning of the season. At some point they used them all up and had to start serving regular ice cream bars acquired in Europe.

On our WBTA in 2010, we didn't have Mickey bars until we got back to the Caribbean (where they could re-supply with a Disney provider).

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. debsters41

debsters41 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the answers, I hope I did not hijack the thread. I am resigning myself to the fact that being on the last cruise of the season that I will not have anything from America, but instead have chocolate croissants, etc, which I grew sick of years ago!:rolleyes1:lmao: The grass is always greener on the other side of the pond!:laughing:

4. Stimpy

Stimpy <font color=red>Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says

Our servers called them European Mickey bars on the Baltic...we've been calling them that ever since :)

5. KingRichard

KingRichard DIS Veteran

The Galley!:thumbsup2

Did I win?:rotfl2:

6. slindamood

slindamood DIS Veteran

On our WBTA several years ago, the biggest difference was the quality of cheese (already noted) and the abundance of fresh berries. Bowls of raspberries and blackberries at Topsiders each morning for the first part of the cruise. Then, berry cobblers appeared, followed by a few days of no berries at all.

At that time they bought local produce. We enjoyed watching all of the food being loaded, as the earlier photo shows. The main complaint then was the quality of the pancakes. The supplier in Europe provided a mix more like cake mix and the pancakes were strange. I assume they use U.S. mixes now.

7. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

They won't have them as they only have two suppliers for them one in florida and one in California, and flying them over to europe isn't a feasible option.

8. nxb

nxb Earning My Ears

Yes they did have Mickey Bars on the June 15 Med cruise. We asked for them for dessert in the main restaurants after dinner and they appeared.

Talking to the Palo chef, we gathered that they do get a lot of their ingredients from their US based suppliers. For instance, he said the lamb they served at Palo came from their usual Colorado supplier.

Fresh ingredients are picked up locally apparently. As a case in point, the small milk cartons they offer at Topsiders are from Europe.

9. tea for girls

tea for girls Mouseketeer

When we traveled on the 2010 WBTA the food was its normal Disney quality. We did notice some small differences- things like European yogurt. The only two negatives were my daughters missed the Mickey ice cream bars and there wasn't any lobster on that trip-both items had been highly anticipated during our 14 day cruise.

10. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

not all things can be transported as easily as others. Just because they can get meats from the same supplier doesn't mean they can get Mickey Bars. If not having Mickey Bars on your cruise will "ruin your vacation" then just be careful with the med cruises later in the summer when the stocks they have on board from the TA run out.

11. heatherbelle

heatherbelle DIS Veteran

The ice cream bars in Europe are far nicer than the US. But being a Brit I would say that. American Mickey bars have plain chocolate on them and are not very sweet. Most Europe choc ice types of ice cream have milk chocolate on them.
    Onshore look out for snicker ice cream bars, those are very nice.

If anyone gets chance when you are in Spain look out for melon ice lollies you guys might call them ices, they are delicious.