Where do you stay the night before a cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by nancy drew, Oct 7, 2012.

1. nancy drew

nancy drew DIS Veteran

Just trying to figure out where we should stay the night before our cruise. I don't know what is the most cost-effective. Do we stay near the airport and take DCL transportation? Stay near the port, and if so how do we get there and is it cost-effective? What is the best way to do this?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

Have you read the FAQ sticky thread? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966
    If not you can look under HOTELS to find info on hotels hear the port and near the airport. You can also find info on car rentals and Car Services/Private Transfers.

Also, there are several threads within the first 3 of 4 pages of the DCL boards discussing hotels and transfers.

It would be helpful if you gave a bit more info on the make up of your travel party and if you are willing to drive a rental car or do you want to leave the driving to others.

You were also given very good info by kcashner on your other thread about hidden costs/transfers.

4. IrishCowboy

IrishCowboy DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

Most of the time, we stay at Embassy Suites near Orlando airport. I use my Hilton miles and get a free room. Nice hotel, great staff and love the Manager's Reception and the fantastic breakfast buffet.

We do one-way car rentals, usually with Avis.

We'll be there this Friday! :cool1:

5. nancy drew

nancy drew DIS Veteran

Thanks, and I apologize if I am asking redundant questions. I'm new to cruising and am trying to wrap my head around the whole experience. I looked at the first page in this forum and did not see anything related to this topic. I'm not new to Disboards, and I know how annoying repetitive questions are, and I can easily advise anyone on Disneyland or quick trips to WDW but I also know that Dis people are awesome at helping each other out in new territory. :goodvibes

My traveling party is explained in my signature: myself and my kids. We are flying in, and would rather not rent a car unless it really is the cheapest option.

Anyone know if the Nickelodeon Hotel has a cruise shuttle?

6. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Well, for us it depends on our transportation plans. Since we commonly come in after work/school, we usually stay in the MCO area. I can get a 2.5* hotel on Priceline for a bid of under $39, with taxes and fees that is under $50. At that level, the hotels all include breakfast and a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO. For 2 of us, DCL transportation is as cost effective as anything.

There are a couple of hotels near the airport that offer transportation to/from the cruise terminal. The Hyatt Place Northwest has this package--prices vary by dates, but the price is the same for 1-4 people. It includes transportation from airport to hotel, stay, breakfast, transportation to cruise terminal, and return to airport after cruise. This is honestly one of my favorite hotels. GREAT breakfast and walking distance from TGI Friday's for dinner. Also, the shuttle driver offered to take use somewhere else for dinner if he wasn't busy with airport runs.

The Wyngate has a similar but more costly package.

7. davidls

davidls DIS Veteran

My DW and I like to stay at WDW a day or two before the cruise. We feel like we get into the vacation mode faster this way. Plus we love to be at WDW every chance we can. We live in Florida so it is a short drive for us. Then the day of the cruise we drive over to the port. But Disney has excellent transfers from WDW to the port, you could rent a town car that I believe may be a little cheaper then Disney's transfers. There are many options to choose from to get from WDW to the port. Have a great time on your cruise!!!:thumbsup2

8. cruisecrasher

cruisecrasher DIS Veteran

As for cost effective, it depends how many people are going. If there're only two its hard to beat the DCL transportation. If more, then a rental or town car may be more cost effective, but at the cost of time.

9. stmize

stmize Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 1

We stay at Wdw too.

10. rthomasson

rthomasson Earning My Ears

We are staying at WDW and using DCL Transfers.
    :wizard:

11. GrumpyBelle

GrumpyBelle DIS Veteran

Depends on how far in advance we can arrive...Either one of the DW resorts or Hyatt MCO.