Where do you stand on the "Wonderful Christmastime" issue

Do you like "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney?

• Yes

• No

• I've never heard it/Don't know

• Other (because there always has to be an other)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
Paul McCartney's "classic" song, that is. Many think it's dreck, others like it, others think it's dreck but like it for the nostalgic value.

What say you?

Love it! It's fun! :santa: It's Paul McCartney! I would probably hate a remake of this song by another artist though.

Yes, I like it!

Funny how people keep saying it is an awful song; yet it gets constantly played
every year!

No problem with it.
But I don't want it or
ANY
Christmas songs for another 2 weeks.

I voted yes, reluctantly. A musical dweeb. Some basic notes, repeated endlessly. The lyrics are Simply, Simply, Simply [moronic].
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong

Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong​
It has holiday stylin', so it fits in with the seasonal "sound of muzak." Then it should be buried deep in the attic until next December.

Love the music. It is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, Paul McCartney supplied the lyrics. When he teamed up with John Lennon, those two came up with amazing songs. Left on his own... well, let's just say Paul didn't really have John's gift for lyrics. Everyone know the Beatles song Yesterday? Are you aware that Paul's lyrics went, "Scrambled eggs. Baby how I love your legs." John stepped in and changed the lyrics to "Yesterday love was such an easy game to play." Wonderful Christmastime really needs some Lennon lyrics. :(

If he hadn't written 'Yesterday" "Wonderful Christmastime" would be an unpardonable crime.

It is weak, words sound like something a toddler makes up, and the tune is insanely basic and dull...and then there is the production, with the casio keyboard.

Had ANYONE ELSE written this song, it would never have gotten airplay, and would be forgotten. I suppose he wrote this very quickly after seeing how popular John's Christmas song was...and there is absolutely no comparing the two, "Happy Christmas" is a true classic...even Yoko's catterwalling on it doesn't kill it.

Love the music. It is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, Paul McCartney supplied the lyrics. When he teamed up with John Lennon, those two came up with amazing songs. Left on his own... well, let's just say Paul didn't really have John's gift for lyrics. Everyone know the Beatles song Yesterday? Are you aware that Paul's lyrics went, "Scrambled eggs. Baby how I love your legs." John stepped in and changed the lyrics to "Yesterday love was such an easy game to play." Wonderful Christmastime really needs some Lennon lyrics. :(

Come on, that's not fair. The "scrambled eggs" bit was a place holder, and a joke. Yesterday's lyrics were 100% written by Paul. It always bothered Lennon that people thought he had anything to do with the song, because he didn't.

"I remember mulling over the tune 'Yesterday', and suddenly getting these little one-word openings to the verse. I started to develop the idea ... da-da da, yes-ter-day, sud-den-ly, fun-il-ly, mer-il-ly and Yes-ter-day, that's good. All my troubles seemed so far away. It's easy to rhyme those a's: say, nay, today, away, play, stay, there's a lot of rhymes and those fall in quite easily, so I gradually pieced it together from that journey. Sud-den-ly, and 'b' again, another easy rhyme: e, me, tree, flea, we, and I had the basis of it."[12]

Lennon later indicated that the song had been around for a while before: "The song was around for months and months before we finally completed it. Every time we got together to write songs for a recording session, this one would come up. We almost had it finished. Paul wrote nearly all of it, but we just couldn't find the right title. We called it 'Scrambled Eggs' and it became a joke between us. We made up our minds that only a one-word title would suit, we just couldn't find the right one. Then one morning Paul woke up and the song and the title were both there, completed. I was sorry in a way, we'd had so many laughs about it."[11]

John Lennon, who liked the song, was bothered by the lyrics' lack of resolution; he was also bothered for the rest of his life by fans who thought he'd cowritten it (as the credits insist) and would sing it whenever they saw him. He was known to mock the song in the studio during his solo years. ("I'm not half the man I used to be... now I'm an amputee.")

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter