Where did you stay before you bought DVC?

anniet

DIS Veteran
For many years we stayed mostly offsite with an occasional onsite stay at a WDW Resort. Usually CBR or CSR.

But I was thinking I'm the exception not the rule and that most DVC members probably stayed onsite most of the time prior to purchasing.

So where did you stay before you purchased....WDW Resorts or offsite?

AllStar Movies twice and All Star Music once

Our last AS vacation in 2000 the pop werner kids were there and they were out of control - each morning when I would walk up to the food court to get coffee - there was a lot of trash - in fountains on bushes - the two straws that pushed us to DVC were
1. we arrived back from the parks one evening and the kids wanted to go swimming - so we suited up and when we arrived at the pool in each corner there were the adults that I assummed were there to watch the kids - in each corner with cases of beer - not watching the out of control kids -
2. The morning I walked up to get coffee and saw a little court yard area fountain filled with empty paper cups and the small trees covered in tiolet paper.

I don't blame the kids at all - I blame the "adults" that were supposed to be watching them - pitiful!

We stayed at the Beach Club, that is why buying at the BCV was a no brainer for us.

Either the Polynesian or the Villas in Downtown Disney (Disney Institute.)

1996 All Star Music
2001 Wilderness Lodge - then we bought DVC
2002 PO/FQ after buying into DVC but dont ask for details

WE stayed offsite at a Days Inn or something, and swore if we were doing Disney, we would never stay off site again, We stayed at Vistana and just did a day at Disney (that is a great resort, but once you buy in, your investment drops to almost half its worth!!!!) Then we have stayed at the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge and the Cabins at the Campground, which was fun, but found the busses to be a pain, but that could also be because I was 8 months pregnant and we had downpours the entire stay!!!! We stayed at Vero a few times and thats how I started to really consider DVC, then bought resale just prior to a stay at OKW on rented points, and that confirmed our decision with my hubby!!!

Pre-DVC, I stayed at the Poly, CR, GF, BC, BWV, Disney's Village Resort (became DI), and WL. I came to the point where I realized how much $ I was spending for a hotel room on each trip :rolleyes: and seriously looked at DVC--I discovered I could have been directing all that $ toward points. That's when I joined. :D

We stayed offsite 1st time. I was fine and content and thought it was close and convenient(didn't feel any need to stay onsite).

The second time we stayed at CBR. It was an unplanned trip. My son saw the big postcard that came in the mail with a discount rate for Disney's moderate resorts. He said, "Mom, is this a good price?" I said, "Yeah, it really is." He said, "Do you think we could go to Disney again and stay there?" I said, "Go ask your father (thinking he would say no)." Well, he said, "Go ask your mother." Of course I said yes (we used some of the money we were going to remodel our bathroom with-the bathroom could wait).

After staying at CBR, I decided then and there that I would only stay in Disney from then forward (there really is something magical about staying onsite). We toured DVC while there our last day and decided to buy 2 or 3 weeks later. This June will be our 3rd time time at Disney, but our 1st time at DVC. Can't wait!:Pinkbounc

Sheri

Pre-DVC stayed off-site twice; stayed on site all the rest; have stayed at every place on site except AKL, YC and AS; note that includes staying at the Shades of Green when it was the Golf Resort and then the Disney Inn.

1st time was in a house in Kissimee, a very long 30 minute drive away with plenty of tolls each way, AND I made my poor sister sit through a 2 hour timeshare spiel to get it at a discount. I never wanted to stay offsite again. Since then we've stay at Shades of Green, Poly, and Contemp. Took the DVC tour on the final day of that last trip and loved the idea of a 1 or 2 bedroom! Talked ourselves into it before we reached the airport!

Let's see - Contemporary, Ft. Wilderness cabins, Carribean Beach, Port Orleans, and Dixie Landings (before the name change). Only once offsite and I swore never again. Since I joined DVC, Beach Club (before there were villas), All Star Sports (couldn't beat the room rate), Boardwalk (my home) and Old Key West and one of these days, the Grand Floridian.

Cyn

In the 25 years I have been going to WDW, I have stayed at all resorts but the AKL and GF. Beach club rules, esspecially if you have children.:smooth:

Without going back to my youth and pre marriange; we stayed at:
ASMu 96
ASMu 98
ASMo 00

Then DW and I stayed at the Contemporary in 2000, on a business trip, and we loved more uspscale accomodations and the proximity to a park. That convinced us to sit with the DVC guide.

Then we stayed at BWV on another business trip in June 2002 and I pushed her hard to sit with the guide again.

Based on the accomodations, and the other features, and our friends really encouraging us, we decided to take the jump in September 2002.

I think the AS's are a great start for on-site.

We stayed mostly at The Poly, but we through in an occasional Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. We really like the resorts that lend themselves to heavier themeing.
Funny thing is, now my favorite resort (DVC or otherwise) is VWL.
I guess it worked out for us! :cool:

disclaimer: I am not home, and do not have my dictionary by my side, so please excuse my spelling!

Stayed at POR (2rms.), FW,(2 cabins), Poly (2 rms.) ,WL (3rms), two yrs in a row...good grief....DH said "Lets check out this DVC" ..all that $$$ on hotels....love our BWV...

Started out at Ft. Wilderness (first a tent, then a pop-up, then a travel trailer!). Moved up to DxL, CSR, Contempo, then DVC!

Our first visit was off site, the whole trip was a prize in a free draw. Our other three trips we have stayed at All Star Movies. On our last trip we saw DVC and really wanted to buy. Completed on a resale at OKW at the end of December (after all the helpful advice on these boards) :) and looking forward to our first trip home in 2004. Using points at DLP this year.

Dixie Landings (95)
Port Orleans (97)
Wilderness Lodge (98)
Boardwalk Inn (99)

We toured DVC (Old Key West) during our first trip, but couldn't afford it.
During our trip to the Boardwalk Inn, my DH said "Either we buy DVC or we don't come back."
Boy did he make that decision hard! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!