Where are the life jackets?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by triptaker, Jul 19, 2006.

1. triptaker

triptaker Mouseketeer

After reading about the mishap yesterday to the crown princess (I think that is the ship), I was wonderiing - are there life jackets anywhere but your room? It might be hard to get back to your room if there really is an emergency and you really do need them.... We do our first cruise Sunday, and now I'm a little worried.

triptaker

2. aprilgail2

aprilgail2 Guest

Thats a good question..I THINK there were bins on deck that had them in it also but not positive. I saw a man being interview that was on that princess ship and he said he was in a panic because his kids were on a different deck than he was at the time and he coldn't get to them so I am sure there must be life vests elsewhere, like in the kids club for the kids there to use if the need arises since their parents may not be able to get to them!

3. DrCavin

DrCavin DIS Veteran

That is where they are stored - stateroom closet. They may have a few stored on deck 4, but not enough for everyone. Yesterdays event was pretty scarey, but remember that the cruise lines do everything they can for safety of their passengers, DCL is no exception. I thought I read that the ship yesterday did not even sound the alarm for people to go to the lifeboats.

What I always wondered was how frantic it would be IF the alarm to go to your station sounded & all the parents running to get their kids. I really wouldn't want to even be a part of that, no matter what kind of planning DCL has in place, that would have to be pure crazy!!!

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. RCBA

RCBA Dreaming of Castaway Cay

I saw several lifejacket stations around the decks last month on the Magic.

6. markey

markey DIS Veteran

There are lifejackets on deck 4 and probably other places we don't see. I do have one comment on yesterday's not sounding the alarm. Once the ship was righted the emergency of turning over, sinking, etc. was probably over. Sounding an alarm would have cause more harm then good. Can you think of the injured people trying to get to a lifeboat station? All the people who were able to take care of themselves would have then gone into another panic mode. I think the right thing was done. First to see the damage, see if the ship was able to sail, and then think about getting the people to the life boat stations if necessary. Remember the ship was only 11.5 miles out. The coast guard and other ships could be there in a matter of minutes.

7. cjsmith

cjsmith <font color=green>We can head over there together

The crew will be there to hand out life jackets as needed just like they did at 3:30 am the night of our fire. There were those people who weren't in their cabins, forgot to grab them, or crawled along the ground to get out and couldn't reach the lifejackets on the top shelf of their closets. The crew had plenty of extra jackets to go around and they made sure that all had one. Don't worry about finding them, just ask a crew member.

One thing that everyone should remember, do not put them on and head to your muster station. Some people were busy trying to do this while going down the stairs and hallways as the crew was busy telling all of us to wait until we got safely to our muster stations.

8. Par8hed

Par8hed DIS Veteran

I recommend 2 Bahama Mamas and a Xanax.

9. Lindy Loo

Lindy Loo DIS Veteran

If your child is in a kids club, do they get them to the muster point, or do we have to go to the club. I really need to know about this, cos Im now worrying about if we had to get off the boat, or their was an emergency, what should I do first, get the life jackets in the stateroom or get to the club. I think I would in a panic naturally go to the club first, but then thats no good to my DD, if I dont have a life vest for her.

10. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

Too funny!

Woody

11. markey

markey DIS Veteran

At the kids club you are asked for an emergency meeting place. Know this would be difficult for smaller children, so not actually sure how this would happen, also if that the child was not able to go to that place, luckly nothing has ever happened while we cruised. We always take our grandkids and last night as my daughter and I were talking about the Princess ship she said " You knows anything can happen at anytime anyplace and we cannot always dwell on the bad things and just have to enjoy life." Of course she is a Marine and is trained to realize a lot of bad things can happen to them. So I guess we have to have faith in DCL and higher powers that if we do everything we can to protect our children and plan that things will work out.

12. Each child's life boat station (muster station) is listed on their bracelet that they get from programming.

13. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

In three cruises we have never been asked for an emergency meeting place or to make those plans with our kids. Our kids are too young to check themselves out of the club to meet us anywhere.

14. thomprod

thomprod DIS Veteran

I agree, Lisa. In our three DCL cruises, no one has asked for a meeting place for our kids either. They did announce during the lifeboat drill that there are extra lifejackets in both adult and children's sizes on deck 4 in the wooden cabinets against the inside wall, so you don't have to go back to your cabin to get yours if you are closer to your muster station in a real emergency. If you have time to get the ones from your cabin, you should because they are marked with your cabin number, making it easier to identify you, I guess.

Seems like there should be a plan on how to get children from the Club or Lab to their assigned station without the parents needing to come get them, but I have never heard of one. Let's ask for one from DCL!

I don't remember being told to not put on your lifejacket until you are at the muster station. On the contrary, we were told not to take them off after the drill until we returned to our cabin because the straps would drag on the floor. Again, the proper procedure should be clarified.

15. cjsmith

cjsmith <font color=green>We can head over there together

That is the exact problem with putting them on as you're rushing to your muster station, straps dragging etc. You are not supposed to put on the lifejacket until you get to the muster station. Disney doens't have you take it off until you leave, other cruise lines are different. Princess doesn't make you sit and wear it like Disney does.

There is a huge difference between casually going to your muster station for a drill and actually having to rush to your muster station in a life threatening situation. We left our stateroom after the sliding glass door shattered, thank god in one piece, right in front of my husband's face and a wall of fire was on the other side. There was no time to put on the lifejackets as we ran through the black smoke to our muster station. People were trying to put them on and it was causing people to clog up hallways and stairs and to trip. They kept shouting to not put them on and wait until in your muster station. Once there we were actually told to take them off as they didn't want anyone wearing one but crew, it would help identify them. As we were not about to go under, we didn't need one on really at the moment so we all just sat there with them on our laps.

For those people who didn't grab their lifejackets or didn't have time, the crew did have plenty extras to pass out.

16. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

I dug thru our info from last cruise & found DD's wrist band from the club. It is much simpler than in 2003 when they had the bar code on it so I didn't think that it had anything but her name on it. I was wrong.

First Name Last Name
    AS:D (this was our station) age group
    Pager # & a 18 digit ID number

I would imagine that if your child is in the club they will sort the kids by station & take them there to meet you.

17. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

I've read that some passengers store their life jackets under the bed to make more room in the closet. Personally, I wouldn't do that because if I needed to get my life jacket, it would be easier to get it from the closet than having to dig it out from under the bed (no telling how far under it might get shoved - we almost lost a suitcase under the bed, I'm guessing from the vacuum being run under the bed). We left our life jackets in the top of the closet, but I positioned them so that they would be easy to grab.