When you spring clean do you wash the ceilings?

I don't wash them with soap and water but once a week I do dust mop them.

I don't, but my mother used to. She was a clean-freak though. Once a month she used to make me empty out all my dresser drawers and vacuum them. I also used to have to take everything off the top shelf of my closet, dust that, then put it all back. It seemed so pointless to me. Our house was spotless, though.

My MIL was almost as bad. I don't think she cleaned the ceilings, but she insists that she used to clean her bathrooms 3 times a day. Who has time for that?

I had a neighbor who told me that her husband would designate a night every other week for them to clean walls with soap and water in one room. When they finished the house, they would start all over. They're divorced now.

Yes, I have cleaned my ceilings. Generally, I only clean in bedrooms when I would paint, but bathroom and (particularly) kitchen ceilings get washed once a year. I also spot clean over the stove every month or so or it gets greasy and disgusting.

I had a neighbor who told me that her husband would designate a night every other week for them to clean walls with soap and water in one room. When they finished the house, they would start all over. They're divorced now.

:rotfl2:

Seriously? No ceiling washing taking place here. But then again you are in a more desert type dusty area than I am I would guess. So maybe then I would wash my ceiling. Mine don't look dirty? How dirty could a ceiling get? What's going on up there?

OP, I've never heard of anyone doing that. But I suppose, if you or someone in your house was a smoker, it would probably be a good idea.

While I do about 2x a year wash my walls and baseboards, it never occured to me to clean the ceiling other than vacuuming up a cobweb.

We washed flat surfaces when I was a kid and my parents were both smokers.

Since then, I haven't seen the need.

I've never washed my walls, let alone my ceiling. But we don't smoke and we don't have kids. I don't even have to mop that often.

It's not just smokers and kids that get walls and ceilings dirty. Perhaps we are the only ones left in the world with forced air heat, but I doubt that with how many folks other than us that have central AC. If you are not washing the ceiling and you have any kind of forced air ventilation, then I'd have to say your walls are disgusting.

My parents smoked and they would do it once a year. You literally had to change the water bucket for each wall and the ceiling as the water would be literally black. My house isn't nearly that bad as we don't smoke, but with forced air heat, they get dirty including the ceiling.

Speaking of smoking, we bought the house from 2 smokers whom was obvious to us they never washed the walls and ceiling. My wife spent the first year in the house washing the walls and ceilings probably monthly that is how bad it was. The tobacco stains would permeate back out of the paint and you could see the staining. Took us a long time to get the tobacco smell out of the paint and any wood such as cabinets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter