2018 Watch: All 2018 Itineraries are announced as of May 11th, 2017!

Can they not transfer the money from the old booking on the ship to a new booking
Typically, no. You must make a whole new reservation/deposit. Then cancel the other one. Cancellation refunds are returned to the method of payment used for it. If you use a credit card for the deposit on the first reservation, then the credit card will be credited back the deposit.

They don't usually "just move" a deposit to a new reservation.

Typically, no. You must make a whole new reservation/deposit. Then cancel the other one. Cancellation refunds are returned to the method of payment used for it. If you use a credit card for the deposit on the first reservation, then the credit card will be credited back the deposit.

They can move money from one reservation to another. I have cancelled two cruises so far and both times was I able to transfer the deposit to an existing reservation. My TA says it does depend on the CMs willingness though. That is one reason why I am happy for having a TA as she deals with this for me. With exchange rates (I am living in the Euro zone) it sometimes does make a big difference if the deposit can be transferred or has to come back and a new charge is being processed.

I know that with onboard bookings it is not possible for me though because my bookings are all made through a TA. She is the one who has to do the cancellation, so I cannot do it on the ship at the same time as booking the new cruise. However, when she cancelled the first booking after we reshopped it on board, she was able to move that deposit over to the new booking. I liked it as I was paying off a little more of my cruise.

That's not my TA's fault. She stated that the games Disney plays with itinerary announcements anymore is beyond frustrating. Would not change them for a minute -- every sailing they have gotten me the exact room I wanted and great OBC.
I booked two vouchers while on the Dream at the beginning of the month and would like to switch the reservation to a TA for the obc...would you mind sharing the TA you use! I've been following this thread in hopes of finding Hawaii on the cruise list.

They can move money from one reservation to another. I have cancelled two cruises so far and both times was I able to transfer the deposit to an existing reservation. My TA says it does depend on the CMs willingness though. That is one reason why I am happy for having a TA as she deals with this for me. With exchange rates (I am living in the Euro zone) it sometimes does make a big difference if the deposit can be transferred or has to come back and a new charge is being processed.

I know that with onboard bookings it is not possible for me though because my bookings are all made through a TA. She is the one who has to do the cancellation, so I cannot do it on the ship at the same time as booking the new cruise. However, when she cancelled the first booking after we reshopped it on board, she was able to move that deposit over to the new booking. I liked it as I was paying off a little more of my cruise.

Thats a little different though... you still had to pay the deposit on the "new" onboard reservation, right? Then your TA applied the money from the old deposit to the new reservation rather than refund it to you. Since your TA "owns" your reservation, I don't think DCL can touch the money from it. Your TA can always move it to another reservation, but DCL can't do that onboard. I'm not certain if you don't go through a TA and book yourself if its possible to do without a new deposit or not... we have yet to have it to be cheaper onboard just due to timing. I HAVE done this on the phone though - moved dates - and not had to pay a second deposit so theoretically it might work out that way? I just like being prepared..! :)

Thats a little different though... you still had to pay the deposit on the "new" onboard reservation, right? Then your TA applied the money from the old deposit to the new reservation rather than refund it to you. Since your TA "owns" your reservation, I don't think DCL can touch the money from it. Your TA can always move it to another reservation, but DCL can't do that onboard. I'm not certain if you don't go through a TA and book yourself if its possible to do without a new deposit or not... we have yet to have it to be cheaper onboard just due to timing. I HAVE done this on the phone though - moved dates - and not had to pay a second deposit so theoretically it might work out that way? I just like being prepared..! :)

When I reshopped an existing reservation onboard, we did have to cancel the initial booking (and wait for the refund) and pay the deposit for the new reservation onboard. They couldn't transfer the funds used for the original reservation. We were also able to have our TA get us the original rooms we had booked after we got home.

I booked two vouchers while on the Dream at the beginning of the month and would like to switch the reservation to a TA for the obc...would you mind sharing the TA you use! I've been following this thread in hopes of finding Hawaii on the cruise list.

All Seasons Travel out of Jacksonville, FL. My agent is Sandie Clifford. Been using them for well over a decade!

I've cancelled one cruise and re-booked another at the same time on the phone and only had to pay the difference in the deposit amounts (the new one was more). This was for an onboard booking before they created these placeholder reservations, back when many people booked a "dummy reservation" onboard that they had no intention of ever taking.

Last edited:
I've cancelled one cruise and re-booked another at the same time on the phone and only had to pay the difference in the deposit amounts (the new one was more). This was for an onboard booking before they created these placeholder reservations, back when many people booked a "dummy reservation" on board that they had no intention of ever taking.

It sounds like you really just changed your onboard booked cruise. Changing your onboard booking from one itinerary to another is not really a big deal (though the deposit amount could change based on cruise changed to). The complication is taking an existing reservation, and then trying to basically convert that to an onboard booking once you get onboard.

Just called them up and they said they will be able to move the money to my new booking on the ship. Shouldn't be a problem

Well I can't afford two deposits and I just pay a little to my cruise each month

Barely have savings but doesn't mean I shouldn't book a cruise

Respectfully. Yes, it does. But I don't want to derail the thread any further, so that will be my last response on it. (Not that there is much to talk about on 2018 itineraries at the moment)

Respectfully. Yes, it does. But I don't want to derail the thread any further, so that will be my last response on it. (Not that there is much to talk about on 2018 itineraries at the moment)

This isn't the budget board. Everyone has different thoughts on money. Some people like a lot in their savings and wait a long time for nice vacations. Some are fine with an emergency fund and go on vacation as they can afford. Some people want to vacation now while they have young families and won't have these years for long. Some like to wait till they are old and will do it all then. There is no hard clear right or wrong. To each their own.

Hope everyone gets the 2018 cruises they want. I know I am waiting for January! Last year of school for hubby so it's either January or summer and we all know how much summer cruises cost..ouch.

I also am anxiously waiting for January. We have a 20% off to use from our previous Fantasy cruise with engine trouble. Looking to do the Western Caribbean since we have already done the Eastern.

This isn't the budget board. Everyone has different thoughts on money. Some people like a lot in their savings and wait a long time for nice vacations. Some are fine with an emergency fund and go on vacation as they can afford. Some people want to vacation now while they have young families and won't have these years for long. Some like to wait till they are old and will do it all then. There is no hard clear right or wrong. To each their own.

Hope everyone gets the 2018 cruises they want. I know I am waiting for January! Last year of school for hubby so it's either January or summer and we all know how much summer cruises cost..ouch.

Exactly. I wouldn't float two deposits with one being a cruise I'm no longer taking -- I want to see money in hand LOL. And if someone saves hard to afford a vacation every year or two, but cannot afford an extra deposit out of their budget, that does not mean they need to be judged for taking a cruise! No one has any business judging what someone's else's savings are and whether they are "woefully lacking". :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter