When to note a special celebration?

Sweet Pea Reed

Mouseketeer
Hi. I booked a package (room, tickets and dining plan) in august for our upcoming stay in February. I booked over the phone, and when the CM asked if we were celebrating anything, I mentioned my 40th birthday. On the off chance that I might get some ribbons or a special cupcake at meals, do I need to call to tell Disney dining about the birthday, or was that noted when I booked my package?

They will give you a pin to wear and you'll get lots of "happy birthday" wishes. I wouldn't expect more than that, I go just about every year on my birthday and I think I've gotten a free dessert maybe twice in over 30 years.

You can call and have it noted on your dining reservations and also mention it at the restaurant, but as loves to dive posted, the only thing that is guaranteed is plenty of "happy birthdays" from castmembers when you are wearing the birthday button. Beyond that nothing is for certain. At meals it really depends on the restaurant and your server. We've gone on birthday and anniversary trips and at some restaurants we've gotten cupcakes or other desserts, Mickey confetti, cards, champagne and other festive beverages, but at other places there has been absolutely no acknowledgement at all. With thousands celebrating a special occasion every day it is not possible for Disney to have a celebration for everyone.

Thank you. You're both right, nothing is ever guaranteed, so I understand. But, like I said, on the off chance I can get some pixie dust, its worth a shot.

BIRTHDAY-ANNIVERSARY-HONEYMOON-GRADUATION-ETC Celebrations "411":
1) It is a matter of the CM's personal initiative.
. . . depends upon how much they like you as a guest
. . . it always helps to wear a "Happy Birthday" or "Just Married" button
. . . depends if they feel like doing anything special today
. . . depends upon the phase of the moon
2) CM's can do a lot, or they can do nothing at all as they have immense control
. . . they are under no obligation to give goodies or even acknowledge any special day
. . . they can go way overboard, give lots of gifts
. . . they have A LOT of leeway for what they will or will not do for you
. . . they can see the event if listed on the ADR or hotel ressie and you hope for the best
3) Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . table with Mickey confetti
. . . your name/celebration on menu at TS locations (except BOG)
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . character-autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . balloon animals
. . . wine or champagne or Shirley Temples
. . . room towel animals
. . . appetizers or desserts
. . . cakes
. . . cupcake with candle (almost always available for the asking)
. . . place mats autographed by characters
. . . free appy or free dessert
. . . ride an attraction with a character
. . . personalization items for the Magic Bands
5) Some other items CM's can give for free
. . . room full of balloons and/or flowers
. . . fruit basket or wine basket in hotel room
. . . individual fast passes or booklets of several fast passes
. . . food and snack items (candy, popcorn, sundries)
. . . room upgrades
. . . attraction rides with characters
6) If you really want something special, buy it yourself.
. . . eatery: carry presents in and keep/hide them in a paper bag
. . . eatery: carry a cake in, but, WDW won't prepare, store, or serve it
. . . eatery: order non-decorated cake at the eatery podium check-in
. . . eatery: order decorated cake from the WDW Cake Hotline
. . . room: order special in-room celebration decorating by Disney
. . . room: order strawberries and cream, if resort has room service
. . . room: decorate the room yourself
7) If there are multiple celebrations for people during a trip
. . . do not do separate celebration locations or tables
. . . one person may get an enthusiastic CM and get goodies
. . . one person may get a lazy CM and get nothing
8) Hundreds, or thousands, celebrate everyday at WDW.
9) It is too much time/money for CM's to attend or recognize every one of them.
NOTE: I have personally given out freebies such as major room upgrades, fruit baskets, wine & cheese baskets, fast passes. It all depends upon how you act toward us and the mood we are in at that time. Of course, there are those guests for whom I would do absolutely nothing involving personal initiative.
NOTE2: If you are celebrating something, tell the SEATER (the podium person) when you check-in at the eatery. They will note it on the table-slip that is presented to the SERVER. The SERVER can determine if they want to do something.
NOTE3: If you wish to make a note on your Hotel Ressie or Dining ADR, you need to PHONE CALL the ressie department. You cannot make such a note any longer on-line. Human nature being what it is, it seemed like ALMOST EVERYONE claimed some kind of celebration, obviously hoping for freebies and/or favors.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter