When to go? Where to stay??

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by cadesfirsttrip, Oct 12, 2012.

1. cadesfirsttrip

cadesfirsttrip Earning My Ears

Help!! We are taking our now 9 year old and 21 year old to WDW this winter. It was easier to plan when there were no specials going on. Now I don't know what to do, so I'm asking for your input. Because of several circumstances, we've decided to stay at an All-Star. I would put us in a mod if the circumstances were different. So here are my questions.

We are either going the end of January or the beginning of March, for 6 nights. What is the weather typically like during these times? Will my kids be able to go in the pool? How are the crowds?

I've priced out all the options I can see. The ASMo for January PSD is $2048.78. ASSports is $1940.36. March ASMo is $2271.29. ASSports is $2115.53. Any thoughts on which is better of the two (we've stayed at both, but Sports has been a long, long time ago)? And, since we are definately doing a dining plan, do I wait to see if I can get free dining? When I priced out those resorts and dates with the discount, adding in tickets Sports was only a couple of hundred less, and Movies was more (no discount for them).

And, tell me all about how CBR really feels like Disney so that I can maybe convince everyone else to go there. Otherwise, they want to stay were there are Mickey's and Donalds, etc.

Thanks for your help!!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. turnlisa

turnlisa DIS Veteran

There are currently discounts out for the dates you have. The word that has been circulating is that there will be no free dining. I don't think I would count on it. If you go the end of January, the current discounts will cover it. As long as you go before March 7, you are covered also.

Either of these periods could be too cold for the pool. It's hard to tell. You would probably be more likely to get in the pool in March than in January.

CBR is wonderful, although it is not our favorite mod. I think most of the resorts definitely feel like Disney. A good way to convince everyone to try another resort is to watch the Disney planning video. This is how I convinced my kids to give Fort Wilderness a try.

4. chamonix

chamonix DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I would go with March. The difference in cost is fairly small and the chance of pool weather is better in march. That also gives you more time to find a discount and change your reservation, lol!

As for changing to the mod resort, are there really that much more "mickey and donald" at the values? :confused3 If you have already stayed at a value, if you can swing it financially definitely go for the mod. :thumbsup2 I'm a big fan of trying something you haven't tried before. :goodvibes I'm sure you will have a great vacation either place. :upsidedow

5. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

We go in late January, because I think the crowds may be lower? And price is lower too.
    There are currently 2 discounts out, a room only, and the Stay,Play & Dine promo which is fairly decent.

Our fav mod is POR -Rivrside. Look at the pics on all ears.net. Be sure you are looking at the New pics because they have older room pics too. POR has been recently refurbed and the rooms are very nice. I prefer the mansion section, but some prefer the Bayou section. Beautiful resort that transports you to a different place. The moderate And deluxe resorts are more about theming, different times and places rather then the big icons.

Weather can be unpredictable, but we have swam lots during January vacays. Usually mid day when it's warmest. Early mornings and evenings can be chilly.

6. TigrLvsPooh

TigrLvsPooh Planning WDW Trips Obsessively

You are doing a great job weighing the pros and cons! :thumbsup2 I would have to agree with the other replies you've gotten about the weather. The weather the first week of March is much more likely to be warm enough to swim comfortably... although I did see kids swimming this past January when it was in the 30's with a freeze warning! But putting the weather aside I think late January is a great time to go to WDW because of good discounts and low crowds. I guess it depends how important swimming is versus how much time you plan to spend in the parks. There really is no right or wrong answer. Good luck! ::yes::

7. disneychic33

disneychic33 Mouseketeer

Hi, I have never stayed in a mod so, I can't give advice there. However I can tell you that we are big fans of the all star movies resort. We also always seem to go in March every year. it is usually in the 80's-low 90's. My kids love to go back to the resort in the afternoons and relax by going swimming. We have gone in early feb before and it has been to cold for swimming. Which ever time you go though I'm sure you will have a blast.

8. cadesfirsttrip

cadesfirsttrip Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great replies! Is there a big crowd difference between late January and early March?

9. chamonix

chamonix DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Common wisdom is that January will have lower crowds, but I've been in early March several times and didn't feel too crowded at all. Although some schools have spring break that early, Easter isn't until April next year so it won't be too crowded to enjoy in early March. We also find going at times when crowds are the smallest, you also have shorter park hours, so that's a drawback too.

10. shopn24seven

shopn24seven DIS Veteran

I think the week after NY's is slow, but that first week of March starts some spring breaks...
    Weatherwise, I think March is keeper......

11. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

spring break starts in late Feb - but still would go with early March - not middle or late March - would possible be crowded - but early march - should be fine.

now how do you feel about gardens - Epcot's flower and garden festavial starts in March. it is definitely worth seeing.

here is the information from 2012 - but dates for 2013