When should we go?

dmea10

Dmea10
I got into work tonight and in my email we have a vacation bid for next year. My granddaughter will be turning 5 on December 5th and we wanted to take her to WDW around her birthday. I am also willing to go at another time if it makes more sense. I do NOT want to be there for Pop Warner week. (both my daughters were there every year for many years and I felt bad for the other guests) I thought about Halloween and the week after Thanksgiving. She will not be in school full time until she is almost 6 so we can go any time until then. Can you give me pros and cons and tell me what you would do? I see the food and wine will be August 31st until November 13th 2017. Should we avoid those weeks even though we will probably spend most of our time in Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom with a 4 year old. Any advice is appreciated.

All of my previous trips are the week of Labor Day in September. There are minimal waits for rides (the longest typically being 15 - 20 minutes with exceptions for newer rides) and the crowds are really low. We even have pictures of ourselves back in 2007 alone in Frontierland. The only downside to going at this time is it can be hot.

I've read that after Thanksgiving through some of December is also a low time. Same with right after New Years.

Why not take her the week on her birthday? Christmas will be going on everywhere. At EPCOT you will have the Christmas Candlelight show. Crowds should be a little lighter. With a little luck the weather should be OK.

Why not take her the week on her birthday? Christmas will be going on everywhere. At EPCOT you will have the Christmas Candlelight show. Crowds should be a little lighter. With a little luck the weather should be OK.

That is the week Pop Warner is there and I want to avoid that at all cost.

All of my previous trips are the week of Labor Day in September. There are minimal waits for rides (the longest typically being 15 - 20 minutes with exceptions for newer rides) and the crowds are really low. We even have pictures of ourselves back in 2007 alone in Frontierland. The only downside to going at this time is it can be hot.

Yeah, I do not want to deal with the heat. We used to go in July every year and while we had a great time, as you know the heat can take a toll on you.

I'm kind of a control freak, so here's my take! When do her parents want to take her? I personally have planned all our vacations, and would feel weird having my mom or mother in law planning one.

I would only be concerned with Pop Warner if I were staying at a value resort. Otherwise, I've done early December at deluxe resorts and not noticed any issues with groups of kids.

My all time favorite time of the year is the week before Labor Day; my kids always went back to school after Labor Day, but much of the country has already gone back. Very low wait times, and good deals like free dining or discounts make it a nice time (although it is hot and you get afternoon showers, but it's still fun). We also go over spring break most years, with nice weather. Last spring, though, my DD's break fell over Easter, so the crowds were higher (and we stayed at AKV Kidani - I wasn't a fan of the bus service there and lack of counter service even though we had a kitchen, getting to Jambo house was a PITA).

Either way, if you're going with the parents or taking the child without them, I'd see when they want to go.

I think it depends on "what" you want to focus on/celebrate. If you want to celebrate her Birthday, go during the week of her Birthday which gives you the perk of also enjoying all the Christmas decorations. If you want to celebrate over a different holiday then go during that holiday. If you want to go at a slow time, then pick a slow time that is not typically hot since you don't like the heat. If it were me, I would take her during her Birthday...it's a great time of year to be at WDW.

We also go over spring break most years, with nice weather.

I'm going at the end of March 2017, spring break territory (but before Easter), what are crowds typically like/wait times like? I'm just curious.

I'm going at the end of March 2017, spring break territory (but before Easter), what are crowds typically like/wait times like? I'm just curious.

Usually the crowds aren't too terrible, except for Easter, when it's definitely more busy! Other than Easter, spring break can be anywhere from early March to late April, so it's kind of spread out with crowds.

I'm also going end of March (17-25) next trip, staying at All Star Sports (first time there), just DD and me.

We really enjoy Epcot's Flower & Garden festival! Fun food booths, beautiful flowers, and we've enjoyed a couple of fun concerts too.

Usually the crowds aren't too terrible, except for Easter, when it's definitely more busy! Other than Easter, spring break can be anywhere from early March to late April, so it's kind of spread out with crowds.

I'm also going end of March (17-25) next trip, staying at All Star Sports (first time there), just DD and me.

We really enjoy Epcot's Flower & Garden festival! Fun food booths, beautiful flowers, and we've enjoyed a couple of fun concerts too.

We are going the following week for my birthday. It will also be my daughter's first visit! I'm excited for wearing pants, maybe long sleeves!, and seeing MK without the Halloween decorations up. Haha! Because of the reasons we are going I splurged and rented DVC points to stay at the Poly. I've only ever stayed at All-Star resorts. Thanks for the idea about crowds.

We are going the following week for my birthday. It will also be my daughter's first visit! I'm excited for wearing pants, maybe long sleeves!, and seeing MK without the Halloween decorations up. Haha! Because of the reasons we are going I splurged and rented DVC points to stay at the Poly. I've only ever stayed at All-Star resorts. Thanks for the idea about crowds.

The weather can really vary - you may need pants, or shorts! I bring a little of everything. Some years it's been super hot, sometimes we needed sweaters all day (I always have a sweater with me - the air conditioning alone can be freezing).

Enjoy! We arrive on my DD's birthday!

I'm kind of a control freak, so here's my take! When do her parents want to take her? I personally have planned all our vacations, and would feel weird having my mom or mother in law planning one.

I would only be concerned with Pop Warner if I were staying at a value resort. Otherwise, I've done early December at deluxe resorts and not noticed any issues with groups of kids.

My all time favorite time of the year is the week before Labor Day; my kids always went back to school after Labor Day, but much of the country has already gone back. Very low wait times, and good deals like free dining or discounts make it a nice time (although it is hot and you get afternoon showers, but it's still fun). We also go over spring break most years, with nice weather. Last spring, though, my DD's break fell over Easter, so the crowds were higher (and we stayed at AKV Kidani - I wasn't a fan of the bus service there and lack of counter service even though we had a kitchen, getting to Jambo house was a PITA).

Either way, if you're going with the parents or taking the child without them, I'd see when they want to go.

My daughter is a single mom. She lives with me. We are planning the trip together but I am the one who does most of the planning. My daughter is fine with that since we have been to WDW many, many times. She has a flexible job where she can get time off whenever, where I have to plan it out. She is open to whatever dates. We discuss where we want to stay and where we want to eat etc. She just does not care to do all the planning. We just have to make a decision about whether we go closer to Halloween or Christmas. It is not easy lol

My daughter is a single mom. She lives with me. We are planning the trip together but I am the one who does most of the planning. My daughter is fine with that since we have been to WDW many, many times. She has a flexible job where she can get time off whenever, where I have to plan it out. She is open to whatever dates. We discuss where we want to stay and where we want to eat etc. She just does not care to do all the planning. We just have to make a decision about whether we go closer to Halloween or Christmas. It is not easy lol

Oh! Thanks for clarifying it!

I've never been around Halloween, but that would be really fun. Christmas is beautiful, but can be much cooler (it's been hit or miss, sometimes kids can swim, sometimes we're in jeans and sweats trying to stay warm!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter