When should I cash in visa rewards?

ammag

DIS Veteran
I am wondering how far in advance of our trip (10/30) I should cash out my rewards to make sure I get the giftcard in time for the trip?

I usually do it to allow about 6 weeks for arrival. It might cost you $1-2 in rewards losses for that month, but we all know we are going back!

For example: we are leaving 10/21/15 and I will order my rewards card the first week of September. Hope that helps!

I also think there is a "guide" on how far in advance to order on the Chase website.

I was planning on cashing in some of my points soon, then having the rest added right before our trip.

I usually order my card about 6 weeks out, but only order it with $10 redeemed. After you receive the card, you can call and have the remaining balance transferred to that same card. Last trip, I knew my rewards were going to hit my account while I was there, so I just called the day after and had that amount transferred over.

I was planning on cashing in some of my points soon, then having the rest added right before our trip.

I was just thinking that... once you actually have the card you can add more reward dollars before your trip to the existing card you have. Only takes a few hours. Can someone confirm this is the still case??

I was just thinking that... once you actually have the card you can add more reward dollars before your trip to the existing card you have. Only takes a few hours. Can someone confirm this is the still case??

Order the card now on the website. Once you get it, wait for the closing date of your last statement before your trip to get the maximum credits. Then go online and move as many dollars as you wish onto your card. You do not need to call, it is easy to do online.
Denise

I had no idea I could get it soon and add the points that's great news thanks so much! I think we will have about $100 by the time we pay off our trip I am looking forward to this!

If you're getting a rewards card for the first time I think the minimum is $20. So get your card with $20 and then add the rest whenever.

If you run out of time you can also pick up a rewards card (you need your visa with you) at any guest services in the parks and DTD. They'll give you a card and then you call to have the $$'s transferred. It's always been a pretty immediate transfer in my experience.

It's so easy to transfer rewards dollars (a quick phone call) and the transfer is instantaneous. So, I'll order the card well in advance ( 2 months) and then transfer what I need when I am there. I usually do not transfer all of it at once because I am afraid of losing the card, so I just refill and spend and refill and spend!

There is no reason to wait since you are going soon. The card you order now will expire December 2016 so no worries there. You can transfer your dollars online and it is effective instantaneously.

If you're getting a rewards card for the first time I think the minimum is $20. So get your card with $20 and then add the rest whenever.

If you run out of time you can also pick up a rewards card (you need your visa with you) at any guest services in the parks and DTD. They'll give you a card and then you call to have the $$'s transferred. It's always been a pretty immediate transfer in my experience.

We did this!!! It was an instant transfer and I immediately had the card. Very simple to do. We used the DTD location.

There is no reason to wait since you are going soon. The card you order now will expire December 2016 so no worries there. You can transfer your dollars online and it is effective instantaneously.

Actually the newest cards don't ever expire. I just ordered mine on the 22th and received it on the 29th.

Yes, I read (and commented) about the no expiration in the other thread. I should have come back and revised but forgot. Thanks!

It's so easy to transfer rewards dollars (a quick phone call) and the transfer is instantaneous. So, I'll order the card well in advance ( 2 months) and then transfer what I need when I am there. I usually do not transfer all of it at once because I am afraid of losing the card, so I just refill and spend and refill and spend!

And you can have them transferred over in DTD.

I'm glad I saw this thread ..... it reminded me to order my card. We leave in less than 3 weeks and I totally spaced it!
I ordered a new card and had the minimum 10 points added to it. I'll transfer the rest of the points after my statement closes early next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter