When selling dvc, do you have to go through

You can do a direct sale. You will still need to go through ROFR and legal transfer of the deed.

There is no advantage for the buyer to deal with you directly, though. So if you don't already have a buyer lined up, it might be tough to find a buyer (as a broker has more experience with the process and provides more protection for the buyer).

Thank you!

So a broker might be the best way to go about it. Thanks!

Thank you!

So a broker might be the best way to go about it. Thanks!
You'll pay them around 10% but you might get a slightly higher price as well. I'd only do it privately if you sell it to someone you know. I wouldn't do ebay. I might do redweeks, esp if I had something that I thought was sell easily.

You can do a direct sale. You will still need to go through ROFR and legal transfer of the deed.

There is no advantage for the buyer to deal with you directly, though. So if you don't already have a buyer lined up, it might be tough to find a buyer (as a broker has more experience with the process and provides more protection for the buyer).

I disagree...there is an advantage to the buyer because they can buy it for a few dollars cheaper (the money you would have spent on a brokers services). There are some methods of advertising to find buyers.

I disagree...there is an advantage to the buyer because they can buy it for a few dollars cheaper (the money you would have spent on a brokers services). There are some methods of advertising to find buyers.
There is a potential slight advantage to the buyer and to the seller. Both can save a few $$$ if they structure the deal correctly. But there is also increased risk for both, how much depends on how they proceed and it can be very minimal risk. IMO it's a rare situation where it's worth it for either though because the deal is what it is and any significant savings also increases the risk of ROFR interfering. I'd likely only do it if selling to family or someone I knew. What I wouldn't do is try to structure a deal specifically trying to avoid ROFR by getting fancy and including items that can't be duplicated as it's unlikely to work anyway. I could see adding a close family member now and removing them later in a very specific situation but I'd only consider that if I was willing to do so over 2 to 3 years.

You'll pay them around 10% but you might get a slightly higher price as well. I'd only do it privately if you sell it to someone you know. I wouldn't do ebay. I might do redweeks, esp if I had something that I thought was sell easily.
What's the difference between ebay and redweeks?

Ordinarily yes. But with ROFR - that is not really the case with DVC. Trying to save a few bucks might mean Disney gets a good deal on the contract.

Also, it would be more risky as Dean says due to the seller's inexperience. Or risks that the seller might use pts without telling you - it's easier to have a broker who understands the issues that can cause problems with the deal keeping an eye on things.

The benefit to the seller is that they don't have to pay the commission. In theory, the benefit to the buyer is that they save a few dollars. But, since Disney has ROFR, there is risk in the lower price. A buyer can't really save much, if any money. And, even if the buyer did save 5%, they lose the benefit of an experienced broker handling the approval, closing, and transfer process.

Basically, avoiding the broker is only a benefit to the seller and generally a detriment to the buyer.

What's the difference between ebay and redweeks?
Ebay is an auction site mostly. Redweeks is more like craigslist, it's an online option simply to place ads. It works much like a broker would to get a potential buyer and seller together then they work out their own deal and arrangements.

Why redweeks and not ebay?

Redweeks is a timeshare site. At least you tend to get knowledgeable buyers and sellers there.
EBay has a mix of outright fraud, too good to be true deals, naive buyers and sellers, and sellers who do not understand the ROFR process, the closing process, etc.

Redweeks is just a listing area, basically ads. Ebay is a whole different ballgame. Lots of issuers and nuances to ebay you can avoid. Craigslist might be another option though.

You can also list on the tugboards, like redweeks it has a listing area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter