• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When is the best time to visit DL (weather wise)

golfdad

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are looking at visiting Disneyland next year for the first time with our 3 year old. We have an idea of where we are staying, and what we are doing, just don't know when the best time to go weather wise. I've been doing some research about average monthly temperatures and they seem low. Average highs around April, May in the low 70's? We are wanting to stay around a time when the weather is in the low 80's so we can take our son swimming. Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of the pools are heated. Summer's pretty much the only time you can count on 80's. Any other time of the year it will be hit or miss.

I slightly disagree with Piglet. Yes, summer is best for warm weather. But June can still be chilly, with morning gloom not burning off 'til noon on some days. July and August are warm, but September should be pretty reliable too, with some very hot periods. Even into the first week or two of October should work fine for you. But if you want heat and light crowds, I'd go in September, after Labor Day. Beware, though, that after Labor Day, hours will be shorter and entertainment such as Fantasmic! and fireworks will only show on the weekends. See the following Hydroguy tips:

Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens

What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR

Also, HoJo's should have some retro-rate days available if you go after Labor Day. Keep an eye on this page:

http://www.boards.hojoanaheim.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14

HTH,
Bob

It gets cool in the evenings no matter what time of year you go. We're from northern California, and not used to chilly evenings, it can get up to 115-120 during the day here in July and cools down to the 90s at night. The first time I visited as an adult (many years after my last visit) I did not pack for cool nights, because I figured it's California in mid-July, gonna be hot. Not so much. After sunset the temperatures plummeted to the high 50s/low 60s and we were all freezing, we had to buy new hoodies at the shop in DCA (oh no! new Disney clothes!).

I agree with GrandBob, basically it takes longer to warm up in the spring than it does to cool down in the fall.

Early September is also a great time for the beach, about the warmest water temps all year.

Just, FYI my kids in Orange County start school Sep 6th.

Happy planning! :goodvibes

I would say the hottest times are from June to September, but this is also the time of year the parks are crowded because kids are out of school. If you stay in one of the DLR hotels, the pools are heated. Not sure of the other hotels around the area.

I found walking around in the sun, even in 75 degree weather, a pool is nice after a day at the parks.

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, so I'm used to the weather being in the 70's 80's during the day in the summer and cooling way down into the 50's 60's at night. So be aware that the California coastal areas have a natural cooling system every night.

My favorite time is mid September through mid October. It's usually warm but not hot, and the crowds aren't bad.

Thank you everyone for the info! Looks like were going in the fall. That's ok, I wanted to go to the halloween party anyway :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter