When does Port Canaveral open?

No, you will be dropped off in front of the terminal. The street goes between the covered parking and the terminal. There's no need to go up to the 3rd floor to take the flyover into the terminal.

Security is immediately as you enter the terminal (on both levels).

In this picture you can see the flyover from the covered parking to the terminal. The town car will drop you off directly underneath where the flyover is. You can see the street next to the building (coming around on the left hand side of the preferred parking lot.
View attachment 120633

For our Fantasy Sailing we got the earliest PAT (10:30 correct?), we arrived about 20 minutes early. We were dropped off under the flyover you mention, and then sent across the drive and up to the 3rd floor. Is that just because we were there before the terminal opened?

For our Fantasy Sailing we got the earliest PAT (10:30 correct?), we arrived about 20 minutes early. We were dropped off under the flyover you mention, and then sent across the drive and up to the 3rd floor. Is that just because we were there before the terminal opened?
Probably.

We cruised on the Dream last November, got to the port early, about 10:00 (PAT 10:30), dropped off our luggage as soon as they opened the gate to receive it, then were sent across the street to go up to the 3rd floor to wait in the line. Once they started letting the line move from the parking garage area into the terminal we were not in the very front, but were standing on the walkway while we waited to enter the terminal for about 30 minutes. Our luggage was also at our room as soon as we were allowed into the hallways. Not sure if this had to with our arrival time or if it was just luck.

Just luck I think...or the porter u got and how much u tipped them??? We checked in at 10:30 (our PAT) and did not get our bags until about 4 this past cruise. Previous ones where we checked in at same time or later, they were waiting for us when we went to our cabin at 1:30.

If you arrive at the terminal via DCL transportation, you will be allowed to enter the terminal, regardless of the actual PAT you selected.

<<<<< This! Shmoo's advice is always spot on. This is why we usually take Disney transfers. Last cruise we has the earliest PAT, my inlaws had 12. They let them in with us. No questions.

This thanksgiving I have 11, and my parents have 12. I have been assured they will let them in with us (as they have done before). They have always checked in with us as well.

<<<<< This! Shmoo's advice is always spot on. This is why we usually take Disney transfers. Last cruise we has the earliest PAT, my inlaws had 12. They let them in with us. No questions.

This thanksgiving I have 11, and my parents have 12. I have been assured they will let them in with us (as they have done before). They have always checked in with us as well.

There's a difference between being "allowed in" to the terminal, and boarding. As mentioned, if taking DCL transfers everyone will be allowed into the terminal on arrival, regardless of PAT. Once in the terminal, guests may check-in. However, the boarding number you are assigned at check-in may be tied to your PAT (it usually is, there have been reports of those on DCL transfers getting earlier numbers but it seems to be sporadic and not a consistent experience). If you are cruising with another party with a different PAT and/or boarding number (it's possible to receive different boarding numbers even with the same PAT and arrival together), DCL's position about boarding together is for all parties to board with the highest number of the group.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just luck I think...or the porter u got and how much u tipped them??? We checked in at 10:30 (our PAT) and did not get our bags until about 4 this past cruise. Previous ones where we checked in at same time or later, they were waiting for us when we went to our cabin at 1:30.
It could have been luck for sure. We tipped $5 for 5 suitcases (poor planning during packing). Somehow the smaller bills had been packed away and we only had $20's. I thought a small tip was better than asking for change from the porter. Maybe they would have rather given me change than to get a small tip. Our room was on level 8, midship. That could make a difference.

There's a difference between being "allowed in" to the terminal, and boarding. As mentioned, if taking DCL transfers everyone will be allowed into the terminal on arrival, regardless of PAT. Once in the terminal, guests may check-in. However, the boarding number you are assigned at check-in may be tied to your PAT (it usually is, there have been reports of those on DCL transfers getting earlier numbers but it seems to be sporadic and not a consistent experience). If you are cruising with another party with a different PAT and/or boarding number (it's possible to receive different boarding numbers even with the same PAT and arrival together), DCL's position about boarding together is for all parties to board with the highest number of the group.

Enjoy your cruise!

lanejudy, Correct. I regret if my post somehow implied otherwise. We have always been allowed to enter with different PAT's and been able check in together, and received the same boarding numbers. Granted we may have gotten lucky all the times we have done this, but never had different boarding numbers.

Next July will be our first Platinum cruise, so we no longer have to worry!!! Thank Goodness!!

Last edited:
Could someone let me know if this is normal: When we take Disney transportation we often get there at 1:00 or 2:00. I only ask because as I'm reading this I realized that by the time we get there it sure seems like most other people are already on the ship and have been there for some time. Last Christmas we couldn't do the gingerbread house making event because by the time we got there the tickets were all gone, same with Anna and Elsa. We normally stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. We would like to get there earlier but there is only one DCL bus time. Am I doing something wrong here? Should we just bail out on DCL transportation and use our own?

Could someone let me know if this is normal: When we take Disney transportation we often get there at 1:00 or 2:00. I only ask because as I'm reading this I realized that by the time we get there it sure seems like most other people are already on the ship and have been there for some time. Last Christmas we couldn't do the gingerbread house making event because by the time we got there the tickets were all gone, same with Anna and Elsa. We normally stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. We would like to get there earlier but there is only one DCL bus time. Am I doing something wrong here? Should we just bail out on DCL transportation and use our own?
DCL busses only pick up once at each resort. Since they use the same busses to transport people from the ship in the morning (to resorts), and the drivers need a break, busses need servicing, the pick ups from the resorts to the port can't begin much before 11:00.

Most of the busses then pick up at up to 3 resorts, meaning that they don't typically head out for the port until around 11:30-12:00 at best. It's an hour to the port. So the busses from the resorts don't start arriving at the port until, at best, 12:30-1:00.

If you want to be at the port earlier, yes, you'll have to set up private transportation.

One note, even if you arrive at 10:30 (when the port opens) you won't be onboard before 11:30 at the earliest.

Ok, so I plan on doing a private transportation to the Port from WDW. I was able to get a Port Arrival Time of 10:30a. What time should we plan to arrive at the Port? I think our transportation can also make a grocery stop. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Ok, so I plan on doing a private transportation to the Port from WDW. I was able to get a Port Arrival Time of 10:30a. What time should we plan to arrive at the Port? I think our transportation can also make a grocery stop. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
I'm not sure, but I believe the port doesn't open to private transportation until 10:30 (maybe even 11:00). The company you use should have that information.

For us, we prefer arriving around 12:00-12:30. By then there aren't lines for check in and you can board right away.

Others prefer getting there at 10:30 and waiting (with the masses). Boarding generally begins around 11:15-11:30.

We plan to use Happy Limo and will have them get us there (with a stop) as early as they allow/suggest, assuming we have an early PAT

Oh, so just because we have a PAT of 10:30a, doesn't necessarily mean we will be boarding at that time? It just means we would be around the first group to actually board the ship?
I plan on using Orlando Chauffeured Services. So I will definitely see what time they can be there, if it's even worth it. But i think for our group, they just want to be at the Port to get everybody settled.

Oh, so just because we have a PAT of 10:30a, doesn't necessarily mean we will be boarding at that time? It just means we would be around the first group to actually board the ship?
I plan on using Orlando Chauffeured Services. So I will definitely see what time they can be there, if it's even worth it. But i think for our group, they just want to be at the Port to get everybody settled.
Port Arrival Time selection just helps spread out the crowds in the terminal. DCL implemented them when the new ships (with larger capacity) came on the scene. The terminal was built originally to handle the smaller ships.

Since a lot of people want to be "first on" the crowds at port opening were larger than the building could handle.

Port opens 10:30. If you arrive at the port at 10:30 with a 1:00 PAT, chances are you will be asked to wait (outside the terminal) until either the crowd thins or your selected PAT.

Your PAT is tied to the boarding number you will get at check in at the port. Boarding begins around 11:15-11:30 with Concierge and then the announcement of boarding numbers. Boarding numbers are announced approximately every 5-10 minutes (depending on how quickly the line is moving). Once the number being announced catches up to the number being issued at check in, Open Boarding is announced. That is, anyone holding any boarding number may board. This typically happens around 12:30-12:45.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter