When does Port Canaveral open?

mmmears

DIS Veteran
It's been a few years and I can't remember how early they open up the terminal. It's too early for me to log on and get my PAT, but I'm planning my park days and ADRs and this would be good information to have when figuring out what time we want to leave WDW. I realize we may get a late PAT, but I'm hoping that we won't since we want to get on the ship as soon as we can.
TIA

According to my cruise documents for a Dream cruise on August 31, 2015, the port opens at 11 a.m.

Also they now line you up outside one level up into the parking garage. You walk in line across a breezeway to enter on the second floor. If you do get an opening time PAT, you may want to plan on being there earlier to avoid being way back in the line entering the building where they scan your carry on bags. This is always a sluggish process and now you have to factor in the new Alcohol Policy will slow the process even more.

Does anyone know at what time they allow taxis etc into the port?

Also what is the real-world time at which you're able to be *in air conditioning*? For example I ended up at the Port of Miami way too early for NCL but I was able to check in and wait in a/c well before 10am.

Edit: I'll expand on my question ... I'm concierge so no PAT. When should I get a taxi over from the hotel/car rental place? I don't care about being in the pools early etc, but I'd like to avoid what I've heard described as an overflow/pileup situation at the concierge lounge.

On our last few cruises out of Port Canaveral the parking area/drop off area open at 10am. The terminal opened at 10:30am and they started boarding 11:15-11:30am.
Concierge Guests and Platinum Guest will receive boarding #'s 1 (and Platinum sometimes 2) and then they will start with everyone else.
You boarding # is tied to your PAT so the earlier PAT the lower your boarding #. If you show up early you will not receive a lower boarding#.

Concierge and platinum guest do not need a PAT.

Thanks for the info. We will most likely arrive by town car, so parking isn't a factor. I don't mind waiting, but probably don't want to be waiting outside the terminal. It sounds like 10:30 is the earliest time we should get there then? We are not concierge...

I think there are some previous threads about PAT and what time Port Canaveral opens-- we showed up a little before 10:30 (our PAT) last weekend. There were already people lined up on the bridge from the parking garage and outside on the ground level but not too many. We dropped our bags at curb and parked on level 3. We waited in line (covered bridge) outside for about 10-15 minutes to get through security. then another 10-15 minutes or so to check in. got Kids signed up for oceaneer's club and were only seated for 5 minutes before our boarding group (2) was called a little after 11:30. We had looked into car service but I saw that some of them said that the due to local rules, the earliest they could drop you off is 11:00 am-- that being said, I did see what looked like a car service dropping off at 10:30.

Thanks for the info. We will most likely arrive by town car, so parking isn't a factor. I don't mind waiting, but probably don't want to be waiting outside the terminal. It sounds like 10:30 is the earliest time we should get there then? We are not concierge...
Generally, yes. However, I'll point out that, if you arrive earlier than your selected PAT, and the terminal is busy (as it well may be between 10:30-11:30 with all those who want to be "first"), you will be asked to wait outside the terminal until either - it's less busy or your PAT (whichever happens first).

Generally, yes. However, I'll point out that, if you arrive earlier than your selected PAT, and the terminal is busy (as it well may be between 10:30-11:30 with all those who want to be "first"), you will be asked to wait outside the terminal until either - it's less busy or your PAT (whichever happens first).

If we get a late PAT I would, of course, show up later. At this point I'm just trying to figure out our ADRs since the date is quickly approaching. So I will hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. ;) I don't need to get there first by any means.

So could someone just clarify ... if we get dropped off by a town car once we are dropped off do we have to go through the garage entrance as if we parked our own car. This is our first cruise and I'm having difficulty with logistics. I know everyone should drop off our bags and then go through security, but wasn't sure where all this was happening at. Thanks for your help in advance.

So could someone just clarify ... if we get dropped off by a town car once we are dropped off do we have to go through the garage entrance as if we parked our own car. This is our first cruise and I'm having difficulty with logistics. I know everyone should drop off our bags and then go through security, but wasn't sure where all this was happening at. Thanks for your help in advance.
No, you will be dropped off in front of the terminal. The street goes between the covered parking and the terminal. There's no need to go up to the 3rd floor to take the flyover into the terminal.

Security is immediately as you enter the terminal (on both levels).

In this picture you can see the flyover from the covered parking to the terminal. The town car will drop you off directly underneath where the flyover is. You can see the street next to the building (coming around on the left hand side of the preferred parking lot.
pc 34 2014 terminal & parking garage 14086a P1020204 Stitch 1500.jpg

No, you will be dropped off in front of the terminal. The street goes between the covered parking and the terminal. There's no need to go up to the 3rd floor to take the flyover into the terminal.

Security is immediately as you enter the terminal (on both levels).

In this picture you can see the flyover from the covered parking to the terminal. The town car will drop you off directly underneath where the flyover is. You can see the street next to the building (coming around on the left hand side of the preferred parking lot.
View attachment 120633
Thank you so much!!!

FYI you will get the same boarding # regardless when you arrive.
For example if you have a 10:30-10:45 arrival time and the computer assigns you a #3 boarding #. If you arrive at 10:30 you will get a 3, if you arrive at 10:45 you will get a 3, if you arrive at 11:00 you will get a 3. If they have already started boarding and are on boarding # 10. You will get a 3.
On the other hand if you have a PAT of 12:00-12:15 and the computer assigns you boarding #20 and you arrive at 10:30 you will still get boarding #20

FYI you will get the same boarding # regardless when you arrive.
For example if you have a 10:30-10:45 arrival time and the computer assigns you a #3 boarding #. If you arrive at 10:30 you will get a 3, if you arrive at 10:45 you will get a 3, if you arrive at 11:00 you will get a 3. If they have already started boarding and are on boarding # 10. You will get a 3.
On the other hand if you have a PAT of 12:00-12:15 and the computer assigns you boarding #20 and you arrive at 10:30 you will still get boarding #20

So, we are using DCL transportation and will be on one of the first buses. I'll be trying to get an early PAT but is it possible we'll get a later PAT if I am busy trying to get Palo brunch, Remy dessert, etc....we may have to wait to board even if DCL gets us there early???

Not sure on this one. People have commented both ways. My suggestion is if your reservation promps you to pick a PAT you need to do it. All the early PAT's are not necessarily gone because many people come from the resorts and some people (yikes) fly in the day of their cruise.
Once the boarding starts usually 11:15-11:30 it goes very quickly. The usually have everyone on board by 12:30
If you are taking Disney transportation from the airport the 1st bus leaves about 9am. If you are leaving from a Disney Resort those buses don't start leaving until around 11am.
So if you have a later PAT and don't want to wait in the terminal you may want to catch a later bus.

Last edited:
So, we are using DCL transportation and will be on one of the first buses. I'll be trying to get an early PAT but is it possible we'll get a later PAT if I am busy trying to get Palo brunch, Remy dessert, etc....we may have to wait to board even if DCL gets us there early???
If you arrive at the terminal via DCL transportation, you will be allowed to enter the terminal, regardless of the actual PAT you selected. I don't recall if this has been covered, but the boarding number (which you receive at check in at the port) is tied to your PAT.

However, and there's some variation in this, you will most likely still receive the same boarding number that you would have received had you arrived at your actual PAT. Although some people, in this situation, have reported that the CM took the boarding number that they were to have had, crossed it out and gave them one more in line with the time they did their actual check in.

So, arriving via DCL bus, you can get into the terminal and check in at whatever time you get there. Whether you will board with an earlier group than you normally would have varies. So you may wait. Well, you will wait some, anyway, as boarding doesn't typically begin until 11:15-11:30.

Does anyone know at what time they allow taxis etc into the port?

Also what is the real-world time at which you're able to be *in air conditioning*? For example I ended up at the Port of Miami way too early for NCL but I was able to check in and wait in a/c well before 10am.

Edit: I'll expand on my question ... I'm concierge so no PAT. When should I get a taxi over from the hotel/car rental place? I don't care about being in the pools early etc, but I'd like to avoid what I've heard described as an overflow/pileup situation at the concierge lounge.
About 10:30 is safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter