1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

When do they start taking down the Christmas decor?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by csummerlin55, Dec 29, 2012.

1. csummerlin55

csummerlin55 Mouseketeer

We have been the week of Thanksgiving and the second week in December. I love the Christmas decor and entertainment but don't care so much for the crowds. Because of work schedules next year we only have a few weeks as options. The week of Christmas and New Year are two of the weeks. I'm thinking maybe I can have a few less crowded days the week of New Year but I'm worried I'll miss out on some of the Christmas stuff. Any idea when thy start taking stuff down and stop the entertainment?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. recmouse

recmouse Mouseketeer

I've been down twice in January and am headed down again next week! Last year I went down around the 15th and there was still some left up. The year before we went down Marathon weekend and there was still plenty left up, especially in EPCOT.

This year we will be arriving on the 6th of January and that's the last night of the Osborne Lights in HS so we are going to make sure we get to see that. I don't think too many of the other Christmas events, like fireworks and castle light shows happen after New Year's.

4. mountdew1

mountdew1 DIS Veteran

The stuff in Epcot stops by years end, the AK holiday version of the parade ends on like Jan 2nd this year. Osborne lights are going til the 6th this year, and odds are the castle will at least be lit at night, even thought they will most likely not have the ceremony. Until the in park decor comes down, it will probablly just be on as it gets dark. The decor will start coming down pretty early in January. I've been there for Marathon weekend 3 years now, and each year stuff starts to disappear while we are still there. By mid January almost everything will be gone. The closer you are to NYE, the more decor will still be up. But to see all the entertainment you need to be there pre holidays.

5. csummerlin55

csummerlin55 Mouseketeer

Any idea when they stop doing the Christmas parade at MK? I saw the last date for MVMCP for 2012 was 12/21. I thought they did the same parade as the one during the party on Christmas Day but didn't know if they did it after that too.

6. Jannephotog

Jannephotog Mouseketeer

I've called the hotel and found out that they take down the Grand Floridian gingerbread houses down the 5th or 6th of January...I'm not sure if they'll have their little store open to buy some, but I'm really hoping so.

Does anyone know when they stop lighting up Cinderella's Castle?

7. DisneyLonghorn21

DisneyLonghorn21 Earning My Ears

The "Mickey Monitor" brochure sent to my house last month says the last day for the castle lights is January 8th!

8. Jannephotog

Jannephotog Mouseketeer

Yay! If I didn't get to see that castle all lit up, I don't think I'd be able to say my trip is fully complete. :banana:

9. Tarheel girl 1975

Tarheel girl 1975 Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We went to WDW Jan 2-10 in 2011. We were able to see the Osborne lights on Jan. 3 and the AK Christmas parade on Jan 5. However we went to MK on Jan 2 and they did not turn on the castle lights.

10. DarcyLongfellow

DarcyLongfellow Earning My Ears

Unfortunately I wouldn't count on that. I was at the Grand Floridian on January 1st this year (2012) and the big house was still up, but no store. The house was a little beat up, too -- it looked like people had broken parts off :-(

11. mom of lil princess

mom of lil princess Mouseketeer

I hope this is correct, we have reservations for tomorrowland dessert party on the 8th and that would be fantastic if the castle was still decorated.