When do school supplies go on sale?

hereyago

Miss My Boy Nubbs
Hi
I have never really paid attention to when school supplies go on sale, but this year is different.
TIA

Normally right after July 4th...at least that is when they usually start. Most of the time Walmart is first to get their products out at the sale price and then the others follow.

Thank you for your quick response.
Last few years, my state has had "tax free school supply weekend" and that will be around August, but it seemed like last year, the prices some places were higher.
DD11 all ready has the basic list, but her teacher will give students a list of possible things, on open house in September.

Check your school system website as well. Our system has list broken down by grade and has it posted a couple of weeks after school gets out.

I have most items since I stocked up quite a bit last year but we will still need a few items. Around here if we wait until the tax free days there is not much left and the best deals are gone.

i'm in NE Alabama and school starts August 10th, so school supplies should be out in stores here next week. however, i've already got most of the things on DD's list. i buy 2-3 things each week, to spread out the cost. DH has been laid off the entire month of june, so not having to buy everything all at once will really help out.

I was looking with my box of extra school supplies and there was a receipt from walmart from 7/7/08 for the 5 cent notebooks. They are coming soon!

Staples had some great penny and quarter deals last year.....anxiously awaiting the sales!!! Especially with three in school :thumbsup2

Our Target already has 2 aisles packed with school supplies, no good deals running yet though but the summer stuff is already on clearance!

My DD got out of school June 2 and she starts Middle School (7th grade) on August 11. The school already sent her the packet of information for the 2009/2010 school year, including the supply list.

We went shopping for her school supplies at WalMart last week because DD is so excited about Middle School and loves to shop for school supplies. The most expensive items on her list were a scientific calculator (I found a Texas Instruments one on sale for $12) and a flash drive ($9). And while it wasn't on the list, she got a pencil case -- an Ed Hardy pencil case -- at Target for $5. All told we spent $65 on school supplies.

My DD got out of school June 2 and she starts Middle School (7th grade) on August 11. The school already sent her the packet of information for the 2009/2010 school year, including the supply list.

We went shopping for her school supplies at WalMart last week because DD is so excited about Middle School and loves to shop for school supplies. The most expensive items on her list were a scientific calculator (I found a Texas Instruments one on sale for $12) and a flash drive ($9). And while it wasn't on the list, she got a pencil case -- an Ed Hardy pencil case -- at Target for $5. All told we spent $65 on school supplies.
What did you spend the other $40 on? That seems really high to me. I typically spend under $10 a child (granted we don't have binders and such) but notebooks and pens and pencils should all be under .10 on sale soon.

Momof1princess: Hope things turn around for your husband:hug:

I am odd, because I love school shopping. I will wait on clothes shopping for tax free weekend.

$40 sounds about right to me for what I have been spending the last 4 years on my kids. we have alot of things added like paper products, hand wash, etc. so it might be a tad more.. I eagerly awaiting the sales also. I have my list and looking forward to buying things here and there until school starts 8/18. I dont even recall us doing the tax free week last year here in Fla as years priors but I could be wrong since dd bought all of her clothes at LT2 with my buck rewards in July. I seriously dont think she needs any clothes to start the year so this year it will be one outfit and some new shoes. Here in south fla it doesnt even get cold till after the new year so christmas time she will get some new pants, etc.

CVS has decided to join the free/cheap school supply list this year and the first ad with freebies comes out this Sunday. I would expect the other stores to start this Sunday also.

Do you need the newspaper ad to get the freebies?
We eliminated our newspaper subscriptions, I wondered if we won't be able to get the free things. Last year we got some great freebies and deals at Staples, but I cant remember if I needed a coupon.

What did you spend the other $40 on? That seems really high to me. I typically spend under $10 a child (granted we don't have binders and such) but notebooks and pens and pencils should all be under .10 on sale soon.

I forgot to mention that she did get a new backpack --- she'd been using the same one for several years and it finally fell apart. That was $15.

So, the other $25 covered the required supplies:
1" binders (3), 2-pocket folders (4), 3-subject notebooks (2), composition notebooks (3), loose leaf paper (4 packs of 150 sheets), pack of 3x5 ruled notecards, 10-pack of pencils, 12-pack of colored pencils, 10-pack of blue pens, 2-pack of red pens, Kleenex. Plus, she got a mechanical pencil+lead which was not on the list.

Did they tell you that any scientific calculator would be ok??? Most school seem to want the TI-83 or 84 and they are around $100.

That is not on my Dd's list but I think they bought them for the school a couple of years back and they just check them out. Not sure though.

Did they tell you that any scientific calculator would be ok??? Most school seem to want the TI-83 or 84 and they are around $100.

That is not on my Dd's list but I think they bought them for the school a couple of years back and they just check them out. Not sure though.

Our kids don't need those until 9th grade. In 7th they just need a standard scientific calculator.

I think it depends on where you live. I was in Target today and they are starting to set up. Here in Missouri they go on sale in July

Keep an eye on target.com, walmart.com, walgreens, office max, etc. You can find their local flyers online without having to subscribe to the paper. Over the course of the next 2 months, you should be able to get most of your supplies on sale. I have a friend who took her whole family (3 kids and hubby) to each store's school supply sale to get around the "limits." Costco has great looking backpacks and lunchboxes out already. For the last 2 years Toys R Us had a "buy a backpack, get a lunchbox free" deal.

I miss the bargain-shopping for school supplies. My kids go to private schools that ask for a check (~$100) for school supplies. It's convenient, but a very overpriced way to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter