when did Virgin stop allowing you to prebook your seats?

It looks like the only option is to keep logging in to 'manage my flight' after Nov 1st and see if Virgin are opening the seat allocation once the new system is in place. As someone who has tried to check in online on 2 previous trips to no avail (problems with my youngest son's passport), seat assignment by this method also isn't going to happen :sad2:

Have you considered leaving your youngest son at home? I find kids are so ungrateful these days, he would appreciate future holidays if you left him at home for once....:rotfl2:

Have you considered leaving your youngest son at home? I find kids are so ungrateful these days, he would appreciate future holidays if you left him at home for once....:rotfl2:
Is that so that you can come with us instead Mrs Hobbes -Snorkey?????

I actually find some of the replies on this thread really sad and quite pathetic.

The 'I am going to stamp my feet if I dont get what I want' attitude really annoys me.

At the end of the day you do not pre book seats with Virgin it is only a request. A REQUEST!! Which means it can be changed at short notice.

As for saying that it will be the last time people use Virgin. Great! More choice for us. We always fly Virgin and have nothing but praise for the airline and staff.

Some people really do need to get a life. There are far more important things to worry about in this world.

And as for wanting to take up 3 window seats for one family. That is plain selfish IMHO!

It looks like the only option is to keep logging in to 'manage my flight' after Nov 1st and see if Virgin are opening the seat allocation once the new system is in place. As someone who has tried to check in online on 2 previous trips to no avail (problems with my youngest son's passport), seat assignment by this method also isn't going to happen :sad2:

We had the same, but that said, we were always seated together in any event and ended up with good seats.

Just to bring a reality check, you can always fly BA instead and pay £28 per person, per sector of your journey, to pre book your seats. I am not rushing over to try fly VA, but not because of seating requests. It's plain and simple for me - they have never beat my best quote so I've gone with the best offer.

Have you tried again? just heard they have started allowing pre-booking again for some flights. Might be worth trying.

Sadly not for me unfortunately ...... still on the up side at least this will mean I will have to get my a**e into gear and do the online check in EXACTLY 24 hours beforehand :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Great news - my wife was really worrying about our return on 3/11 - she's a fairly nervous flyer, was worried about being split up, and didn't want to rely on checkin requests.

Yes, I understand they can still be changed, but she doesn't need to know that :). Of course she might read this. Hello dear! Don't worry, sure it'll be fine!

Funnily enough, I'd booked these flights on day 1 back in December, requested the seats then, and the ones I requested were still allocated when I checked just now. Goodness knows what they're doing to their software that's taken so long, but at least they managed to migrate data across.

Funnily enough I've just had both a text and an email from them telling me I can now book my seats!

I tried last night but no joy - just got the text and could get back the seats we booked last year yippee.

To the poster who thought this was an insignificant problem - well it takes all sorts and clearly what is a deal breaker for me is not a huge problem for you. When I book I assume the terms and conditions of my booking will hold good. If they don't then next time I spend my money I look elsewhere. Glad you are happy with Virgin.

I just got an email yesterday telling me seats are now available for our flight, just checked and still have the original ones we reserved when we booked in December '11 very pleased about this :):):)

I read on another thread that if you pre-book seats the only way to keep your pre-booked seats is to do online check in?

Is this correct?

I understand that the pre-booking is only a request but does this mean that if I choose to check in at the desk rather than online my pre-booking will be void?

I'm not comfortable doing online check in and would rather check in face to face with a person.

Basically I'm asking, can I pre-book my seats, check in at the desk at the normal time, and still have as much chance of getting my pre-booked seats?

Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question, I'm very new at all this holiday planning :/

I read on another thread that if you pre-book seats the only way to keep your pre-booked seats is to do online check in?

Is this correct?

I understand that the pre-booking is only a request but does this mean that if I choose to check in at the desk rather than online my pre-booking will be void?

I'm not comfortable doing online check in and would rather check in face to face with a person.

Basically I'm asking, can I pre-book my seats, check in at the desk at the normal time, and still have as much chance of getting my pre-booked seats?

Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question, I'm very new at all this holiday planning :/

Your pre-booking won't be void but you have more chance of them changing your seats. If eveyone else has done theirs online and someone turns up that needs seats (medical, young children etc) then they will give them away if you have not done online check in.
In recent years I have only once not done OLCI, got to the airport to be split up so yes it does happen if you don't do it online.
Not sure what you find uncomfortable about but it is nothing to do, takes a few minutes. Just about eveyone does it.
Your choice, you know the risks.

I'm just the type of person who is more comfortable doing something face to face than online, I'm sure a lot of people are the same.

I didn't know any of this in August and we got our seats together just fine, so ill hope for the same luck again.

Thanks for the information

I'm just the type of person who is more comfortable doing something face to face than online, I'm sure a lot of people are the same.

I didn't know any of this in August and we got our seats together just fine, so ill hope for the same luck again.

Thanks for the information

You can do online check in and still go the desk to collect your boarding cards.

For us personally its not worth the risk - we always do online check in. Takes a couple of mins and you can't really do anything wrong.

You can do online check in and still go the desk to collect your boarding cards.

For us personally its not worth the risk - we always do online check in. Takes a couple of mins and you can't really do anything wrong.

Is that right? The reason I have never done online check in is becasue I don't have a printer at home so could not print off my boarding cards. Maybe we'll try it next time-only 359 days to go....:cool1:

Is that right? The reason I have never done online check in is becasue I don't have a printer at home so could not print off my boarding cards. Maybe we'll try it next time-only 359 days to go....:cool1:

Out of all the times I have printed my boarding passes I think they have only accepted them once, everytime they re-print at the airport.
Coming home I do OLCI but don't have a printer in Florida so collect boarding passes at airport.
Printing is totally optional for OLCI.

I have found that if you are dropping luggage off to check in, all airlines seem to like to give you a proper boarding pass even if you have online check-in. I was disappointed when I wanted to use my new BA Android app as my boarding pass my last flight - they printed me out a paper boarding pass anyway when I dopped my bags.

I have a feeling it is to help the staff at the gate - I think they find it quicker to use the boarding passes printed at check-in.

I don't have a printer at home so could not print off my boarding cards:

You should buy a printer then and stop being so tight!!!! (and before everyone has a go about this comment - She is my Dsis so I'm allowed!):rotfl2:

You should buy a printer then and stop being so tight!!!! (and before everyone has a go about this comment - She is my Dsis so I'm allowed!):rotfl2:

ooh the riff-raff you let on here:rotfl:
Thanks everyone for the help-will definitley try OLCI next time. And Tink, you know what to get me and Snorky for Christmas....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter